back to article Marriott's Starwood hotels mega-hack: Half a BILLION guests' deets exposed over 4 years

US hotel chain Marriott has admitted that a breach of its Starwood subsidiary's guest reservation network has exposed the entire database – all 500 million guest bookings over four years, making this one of the biggest hacks of an individual org ever. "On September 8, 2018, Marriott received an alert from an internal security …

1. Pen-y-gors

@monty75

Or possibly it was upgraded in Sept 18 to report additional types of activity as being suspicious. We shouldn't always assume the worst. Which of us has never upgraded software to make things better?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Greed of the thief.

A thief will always get caught eventually. It just depends on the escalation rate. Perhaps they wanted a little more than could get past the checks and balances?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
        Unhappy

"Which of us has never upgraded software to make things better?"

And which of us has never upgraded software and found it made things worse?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The monitoring system didn't even notice - they only investigated when they found marriot-hack.tgz on a torrent site

1. Electricity_Guy

Being fair to Marriott

Marriott can't be held wholly responsible, they only acquired Starwood in 2016, this hack seems to pre-date that. Still shit if you had your card deets swiped though.

1. Peter X

Re: Being fair to Marriott

they only acquired Starwood in 2016, this hack seems to pre-date that

I believe the hack has been on-going since 2014, so possibly someone should've noticed at some point since?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Details of half a billion customer is arguably worth more that the bricks and mortar.

Due Diligence...perhaps a pentest pre acquisition...then there is the two years since they bought it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

“Due Diligence...perhaps a pentest pre acquisition...then there is the two years since they bought it.“

I suspect this maybe a case of a large, decentralised infrastructure - it could be as simple as a long forgotten dial up connection that was used for support in the distant past.

Comprehensively testing for that type of flaw can be challenging and easily overlooked in the midst of cost cutting, staff changes and an acquisition.

2. Stoneshop
        Holmes

Details of half a billion customer

Half a billion customer records. Though with multiple records per customer that would still amount to at least several tens of million customers.

1. veti Silver badge

I thought that. I find it very hard to believe that anything remotely like half a billion separate people go anywhere near a Marriot hotel in any given five year period.

I mean, that's pretty close to the entire population of Europe and the USA combined. Including children. It doesn't pass the laugh test.

2. ISYS

Just wondering

Don't get me wrong these breaches are bad news but I was just wondering how many people have had real money stolen or an increase in spam because one of them?

I'm not saying these companies don't deserve everything they get in the way of fines etc I was just wondering what happens to the data.

1. batfink

Re: Just wondering

My card details got into the wild after the British Airways hack, and rogue transactions started to hit in < 24 hours. Fortunately my bank was on top of it (and yes I had notified them) and I think between us we caught all of the dodgy ones. So, yes it's very possible people lose "real money" from these breaches. I was lucky, and was paying attention.

As an aside: unfortunately this (and the subsequent card cancellation) hit exactly at the time I was trying to use the card to pay for a car hire in Italy, which added an extra layer of entertainment to the usual Italian car-hire circus.

1. ISYS

Glad it worked out well (in the end) for you. Hopefully it won't be too long before banking switches to using MFA with an one time pad App on peoples phones. Not difficult to do. I know this won't be convenient for everyone right now but as time goes on it seems to be the way to go.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

" Hopefully it won't be too long before banking switches to using MFA with an one time pad App on peoples phones."

For your information, my bank has been doing it for a couple of months now.

1. yoganmahew

"Hopefully it won't be too long before banking switches to using MFA with an one time pad App on peoples phones."

Ha! I'll see your one-time pad and raise you contactless.

Then I'll raise you signatures in the US...

Then I'll raise you adding the tip in after you've signed the bill...

2. File Not Found

Out in the wild

MFA which relies on a steady cellphone signal - not available out here in rural Suffolk UK, and already causing some gritting of the teeth, as these little details seem to escape MFA activists. Just sayin.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There are two components needed to decrypt the payment card numbers, and at this point, Marriott has not been able to rule out the possibility that both were taken."

