back to article Google Cr-48: Inside the Chrome OS 'unstable isotope'

Microsoft gives you the Windows Explorer. Apple gives you the Mac OS X Finder. And Google gives you, well, nothing. With Google's Chrome OS – the browser-based operating system that reached a handful of outside beta testers late last week – there's no ready means of browsing files on your own machine. In their lightning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jim Preis
    Black Helicopters

Wonders...

...how many authors/conspiracy theorists herein that are worried about trust and their data on other people's clouds are running their own e-mail servers in their domiciles?

<sarc>

I guess that's different.

</sarc>

Jimbodidium

1. M Gale

Because that's totally the same thing!

Ever heard of a local email reader? Y'know, like Outlook Express, for a really awful example?

I know the tendency is to webmail a heck of a lot of stuff, but there's a big difference between a service that's used to transfer shit from someone else to you, and a service where shit stays because it can't be transferred to you.

And as said already, there's some interesting implications when it comes to ownership of "cloud" data.

2. rvt
    FAIL

Just one app?

I don't understand,

when I got my C64, I got a simple terminal basic thingy, when I got my Amiga, I got a single amiga basic thingy. When I got my first PC I had a single DOS thingy.

later I got good computer with applications, full control what I could do and could not do (but did anyways) I could play a game on my desk, later on my sofa... I could bring it on hollidays and at places where I couldn't reach a BBS.

No google comes with the same thing, a single computer with a single app that only works at a place where there is internet?!?!?!

My god... this is going back like 20 years again, a single computer with a single app.

3. Alan Bourke
    Pint

Niche.

Quite a sizeable niche, probably, but niche.

4. Neal 5

So many missing one point about it.

What is Googles main purpose?

Do I really want to be blitzed by ads without the ability to be able to do anything about it. It'll be ads when I boot up, ads when I login, ads when accessing "my" data, ads when I surf any website, ads when I log off.And worse, I'll have to pay for the privilege. It's more than just a money making machine for Google,and so many people will go for it, it defies sanity.

Just proves the power of advertising, along with the gullibility of people. Still, if you want to end up paying to work for Google, what can I say, you have free will. It's bad enough having to work 6 months of the year for the taxman. Still, a sucker born every minute, Google just soaks them up. What's going to happen when they have to start sharing with Apple or Microsoft.?

I'll not be buying into this concept Thank You very much, nor Apples version, nor Microsofts.

5. Rob 103
    Happy

Hello

Some people are really very short-sighted. Yes, this is to a large extent an experiment. One which may work or may not work. No-one on this forum knows the answer, no matter how smart-ass the comments sound.

Regarding the argument "why would I want to store my data in the cloud omg how stoopid can you get google are so f*cking thick", I had a thought (prompted by a previous comment):

I have a NAS device at home, its not a huge stretch to imagine a "Google Cloud" service installed on it that allows me to access the data from my ChromeBook, and play movies/music etc. In fact, you could probably do this already. Now, my data is in the "cloud" but hey - its still sitting under my desk at home*.

*with copies regularly backed up to tape and stored in a fire-proof safe, naturally.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

designed for the faceless masses

Chrome OS is a product designed for a market segment which I'm sure Google has invested considerable time and money researching. Specifically, people who invest about as much neurological activity thinking about a personal computer as they would, let's say -- a toaster. Glazed eyes and quizzical expressions in response to any technological challenge beyond “this is where you turn it on…” and “this is where you turn it off”. A sizable market segment, to be sure. Google will undoubtedly enjoy the same overwhelming success as other attempts to tap into this “collective aardvark consciousness” that were demonstrated by similar products such as a certain “web PC” product a few years ago 

7. Spearchucker Jones
    Grenade

Google calls this "defense in depth,"

Lol :-) That term was so not coined by Google.

However, leaving that aside for a minute, I'd love to see their threat model. I pretty sure they've covered all the bases. Except privacy. The part where they get to trawl through... everything!

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dumb implementation

Why are ANY localised files stored?

Surely all customisation and session data should be held in googles cloud.

How on earth can an OS that only has to run a browser take 12 seconds to load?

They are obviously using the wrong OS - Try an amigalike OS, or uCLinux, or even QNX type OS and get a boot time < 1 second. You don't even need memory management.

What a dumb implementation.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like