back to article Microsoft readies the swatter as more bugs wriggle out of the Windows 10 woodwork

The "days without a Windows 10 incident" clock has been reset to zero once again as a tired Microsoft engineer updated the "known issues" page to reflect that, well, there are some. The support page for the latest update lists two. One is unlikely to trouble many, while the other has the potential to be considerably more …

Page:

1. Teiwaz

Re: I can hardly believe another MS issue

"MS deprecated WMP some time ago, from their perspective they can hardly be blamed for not including it in any tests."

If they are shipping it, they should test it. If they don't want to test it, they shouldn't ship it.

If they are not testing it, and not maintaining it, why would you want to use it?

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

I up voted, but yet... I have a suspicion that there are a lot of general users out there who just stick with default settings. So WMP/Notepad/Paint/Edge/etc. will, and in their terms should, just open up for them when they click on something.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

"As a long time 'Linux user, I've refrained from commenting on the many recent Windows update bug articles."

Hasn't stopped ME from snarking all over it. In fact, having an outstanding alternative OS available, I can be a bit SMUG about it, too. Heh.

When Micro-shaft started that ".Not" initiative back in the early noughties, I knew they were heading the wrong direction. C-pound and Passport confirmed it. Since then I only use windows when I have to [like testing an application I'm working on for cross-platform compatibility - write it on FreeBSD or Linux, make it cross-platform so Windows can run it, too]. That and if a customer wants me to do something on winders...

1. Teiwaz

"As a long time 'Linux user, I've refrained from commenting on the many recent Windows update bug articles."

Hasn't stopped ME from snarking all over it. In fact, having an outstanding alternative OS available, I can be a bit SMUG about it, too. Heh.

I don't use Windows if I can avoid it, long ago given up trying to convince those who still use it and moan about it that other options exist...

Basically I try to respect peoples lifestyle choices, even if they seem illogical or distasteful to me. I'd count the well over the border S&M Windows habit among those.

There's been far too many Microsoft carcrash OS articles lately though....I really can't summon up the energy to join in on the 'S' side while long time windows users once more kneel for flagellation at the hands of their corporate overlord.

1. el kabong
    Thumb Down

Why is this even news?

This is not news, this is business as usual. Microsoft fuck-ups are half a dime a dozen!

These fuck-ups are so boring, they've become too predictable so why waste time on them? They are not especially valuable or interesting as news items.

Let's just move on, ok?

1. ADJB

Re: Why is this even news?

Maybe not valuable or interesting as news items but comedy gold.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Why is this even news?

You do realize you don't have to read these articles if they bother you, right ?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Also breaks Windows iCloud client

MS have disabled the roll-out of 1809 to those machines with iCloud installed. Better get it installed quickly...

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Also breaks Windows iCloud client

And by "it" you of course mean iCloud, and not 1809.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Up

a simple technique to stop the forced updates? I love it!

2. DerekCurrie
      Go

Apple released a patched Windows iCloud client today, restoring functionality. √

3. tempemeaty

It's starting to sound like Microsoft is no longer able to maintain complex software like operating systems anymore. (Windows in this case)

4. DerekCurrie
    Angel

And still, no fix for deactivation of validated Insider Program Win 10 installations

This is the stuff of insane asylums. This is Microsoft. (0_o)

5. petercain0110

Update

Mine is back now trying to update to 1 *7* 09 again. Seems microsoft has given up trying on 18xx

To say it has tried and failed 100 times is probably no exaggeration. The ONLY good thing is reversion takes a few minutes. Enough time for a now ritual restoration coffee.

Always fails at same point. Microsoft clearly have limited experience of writing software.

I abandoned trying all the solutions propoded after miserable weeks of getting no place.

Why can't all my useful prograns run under linux?

6. Thebadsectors

Three months ago I couldn't set sublime text as the default for PHP and js files. This is neither news or a mild annoyance.

7. Steve Jackson

17763.167 is out in RP (or standalone) and my WMP slider is fine. Also can set Notepad as default app.

YMMV

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Alan Bourke

Try associating Notepad++ with .txt or .csv in the problem build.

Computer says no.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like