That is more likely to be a split key, as per PCI-DSS req 3.6.6.

4. TheInnerPartSystem

Homewrecker

With 500 million records I can see the following scene playing out in multiple homes...

Letter arrives - "Dear Sir, regarding your stay at our Las Vegas hotel in March 21 2018...."

Wife - "Hey honey, wasn't that the same weekend as your work conference in Minnesota?...."

1. Tom 38

Re: Homewrecker

Is it weird I'd rather go to Minnesota?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Homewrecker

Northern Minnesota is actually quite nice & I drove from from MSP up to & into Canada some years back, I don't think I enjoyed the drive up from Chicago back to MSP on the same trip around the Great Lakes (But the weather had turned it was wet\sleet) & the views weren't as great in the south, to the best of my recall.

5. Efer Brick

I have my reservations...

Or, rather they do!

6. Kev99 Silver badge

Okay people. We're going to store our most sensitive information in those paper bags. You know, the ones we got when we bought our groceries. Yup, so what is a net is just a bunch of holes held together by string or a cloud is just a bunch of holes held together by vapor. It's free!!

7. DerekCurrie
    Alert

Target, 78 Million

...Despite repeated warnings and indicators from both outside and inside the company.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remind me

Why they need *all* the details once payment has been processed.

1. Mr. Flibble

Re: Remind me

Because you could have legged with with all the bathrobes/been smoking in a non-smoking room/trashed the place.

None of this will be found until hours after checkout when housekeeping goes round to clean rooms etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Remind me

I think the point was "why do they still need my card details from my stay in 2014".

SPG hotels tend to have housekeeping in every day rather than ever 4 years.

9. Graham Butler

Address AND reservation date? Wonder if there's any correlation with burglaries....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Address and reservation date

There's hardly ever any crossover between virtual and physical crime. They'd have to get this information in real time and have a nationwide network of burglars on call to monetize that. Even the mob wouldn't be able to do that these days.

Most likely the hackers are halfway around the world, and could care less about knowing when I'm out of my house for a few days.

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"exposed the entire database"

You've got to hand it to Marriot - they don't do things halfway.

11. JLV

Might not be as big as Yahoo! but that info seems a lot more identity-theftable. CC# are easy: just get a new one, the rest is not.

Are passport and DOBs # globally mandated for storage? I know France had police-requested guest registration info for a while, maybe still does. But most of the time now CC# and license plate is all that’s needed. DOB? Why?

Security 101: if you don’t store it, it can’t be hacked.

1. Peter X

Security 101: if you don’t store it, it can’t be hacked.

I would've hoped at least when GDPR came in, one of the things businesses would've spotted was that data is a liability* to them and they should delete what they can as soon as they can. If someone hasn't purchased from you in that last 6 months (and you're not an automatic repeat biller), then probably best to delete the card number... it's not like you're saving the customer loads of time re-entering it when they hardly order from you anyway.

* previously it made sense to hoard as much data as possible. With GDPR the mining potential is limited because you're not allow to exploit it easily, and obviously, with GDPR, data loss can = financial loss.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I would've hoped at least when GDPR came in, one of the things businesses would've spotted was that data is a liability"

You're quite right but it's not easy to break the habits of a lifetime. It doesn't help that for a lot of management bods the desire to hoard and exploit data is part of their personality; it's what got them into those roles. It's probably going to take a few fines on a scale prompted by intent to make an example of the a few miscreants before the message gets through. And then a few more top tier fines on a few businesses who try to cover up to get that message through as well.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I know France had police-requested guest registration

Always had, still have, although there ARE ways to slip through if you really want to. Most countries have similar requirements, especially for foreigners. I can't remember registering in in a hotel in the Americas, Europe, Asia or Africa without providing a piece of ID (or a couple of locally-tradable pieces of paper-money, which I tend not to do, out of principle)

3. Mr. Flibble

police-requested guest registration

Italy does this too, but they only get transferred from the hotel systems "on request".

1. Nick Kew

Re: police-requested guest registration

Most countries seem to be a bit random IME. I've had hotels in Blighty, as well as various other countries in Europe and elsewhere, ask for my passport or comparable ID. And others that take a more relaxed attitude.

