back to article Starship Voyager dumped into skip

One Trekkie's dream of boldly going where no interior designer has gone before appears to be over – thanks to his estranged wife, who has decided his starship Voyager-themed flat isn't entirely suitable for the terrestrial housing market. Former DJ Tony Alleyne, 58, has spent 10 years and a wad of cash coverting the one-bed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

@TimeMaster T

"At least he followed his dream and actually did it. How many of us have said "that would be so cool if I could do that""

And then reality rears it's ugly head ...

Me, I was in IT for around thirty years (and a SciFi fan). Over my last seven full-time years in IT, I conceived, and built my Wife's horse ranch. Now I'm pseudo-retired (if sun-up to often way past sun-down work on a horse ranch, 7 days per week, can be considered "retired" ...), but I'm a hell of a lot happier that J. Random Trekkie seems to be.

Again, think "perspective". It's kinda important, year to year (Are you really a "time master"? What does that mean, exactly?). Halloween costumes are all well and good, but they hardly pays the bills ... unless you are in the costume business.

1. Putonghua73
    Pint

You are all Norm, and I claim my free point

Although the initial postings conformed to my expectations from reading this thread, I am amused, surprised and disturbed by the serious amount of interior design knowledge displayed by a predominantly male set of commentators.

Oatmeal?

Vases with twigs and stones?

Reminds me of that episode of Cheers where Norm displays a previously undisclosed talent for interior design, and even fakes being gay to fit the part. Despite possessing the taken to make a serious amount of money to whatever field he puts his mind, he's happy enough to drink beer, eat peanuts and be accepted by his small drinking circle - even if that means putting up with Cliff's sense of his own self-importance - at the bar where everyone knows his name.

What I really want to know is when 'burnt orange' stopped being fashionable to paint one's lounge?

1. Putonghua73
      FAIL

Goddamn predictive text

Pint!

2. Unlimited
    Boffin

Dismantle. Move. Reassemble. ??? Profit.

wtf did he build it out of that it cannot be moved? Surely it's just mdf, screws and glue right?

3. Timbo

Hasn't he been trying to sell the place already?

I seem to recall seeing a TV news item about this place - it's certainly been featured on a few news programs in recent years - and IIRC, he had put the place up for sale (with it's Star Trek theme intact) some time back.....

Seems the ex-wife has given up being patient and wants her share of the money back.

Seems a shame to just "bin" it - eBay would seem to be a sensible option http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/meh_32.png

4. Timbo
    Trollface

..and the designers website is still going...

Last updated: December 2011 - http://www.24thcid.com/Default.asp?xa=1

5. Prag Fest
    Thumb Up

"transported to the bankruptcy courts"

Killing line Lester :)

6. heyrick Silver badge

The way the world is these days, how long 'til someone says...

"Voyager themed flat? Awesome. Now where's your licence for the use of our intellectual property. Oh, and there are pictures of this on the internet, so you'll need worldwide distribution rights too..."

7. natmangee

Been around for years.. Back in the news again.. From what i remember last time around, the flat has had major issues. No-one will *ever* buy it and its all a bit too well "fitted" to be removed in a modular way afaik..

Best i reckon he can hope for is remove it as intact as possible, sell flat, and try to offload the graphic panelsand bits to enthusiats somewhere.

All of the pieces really are incredibly faithful reproductions, but at a couple, to a handful, of hundreds of pounds each, he's not going to make his 100-odd grand back thats for sure!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He violated the prime directive.

Unfortunately the prime directive in a relationship is 'don't piss off your partner.'

While I might not want to decorate my home the same way he has, I do admire what he's done.

9. Coofer Cat
    Holmes

Craftsman?

You've got to admire his craftsmanship, and since it took 10 years - his dedication too. It's a shame his business doing this sort of thing didn't work out, and it's a shame he did all this in a flat that's not his. It's also a shame he can't get a decent job so he can buy the flat off his Mrs.

All said and done, I can't imagine wanting to live in a place like that, but I admire the guy for doing something bold, imaginative and impressive. As someone above said, I hope he can sell it for parts rather than just dump[ it in a skip.

10. thejackle
    Facepalm

Wife should be thankful....

..that it wasn't the programme "Changing Rooms" that he was obsessed with. She'd have no f***ing chance of selling the flat then.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems a shame to dispose of it

Why not donate the whole setup to a bar or nightclub?

A few blinkenlights and it would look very impressive.

AC/DC

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.