back to article Shopping mall mulls Supreme Court bid to back no-speaking ban

A California shopping mall may ask the State Supreme Court to defend its ban on its patrons speaking to one another except to ask where the toilet is. Judges on the 3rd District Court of Appeal last week ruled that the Westfield Galleria in Roseville's ban on a visitor "approaching patrons with whom he or she was not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. James Micallef Silver badge
    Pint

fail on both sides

This sky-fairy dude should recognise that he is soliciting clients on someone else's private property. the mall has every right to ask him to leave if he does not comply with their rules

The mall should recognise that the whole citizens-arrest malarkey was uncalled for, and could have dealt with the issue a lot more subtly

Just chill dudes!!!

(and have a beer)

2. Keith Wingate
    IT Angle

Freedom means choices

As an agnostic I always give street-corner preachers, door-to-door Jesus-salesfolk, airport Hare-Krishna's, etc. the polite brushoff. I do take the Jews-For-Jesus pamphlets because they're entertaining, although I'm neither Jewish nor a Christ-worshipper. But I've never had a problem with this. People seem to understand pretty quickly that I'm not a very good prospect.

I'm a lot more offended by people trying to spray me with perfumes which will have me sneezing for a few hours, or (back in the day) nicotine addicts who don't understand why, "Yes, I do mind if you smoke". If the guy had a megaphone and was blasting "Christian Music" (most of which seems to be neither, from what I can tell) I'd be offended. But "Have you heard about Jesus?" "No, thank you" and you keep walking ... I don't see the problem. If you don't like that you can't talk to folks at the mall, go to a different mall, in a different State if you must.

Oh that's right, they smoke in Arizona. I guess you have to make your choices and live with them.

The law of course, won't stand up in court (freedom of Assembly is guaranteed in the US Bill of Rights).

3. John Savard

Shopping Malls are for Shoppers

And if someone without paying rent to the mall owner tries to sell them stuff, proselytize for a religion, or beg for a handout, kicking such a one out the door is routine and unproblematic in almost any country in the world.

In the U.S., however, I've read of a court case which prevented a major city's subway system from expelling panhandlers from its subway stations.

I find this insane. First Amendment rights protect people from persecution for engaging in political debate. They ensure that newspapers won't be shut down for criticizing the government.

Actions, like making a nuisance of oneself, should not be considered protected speech. That has nothing to do with allowing the people to consider all possibilities when making decisions about political issues.

4. LARPKitten
    Thumb Down

Vote with your feet.

This is one mall I would never buy from again, were I in that area.

I wouldn't mind a ban on religious propaganda, or solicitation, but general speaking? That's obviously over the line. My wallet wouldn't open even a millimeter in the presence of anyone dumb enough to try and push those rules on me.

5. Scott Wichall
    FAIL

Ahhh

California, home to a lot of the worlds authoritarian, weapons grade cockwafts.

Enough said really.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I never thought...

I'd stand up for an evangelist, but hey,

"I'd like to talk to you about Jesus"

"No thanks: goodbye"

But... It seems his audience was willing. Had they complained?

It never fails to astonish how some Americans interpret this "land of the free" thing. Maybe China ought to give them democracy... or something.

7. Neoc

Interesting

You may be interested to know that most "shopping centres" (at least here in Oz) and quite a few alcohol-dispensing establishments have a placard at the front listing the "rules" you agree to by entering the premises. One of them is that management reserves the right to refuse you entry or to have you leave the premises without providing justifications.

I'm not sure if this has ever been tested in court, but the fat the signs are still up would tend to indicate that either no-one has yet contested this, or it has been contested and lost.

1. Ole Juul

Not give a reason?

"One of them is that management reserves the right to refuse you entry or to have you leave the premises without providing justifications."

I do think that justification is required in most countries. Otherwise one could refuse blacks (or whatever) and just not give a reason.

1. EvilGav 1

You don't have to . . .

. . . give a reason, but most will make up any reason they want.

For example, my local (with the backing of all regular patrons), bans anyone wearing burberry (chav's), wearing Lyle & Scott (irritating chav's), having "popped" collars (twats).

Those are the house rules - arbitrary, no basis for anything really, but they get enforced.

8. skeptical i

"Excuse me, do you have a minute to talk about ...

* ... getting (political issue or candidate) onto this year's ballot? I'm collecting signatures." Malls have been given the authority to 86 petition signature gatherers.

* ... how Product XYZ has improved my life? I have some samples and information here." Malls have been allowed to show peddlers the door.

* ... a survey I'm doing for a class project? It's only three questions, won't take but a minute." Malls can evict research- gathering students.

* ... ($deity)? I have good news about ($deity)'s plan for you, if you'd like to chat." Apparently these folks get a pass.

In all instances, the solicitors are at the mall for the purpose of selling something and the passers-by could all give a "Sorry, not interested" and be done with it. In each instance there is the possibility of benefit being conveyed to the solicitee (maybe not as much in #3), and in no instance is there harm being done by the asking.

So, why would the pastor have a stronger "free speech" case than my petition passer (who would most likely be booted regardless of how many people chose to discuss the issue/ candidate and sign the petition)?

9. Ascylto
    Big Brother

How to stay out of gaol ...

" "

The End.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because you're worth it.

Snatchko then, unsurprisingly, sued the mall and the security firm, and as the Bee puts it, is seeking "damages in an unspecified amount for false imprisonment, assault, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence, malicious prosecution, and a general violation of his rights under California's Civil Rights Act"

And this is exactly how many steps away from the kinds of adverts that ask "Have YOU had an accident at work"?

Why is it that - even though the bloke was clearly wronged and the mall would have done naff-all about the problem if they weren't sued - this whole thing just strikes me as rather petulant?

11. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

The "weirdos" cause problems for everyone

"It seems that US law has decided that certain types of "private" property are not private in respect of Free Speech rights, as they are to a certain extent public areas."

This is actually just California. Federally, well, I know locally I have not seen ANY mall allow people to set up tables.

Anyway... frankly, you Brits that are saying "tolerate religious types", please recall the US is the home of the religious nutter. Of course there's plenty of normal religious types here that would be polite, set up a table and wait for people to talk to them. But if permitted, some will use bullhorns, they'll tell people they are going to hell (not even trying to convert people, just telling them they're screwed), they will go right up to people and not go away even if told to, they will follow people right to their cars. And probably try to slap bumper stickers on them while they are driving away. I have seen people that are like "OK, thanks, I've got to go" (too polite to say "STFU"), and speed up walking a little, they are followed -- speed up more, followed -- basically they'll be jogging and the religious type is still following them talking! The problem this causes for ALL people trying to push a religion is, before long, the "weirdos" will hear somehow that the polite religious types have not been bothered in some location and will start showing up -- therefore, to avoid the weirdos malls etc. end up with a blanket ban.

Anyway.. it does sound like this mall was a bit heavy-handed, if the article is all there was to it. I do question this though -- was he and these ladies having a chat, or where they trying to walk away and he following after them? The main issue, the mall official should REALLY have STFU before saying anybody that wants to talk in the mall must fill out a form!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.