They do all seem to want a creditcard on booking and checkin. And recently they don't bother with it on checkout, which implies the capability to debit it some days later than reading it. I should hope that works with a single-use token rather than storing the whole thing!

2. JLV

Re: police-requested guest registration

well then, if i was designing hotel POS systems, i’d

1. limit ID intake to strictly what’s _locally_ legally required.

2. upload to the relevant police db and delete

3. if 2 doesn’t exist, delete as soon as you reach end of locally legislated retention period.

fwiw, when I visit the US, it’s always just the CC# and car plate #. ditto within Canada. so that’s at least 2 countries not needing retention.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"they only get transferred from the hotel systems "on request"

In Italy was also common that an hotel could actually register you *only* if you paid with a traceable mean - lot of cash still in use - and often the card reader was "not working", especially for foreign tourists - to evade taxes they could not register a lot of guests... (more common in small hotels, big groups probably less so). Now with counter-terrorism rules, it could have become riskier.

12. Mark 85

I'm giving some thought to burning the CC's and going cash only. No checks either. These are scary times indeed. But that may be just a knee jerk reaction to all the breeches lately. Seems we can't trust anyone any more.

1. alexdonald

Knee jerk... Breeches... Haha

(That was deliberate, right?)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"burning the CC's and going cash only. No checks either."

The way things are going it'll be impossible to get hold of cash, at least in the UK. You can't get cash from your now-closed bank branch and you'll need a card to get cash out of an ATM. And that assumes the ATM network survives.

It's high time retention of banking licences was tied to meeting standards of accessibility and customer service with the required standards being notched up each year.

13. neilas

Half a billion customers? They wish? The world population is only 7.5 billion, so Marriot have one fourteenth of the world as registered clients do they?

14. Pen-y-gors

500 million?

Nah! 500 million transactions, maybe, but not 500 million customers. Even if it's worldwide, I suspoect a lot are in the USA, and a fair proportion of the population there can't afford to stay in decent house, never mind a Marriot hotel. And I'm sure a lot of their customers tend to be regular repeat offenders, so probably only 50-100 million, i.e. less than Equifax. Pah! Piffling small change!

Re: 500 million?

Since 2014 some of the cards will have expired so they'll be counting the originals and the replacements. Then there are customers with multiple cards. And some of the customers will have changed address or given a home address sometimes and a business address at others. Even if it's card plus address combinations rather than transactions there'll be a good deal of multiple counting of individuals going on.

15. Wolfclaw

This will be expensive !

16. MrMerrymaker

Data Shmata

Not that I don't already do it to a large extent online, but I'm starting to wonder why I don't just get black market new identities, just so when they get inevitably compromised, it's less upsetting.

Still. Happily not a Marriott customer, ever. When I contracted for IBM they did pay for a hotel once - oh, wait, Travelodge were already hit this past summer!

1. the Jim bloke
      Trollface

Re: Data Shmata

"Not that I don't already do it to a large extent online, but I'm starting to wonder why I don't just get black market new identities"

Half a billion fresh ones now available.

17. adam payne

"Marriott learned during the investigation that there had been unauthorized access to the Starwood network since 2014."

Unauthorised access for four years. The entire booking database with 500 million guest details in it but no one noticed anything.

Equifax were bitch slapped with a fine but these guys are going to be ass kicked.

18. Michael Jarve
    FAIL

*YAWN*

Que the standard "We'll pay for credit monitoring (by handing all your info to Equifax) for a year, and we take customer yada-yada seriously, also we have measures in place like not having the admin password '1234' to probably make sure this doesn't happen again; also since you used our website, you agreed to the T&C's, and individual arbitration, no class-action lawsuits, and so on. We strive for excellence and value our relationship with shareholders customers guests."

This is getting old...

"since you used our website, you agreed to the T&C's"

It probably depends on jurisdiction but statute law as to consumer rights overrides contract law.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marriott's Starwood hotels mega-hack:

Any idea as to the technical nature of the hack?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon