back to article Giraffe hacks printers worldwide to promote God-awful YouTuber. Did we read that one right?

Did your work printer produce a strange call to action this week, urging you to follow a tasteless twerp on YouTube, and then offer you a "bro fist" made up of punctuation marks? Hopefully not because if it did someone in your IT department has really screwed up and failed to patch a two-year-old security hole. But thousands …

Page:

1. HiImBlank

Re: Babysitters are for babies

I Know I’m Adorable.

1. Eddy Ito

So no like people working in the tv industry they are not assholes.

Right, TV folk are just self-important, narcissistic, self promoters and completely unlike these Youtubers you speak of. Oh wait...

On another note, I've concluded we're dealing with a parody of the PDP-11. Clearly lacking the skills of Ocean's 11.

1. Poppy Harlow

And the world is such a better place having people like you in it. Spewing utter hatred on subscribers who watch a man review memes. Fuck me.

1. HiImBlank

TRUTH!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the likes of Facebook, YouTube, etc. created them

nah, they didn't create them, they were always "out there", those media just gave them an outlet to be seen in all their glory. Remember Lem, "I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet". It's not creation, it's a (painful) revelation.

What's more, when people used to by shy about being stupid, now they wear it as a badge of honour, as can be seen in this thread.

3. HiImBlank

So... I Guess I’m An Askhole Now? I Thought For Sure That I Was An Blank. But Ok. Thanks For Helping Me Find My Identity? I Guess?

1. Tromos
    Joke

If they ever find this giraffe guy, I hope they stretch his neck.

1. SVV

Ironically enough, given the huge cost of printer ink cartridges, a long stretch may be exactly what he ends up receiving.

2. macjules
      Coat

I am sure that he will have some tall tales to say in his defence. He has after all stuck his neck out a bit too far.

2. Maelstorm Bronze badge
    Trollface

One must always question the intelligence of the people who watch YouTube.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Megaphone

Feed the troll

> question the intelligence ...

Yes, I see the icon. In fact there is plenty of cerebral content on YouTube (see my subs list, passim) but you wouldn't find it by random sampling, I suspect.

FWIW, I signpost you all to Objectivity, Veritassium and Exurb1a, in no particular order.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"One must always question the intelligence of the people who watch YouTube."

I've observed in the past that when I was a teenager I wrote computer games, my older son as a teenager played computer games and my younger son as a teenager watched other people playing computer games on YouTube.

1. jake Silver badge

"when I was a teenager I wrote computer games, my older son as a teenager played computer games and my younger son as a teenager watched other people playing computer games on YouTube."

And going back another generation, as teenagers/early twenties we built hardware so we could run a flight simulator. In 64K of RAM.

3. Teiwaz

No question

One must always question the intelligence of the people who watch YouTube.

No need, the answers right there in the comments of every youtube video.

And the answer scarily enough is slime* to none.

* initially a typo, but it's actually more accurate.

4. Tomato42

go watch PBS Space Time and then you can talk about intelligence of people that watch YouTube

just like with TV, there is "reality TV" garbage and there is Planete and NGC; just like with books, there is 50 Shades of Gray and there is Animal Farm or Foundation

the medium does not define the quality of work in it

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      FAIL

Remember how YouTube started? Farting Hippos wasn't it - not much has changed.

1. Soruk

I thought it was a certain wardrobe malfunction.

3. Chris Miller

Why open port 9100?

Even the cheapest routers don't expose port 9100 by default, so people must have made a decision to do so and have the technical smarts (hardly difficult, but beyond 90% of the population) to implement it. I would have thought (clearly incorrectly) that anyone capable of doing this deliberately would consider the consequences - rather like walking around with a large 'kick me' notice pinned to your back.

It goes to show that, no matter how dumb the security vulnerability, you can always find thousands of examples with a simple Internet search.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Joke

Re: Why open port 9100?

All will be explained in easily-digested moving pictures :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22port+9100%22

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Boffin

IPv6 might have it open... just sayin'

1. Dwarf

@bob seems to be confused by the purpose of a firewall.

Nothing to do with IPv6.

1. Twanky

'Nothing to do with IPv6.'

Erm... yes it could be. IPv6 can make devices reachable when they were not on IPv4.

1. Dwarf

No, firewalls do the same function on ipv4 and ipv6. If you have an insecure network design then that has nothing to do with the protocol version.

If you are implying some security benefit of say NAT to protect things, then refer to all the public guidance that NAT is not a security technology. It never has been and it never will be.

3. Glen 1

UPnP enabled by default would do it.

4. simonnj

Unless if the router has UPNP turned on and the printer has opened it up.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Trollslayer
    Facepalm

Not a surprise

I test embedded products and last year was doing NTP testing with Wireshark looking for DHCP renewal packets.

I noticed some leap second packets from unknown devices and on a whim opened the addresses in a browser - it was some quite pricey HP laser printers/scanners whose web interface didn't have a default password.

5. TheProf
    Happy

Absolute Garbage

"It is, in this hack's opinion, absolute garbage. And it's been watched 41 million times so far."

Well thank goodness you didn't provide a link to it. You know how curious people are.

1. Poppy Harlow

Re: Absolute Garbage

Ah you see, that might expose people the things outside the microcosm of the article that the publisher wants you to believe. Can’t be having that.

2. beast666

Yes, the video turns out to be absolute genius to boot!

3. squigbobble
      Coat

I've watched it and it's very slightly better than the crap Team10 (Logan and/or Jake Paul) used to put out, with the significant difference that it's recycling an old meme instead of inadvertently creating one. The whole thing's deliberately low effort... well, I hope it was deliberate.

6. arctic_haze

Two thoughts

First, I do have a printer at work which can be used (and abused) from anywhere on the globe. I know that because I printed a document being in a different city, No password was needed.

Second, even if people are as careless as my admins, the guy could be criminally prosecuted in the USA and possibly in other countries.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Two thoughts

Were you on your work VPN at the time? Then you can usually print to any printer onthe network, wherever you are. In my workplace this tends to mostly happen when someone visits another office and forgets to change the default printer. However, you should still need a password to access the VPN.

7. FrançoisL

Calm down

Why insult Pewdiepie so much. He is a source of entertainment like anyother. It's just for a younger audience like teenagers. Beside all of that, he had nothing to do with rhe hacking so why be so mad?

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Calm down

Aww mate, mate. Mate, why you have to have a go at pewdiepie for? Mate? aww, mate. Mate! Mate, why you have to have a go at pewdiepie for? Mate? Aww, mate!

1. upsidedowncreature

He's not even a real pie.

2. HiImBlank

I Know, Sabroni. Glad You Agree That Pewdiepie Shouldn’t Recieving The Hate Because Of An Hacker. Mate.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

tl;dr "Awwww mum, you don't understand me!!!"

Don't worry kids, in a few years time you'll be the "old timers", and you'll be the ones on the receiving end of such sockpuppetry and whining.

To quote PTerry:

‘We Shall Overcome’ is a song which, in various languages, is common on every known world in the multiverse. It is always sung by the same people, viz., the people who, when they grow up, will be the people who the next generation sing 'We Shall Overcome’ at.

8. Luckayy

articles like this are just stupid

how to get a lot of money by writing articles...

make articles about pewdiepie being a "moron" and a "racist"

articles like this get a lot of attention which just prompts more big companies to write stupid articles like this...

they have used someone who has just taken the joke to far and hacked people to criticise pewdiepie

yes i agree hacking thousands of people just for this is bad, but why do you have to criticise pewdiepie its not like he did the hacking.

stop sitting on your computer or on your phone looking at articles worrying what people like to do on the internet you middle aged mom's and go watch some TV or something to entertain yourself

1. HiImBlank

Re: articles like this are just stupid

EXACTLY!

2. bitwise

Re: articles like this are just stupid

You know nothing about how much journalists are paid.

He did get people to hold up anti semetic signs.

His videos are clearly moronic.

9. Poppy Harlow

Representee of the 9 Year Old Army

You seem to be absolutely hell bent on demonising who quite frankly, doesn’t deserve it. He’s absolutely slipped up in the past and admittedly done and said some really regrettable shit (stuff that I do not condone, for the record) but I think you’re chosing to over look facts here; he’s an entertainer, he makes jokes. He has to be over the top and be obnoxious. Welcome to YouTube, where the loudest and the flashiest rise to the top. They’re not only trying their best to be entertaining to their fans, but are also having to battle a forever changing algorithm.

I’m not saying his supposed ‘anti-semitic’ behaviour is simply a joke and he can say do whatever he wants and get away with it. The ‘death to all Jews’ segment (which most people including Pewdiepie don’t find the subject matter inherently funny, it’s the severity of it, because they know it’s not right) is the sort of joke you would maybe make behind closed doors with friends. It was really stupid and regrettable to post it publically (and again, I don’t really condone it), but he’s absolutely acknowledged the criticisms he’s faced, and even asked people to keep him accountable going forward. Also, please don’t even try to pretend that you’re above it. Yourself and everyone reading this article I’m sure at one point have all made over the top jokes with our friends, Pewdiepie just a bit stupidly posted it to his large audience.

Now, with regards to your clearly not biased view that he’s an awful YouTuber desperately trying every dirty method he can to claw his way to stay at the top, and trash T Series, a innocent Bolywood channel along the way, which I’m guessing you think is some sort of premeditated racist attack on Indian people as well. Again. It’s all a joke. I don’t think he even really started this ‘campaign’, it seemed to have been sparked by another channel called Mr Beast, where he created an almost call to arms movement trying to keep Pewdiepie number one. Using billboards, radio messages as well as his relevance to spread his message. And just seems to me like Pewdiepie is going along with the joke. As a someone who has watched YouTube for years (and watches it over TV and film normally) I don’t think I ever been so engaged as a viewer, this constantly evolving debuckle is absolutely hilarious, and it’s so funny to see how just when we think it all over and T Series is going to win (which absolutely fair play if they do, their number and statistics are absolutely unreal, and their audience obviously loves their channel), something happens to keep the flame alive. And Pewdiepie knows this, and will do all that he can to make this entertaining for his fans.

He’s even publicly stated that he honestly does not care if he dethroned as number one most subscribed. That’s because to him, the thing more important that status and an arbitrary statistic are the people behind those numbers; his fans. So when this does run out of steam and T Series eventually and rightfully do take over, I’ll still be watching Pewdiepie. I truly love his honesty personality and content, and it really has made me truly smile during some tougher times in my life. And I think I speak for every 9 year old when I say this; I will always be a fan.

So in summary; your points are full of shit, your research is non-existant and it’s pretty clear you have no idea what you’re talking about. Go find some else to write an article on and leave good, honest people alone.

Also, he’s a “streamer” and makes videos on games? lol. That might actually make his content original!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Representee of the 9 Year Old Army

Poppy, making anti-semitic jokes is wrong wherever you do it, you're still a terrible person but you're only a terrible person in front of a small number of people.

Unless you've got 70million plus people watching you.

If you think that sort of 'over the top joke' is acceptable then you need to take a long hard look at your your life and circle of friends.

Handy tip, to help work out if a 'joke' is acceptable, try replacing 'Jews' with one of the terms of abuse used by racists, mysoginists, homphobes etc. etc. and see how acceptable those jokes are then.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Besides, he should've posted a teeny tiny DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A TEST TO SHOW THAT PEOPLE CAN GET AWAY WITH RACIST/HOMOPHOBIC/WHATEVER JOKES. THIS IS NOT INTENDED. I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO CAUSE ANY HARM.

He didn't.

1. HiImBlank

Waseem... If You Knew That It Was An Joke, Why Are You So Offened By It As If This Was New News?

2. HiImBlank

Wait, Why Are We Even Talking About The Anti-Semitic Mistake That Occured Years Ago? This Article Is About An Hacker Hacking Printers To Support Pewdiepie, And Has Nothing To Do With Pewdiepie’s Accident Years Ago.. So WhY ArE We TaLkInG AbOUt It?!

2. JohnFen

"is the sort of joke you would maybe make behind closed doors with friends."

Umm, no, it's not.

"please don’t even try to pretend that you’re above it."

Please don't try to pretend that you know what people you've never heard from would or would not do.

"your clearly not biased view that he’s an awful YouTuber"

I think the issue isn't whether or not he's an awful YouTuber. The issue is whether or not he's an awful human being.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No... The REAL Question, Is Why Is There An Amount Of Hate Between Pewdiepie Fans And The Media?

10. Zig

Let me do their job for them as they’re so incompetent

Pewdiepie is YouTube’s number one most subscribed YouTuber with 70+ million subscribers!

This article has shamed him and slandered him!

Felix in the past made a joke to do with a death threat to all Jews. It was a joke to see how at he could stretch the limits of a website. News articles took this joke out of context to make him look like a neo Nazi which he is most certainly not.

Today Pewdiepie is no longer the loud, screaming and obnoxius youtuber this article claims him to be who plays video games all day, as today he is a humble nice guy who reviews internet jokes on YouTube, he rarely plays games and when he does he adds commentary which is a nice touch.

This print hack was done to increase his subscriber count of his channel as he is facing being dethroned from the top spot on YouTube as most subscribed channel. His fans have made it their duty to keep him on top of YouTube and this is a hacker who is trying to help pewdiepie!

Thank you for reading,

1. squigbobble

Slander vs. libel

Google the difference between them.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like