back to article Support whizz 'fixes' screeching laptop with a single click... by closing 'malware-y' browser tab

Welcome once more to On Call, our weekly column where Reg readers share their tales of tech support problems solved. This week, meet "Arron", who told us about a user who got in touch to complain about a broken laptop, requesting a replacement. "I love it when they're vague and immediately go for the new-shiny-shiny approach …

1. GlenP Silver badge

Re: Foodie Friday

I acquired a decent laptop in a similar way. The user had managed to load it with so much malware he just gave up and bought a new one.

Admittedly it wasn't the easiest wipe and reinstall I've ever done (it took a while to get the thing to boot of CD) but a free £1,000+ worth of laptop and extras for a few hours work seemed a reasonable return.

1. Sgt_Oddball

That's like my external sound card. Spotted cheap on world's biggest tat bazaar for a 20th of the new price with the note that it'd stopped working but owner liked it enough he'd already bought a replacement. Quick check online and apparently they can burn out a cap if headphones are too high an ohmage.

Duely purchased and shipped it arrived and I took it to bits to discover a perfectly pristine circuit board. Put it back together and thought I'll plug it in as I've nothing to lose. Worked straight away off default drivers.. Until I pressed the volume dial, cue a blue flashing power light and no sound. Turns out the volume dial when pushed in is a mute. 6 years later its still sat under my monitor doing sterling work. Best fiver I ever spent.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Turns out the volume dial when pushed in is a mute

Thats the stupidest fucking idea i've ever heard!

1. gotes

Push volume button to mute

It's fairly normal on vehicle audio systems, aka the "car radio".

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth

Re: Push volume button to mute

On older Vauxhall cars, the headlight control was a rotating dial on the dashboard. The interior light control was there at all; to turn the interior light on, you pulled the entire headlight control towards you.

You could always tell a Vauxhall that had been a hire vehicle, because it would always have a dirty mark around the roof light where people had tried feeling for the control switch, and hadn't found it...

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Can you specify which one in particular?

We've had a couple of Opels in the family (Vectra, Kaddett/Astra) and I don't recall such a feature xD

1. MJI Silver badge

I remember, may be Cavalier or Carlton, one of those

1. Jess--

Astra (late 90s new shape one)

Omega

both had the pull the headlight switch for internal light

1. MJI Silver badge

Omega as well

How we forget, I have had a few.

2. Kremen

The Mk I Vauxhall Cavalier (Opel Ascona?) had this interior light control feature.

The control was conventionally located in the Mk II.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Corsa. When I first got mine I ended up pulling into the side of the road and opening the door to turn the cabin light on so I could check maps. When I eventually went online to track down how to turn the light on my response was exactly: WTBF???

Also, the dashboard light adjuster is an anonymous dial under the light switch that is easily nudgable and does nothing when you experiment with it with stationary with the headlights off. Took me ages to work out why my dashboard was dark when I had the headlights on.

1. cutterman

And on Tigra 1.8 (Corsa in a pretty dress)

Took me a few minutes to work out...

Mac

2. tony trolle

American 70's cars have this as well

2. Andre Carneiro

She who must be obeyed, washer of socks and cooker of meals

And Buster Of Balls, I suspect, if she ever reads this... ;)

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Had one user who fessed up on clickee onna linkee inside a very suspicious email - but who deemed it fit to only let IT know a day or two after that incident.

I went full retard when said luser did not want to hand in his laptop for "processing" and went all the way to the top, and luser was forced to hand over his laptop. He was not too happy.

Boohoo. I don't care. If *you* don't take care, I won't be able to help you if your laptop get cryptolocked.

Unfortunately salesweasels are a nice, plump target for ne'er-do-wells as salesweasels will open any email from any sender, even if it looks highly dodgy, and click on allsorts of links just because of shiny and flashy stuff.

It's been a long while since and nothing bad had happened yet. Think my anal sphincter can take a rest now.

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth

Back when I worked for a rather dodgy ISP in Accrington, we had continual virus problems. Strangely though, these always followed a fairly well defined infection pattern which led me to believe that the user has a lot to do with computer virus infections.

Virus trouble always started in Sales or Marketing, and spread from one to the other. Then the same few senior managers would get infected machines, then some of the Web designers. Not all, and always the same ones.

Over in the NOC, the database engineers on completely susceptible Windows machines never got viruses. Neither did any of the engineers, but then we were using RedHat Linux.

2. Fungus Bob

Many years ago, when the Anna Kournikova virus was making the rounds, I was working in a very small company. One day the boss said "...Uhhh, I think I got a virus" . A quick check proved nothing bad happened. I told him this was why we were using Pegasus and that he was a pervert.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Unfortunately salesweasels are a nice, plump target for ne'er-do-wells as salesweasels will open any email from any sender, even if it looks highly dodgy"

Because they lack any ability to recognise dodgy emails they can't recognise that the emails they send also look dodgy. The same seems to apply to the fund-raisers currently employed by archive.org.

2. Chairman of the Bored
    WTF?

Darned tech!

A bunch of us were fighting a Windows problem; lots of BSOD. Naturally in the course of fixing it we did an awful lot of rebooting.

Our Windows tech walks up and says, "Hey, you guys don't understand what's going on. Just rebooting the machine won't fix anything."

Me: "OK, smartass, YOU fix it."

Tech: "Sure!" He reboots it and it works.

Me: "WTF??? We just did the same @#$&*! thing half a dozen times!"

Tech: "Yeah, but I understand what's going on"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Darned tech!

"Just rebooting the machine won't fix anything."

Happened to see an episode of one of the air accident investigation programs on TV once which covered the BA flight that flew through a volcanic plume causing all the engines to stall. In their reinactment they showed how the crew had spent the several minutes (while the plane was losing height and seemingly heading for an inevitable crash) repeatedly going through the engine shutdown and restart process (a lot more compicated that just tunring it off and on again!) until eventually one engine restarted and they were able to stabilise the flight.

1. Ozumo

That worked because as the aircraft lost height it entered denser air, increasing the chance of a successful relight.

1. Updraft102

That worked because as the aircraft lost height it entered denser air, increasing the chance of a successful relight.

Not exactly. The volcanish ash had re-melted in the hottest part of the jet engine (probably the combustion cans, but they didn't specify) while the engines were running, coating the surfaces therein with volcanic glass, blocking the flow of fuel, and causing a flameout. The engines would not restart, obviously, because there was no/insufficient fuel flow.

After a while of not running with cold air rushing through the engine as the plane continued to glide, the coated bits of the engine cooled enough to contract. The coated metal bits of the engine had a different contraction rate than the glassy coating, which shattered and unblocked what had been blocked, thus allowing a relight.

2. Chairman of the Bored

Was that BA Flight 9?

In an act of truly epic British understatement the pilot announced: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

Too much distress? I'd be drinking myself into a coma!

1. tony trolle

Ctp Eric Moody . class

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Stop

First seen as one of the "AI koans" from the Jargon File:

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/koans.html#id3141171

"Tom Knight and the Lisp Machine

A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.

Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”

Knight turned the machine off and on.

The machine worked."

3. Mooseman Silver badge

/Me: "WTF??? We just did the same @#$&*! thing half a dozen times!"

Tech: "Yeah, but I understand what's going on"/

I do this every day - the users know enough to try a reboot, then they call me. My first response is usually the same, and 9 times out of 10 it works. Cue grinding of teeth.

3. Ikoth

TUBE

Once took a call from a user who's PC was showing a "301 Error" on boot (it was a long time ago).

I told her that usually meant there was a problem with her keyboard. To which she exclaimed "My Keyboard!!! It's gone!!!" and promptly hung up.

Turns out one of her colleagues had "borrowed" the keyboard and she hadn't noticed in her early morning, pre-coffee daze.

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth

Re: TUBE

I remember the tricks of getting PCs to ork with dodgy peripherals. Some places had but one keyboard that was fully working, and this keyboard travelled around the room being plugged into machines to let them start without error, after which the usual keyboard got swapped back in again. Keyboards that threw errors on start-up check quite often worked perfectly otherwise, you see.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Pint

"I remember the tricks of getting PCs to ork with dodgy peripherals."

Interesting... care to expand on that? Too many of these maybe :)

2. Norman Nescio Silver badge

I remember the tricks of getting PCs to ork with dodgy peripherals.

I guess you got used to composing documents sans the use of the letter in the English alphabet that precedes 'x'.

Ernest Vincent Wright could have been a member of staff.

That and the use of Alt+<number entered by the numeric keypad>. I suspect you used Alt+0119 and Alt+0087 a lot. That and the Character Map utility.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 or 4 years ago I upgraded my home PC (either new GPU or new CPU+cooler), closed up the case and started using it. Was disappointed to find PC was now much noisier than before and put it down to the new cooling fans on the GPU or CPU. I lived with this irritating noise for many months (reasonming that it was a necessary downside to the improved performance) until I needed to do things inside the PC again and while testing it with the case open I went to press the reset button on the motherboard and as I did I brushed against the rats nest of wires that connect to all the front panel swirches/LEDs. As I did the noise stopped - I realized than during the initial install (or posisbly "tidying up the wires" afterwards) I'd managed to push one of these switch/LED cables onto the case intake fan so each of the 6 fan blades was hitting the cable 1800-2400 times per minute and generating the irritating noise!

1. BoldMan

My PC was making an irritating noise the other day, so I closed the browser tab that was playing the Chris Evans Breakfast show and the irritating noise miraculously stopped...

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

[Long set up about test driving car with a voice-controlled radio]

"I said, 'news', and it switched to Radio 4. Half a mile down the road a van cut me up and I shouted, "stupid f*cking bastard"m and the radio switched over to Chris Evans".

2. Lilolefrostback

Not technical, but appropriate ...

Have you noticed that (bag) pipers often walk around whilst playing? Do you know why? They're trying to get away from the horrible noise.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They're trying to get away from the horrible noise."

I thought it was to present a moving target

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Build your own PC

I've been building my kids gaming PCs for a couple of generations of machines.

A few years ago, I was building one to wrap an put under the tree at Christmas for my youngest son.

The build went fine, and the system was working perfectly, so I checked and tightened all the screws, and put the cover on, and then wrapped it.

Christmas morning. Wrapping paper comes off, and the system was connected up. The power button was pressed, and... nothing. No lights, or fans. Nothing. I spent the rest of Christmas day going through the build, including replacing the power supply and removing all of the adapters. Nothing. A disappointed son returned to using his really underpowered old machine that struggled to play his games.

Eventually decided that the motherboard must have failed between testing and unwrapping (unlikely, but the only thing I could think of). Online on Christmas evening to order another motherboard, with the most expensive delivery option to get it as soon as they could get it to me.

Day after boxing day, it arrives (yes, really). Out with the first board, in with the second. this would fix it! Only it didn't. No change.

I was baffled. I ended up doing a case-less build on the kitchen table, using a switch wiring set from a decommissioned case, the new power supply and the first board, Surprisingly, everything powered up without problem. Put it back in the case, nothing.

So, thought I maybe the switch set? Left the board in place, and used the set I'd used in the case-less build. Everything worked!

Finally I had a clue, so I checked the wires in the case. Remember when I said I had tightened the screws? Well, I had been careless, and the wires to the power button were caught between the case and a flash card reader that was where the floppy would normally be. During the build, everything was working fine. As soon as I tightened the screws, the sharp metal edges scissored the wires to the power switch, cutting them both. Result, no contact to turn the power on. A quick swish of the soldering iron, some heat shrink, and a happy son that could finally get his new gaming rig running.

So the moral of the story is, even if it was working before closing the case, check that it still works before re-packaging.

Still, I found a use for the extra motherboard building a franken-machine from spare parts I had knocking around (which included the case from my son's old machine), which with a wave of a Ubuntu CD (no unused windows licence available), became my first machine that I didn't have to share with my family!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOUD NOISES!!!

I once had a senior user at an important client complain that their laptop was making a similar noise.

I walked in, removed the large stapler from their keyboard, and walked out without saying a word.

1. GlenP Silver badge

Re: LOUD NOISES!!!

Yep, used to often diagnose those over the phone.

User: My computer* is beeping all the time.

Me: Remove the file that's resting on the keyboard.

User: How did you know that?

Me: Years of experience!

*Or terminal, I do go back that far!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I walked in, removed the large stapler from their keyboard, and walked out without saying a word."

Strange, sometimes random strings or repeated strings of characters on the screen caused by well endowed ladies leaning across the desk.

1. ROC

From the ladies directly, or the guys they were leaning towards losing track of what they were typing?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Andrew Moore

At this point you hand the user an Etch-A-Sketch and tell them that they will not be getting another laptop until they have completed retraining.

8. M E H
    Facepalm

I was that luser

Not that particular one but I remember early on in my IT career being issued with a hand me down laptop.

It didn't play any sound, which was annoying as I wanted to watch training videos.

I did what every self respecting would be techie would do and made sure the Windows volume mixer wasn't at zero, reinstalled drivers and tested it with headphones to see if the sound car was broken. As a last resort I called IT Support.

4 days later they came to my desk, muttered that they hoped it was the simple solution, and pressed the mute button on the side of the laptop. Bingo, the red light went out and the sound came on.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: I was that luser

I've had that happen on a friend's laptop before. WiFi isn't working, so they bring it to me. I can't get it to go through Windows - and there's no glowing red light to tell me it's switched off. There's no shortcut button on F8. Or obvious switch.

Then I put on my glasses and check the sides of the laptop, and lo! I find it. The 5mm long black slider, with no telltale LED and a tiny WiFi symbol etched in black on a black background.

Bastards! Have these fuckers never heard of UI design? The owner had never noticed the switch before, it wasn't in an obvious bit of the casing and they've got normal eyesight. The only reason I found it, is that I suspected it might be there.

I also hate those things because they seem to be switched off by default and only turn the WiFi on when the driver boots up in Windows. So when fixing another friend's laptop I couldn't get the Linux rescue CD to download up-to-date virus definitions - and had to do it manually.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

i too thought of wifi switches reading M E H 's story , and having to explain to a user over the phone where it is, after googling the model myself to see if it even has one

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I wanted to watch training videos."

As opposed to having been told to watch them?

9. wowfood

Firewall woes

Most common for me, fixing a family members computer.

Bought a new online game, and he couldn't get it to work, no matter what he did it refused to login, sometimes not even letting him get to the login screen, it would just freeze.

Went round, started the game and he was correct, only odd thing was a tiny flicker in the bottom corner. Alt-tab out, nothing.

Started the game again in windowed mode. as soon as it started up his Bullshit (sorry bullguard) firewall was kicking in and blocking the connection. And being the wonder that is bullguard, it appeared for a whole 3 seconds before closing itself so you couldn't whitelist it.

Had to restart the game again and use ninja reflexes to allow the connection.

10. steelpillow Silver badge

For old times' sake

Back in the day, PCs had no hard drive and an OS like MSDOS or CP/M had to be loaded from floppy disk on startup.

Neighbour had an Amstrad PCW. The main program for it was the Locoscript wordprocessor, which was integrated with a modified CP/M so that the whole shebang booted off a single disk: clunk, click, whirr, and you were away. You could also get other programs, such as spreadsheets, which ran on CP/M.

Talking one weekend, he says he's bought a spreadsheet but it won't run, so he'll have to send it back on Monday.

I offer to take a look, he shows me the PCW and the offending spreadsheet disk.

I ask, "have you got the CP/M floppy which came with the machine?"

"Somewhere probably, why?"

"You need to load the OS before programs can run on it."

" * "

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: For old times' sake

But in the manual it had the instructions to create a "Start of Day" disc, that had the OS and whatever software you wanted to use on it, so you could just chuck that in and work.

Although I never created on for Graham Gooch's Test Match Cricket, for some reason - and loaded CP/M first.

Simpler days... And better manuals.

1. swm

Re: For old times' sake

"And better manuals"

The computer manuals from the '60s were great. They actually told how things worked. The early IBM manuals and, of course, the LGP-30 manual were all you needed to start using the computer. Nowadays manuals tell you how to do something but refuse to give you a model of what's happening. So you have to reverse engineer everything to do something slightly different.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like