nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Police reject Labour MP's call for Bristol-wide DNA test

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

DNA specimens

"I'm interested with what they did with all the DNA specimens..."

They keep them. Forever.

Pint

anyboady else

""It is a massive task to do a DNA swab for the whole of the city "

anyboady else get a image of a gient cotten swab and hundruds of officers waving it round the streets or was it only me?

And you think any other MP would be different?

Sorry, but the function of an MP is to get himself re-elected and score popularity points with his constituents, representing a constituency for what they actually need went out the window for most MPs a long time ago. Very few MPs understand reality.

Talking of DNA, why just Bristol, the M5 wasn't far away, what's to say it was someone living locally. Also, the larger your DNA sample, the less use it is, and the more likely a false positive. It's better always to narrow your field and then home in, than take a large sample and then use DNA as the killer blow, so to speak. Some groups have high commonality of alleles, so again that degrades blanket testing. If you test the whole of Bristol, what happens to all the other crimes that need testing, or that one high probability sample that gets taken and then lost in the morass of others. You also need to be sure that you have some of the perps DNA, and not just some passing punter from the local pub.

Yeah, the idea's nuts, but I can think of a few Lib Dems and Tories who would have made the same stupid suggestion, basically because they don't know any better.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing