back to article Microsoft lobs Windows 10, Server Oct 2018 update at world (minus file-nuking 'feature') after actually doing some testing

Is the Windows October 2018 update here again? Did it ever exist previously? Are we all in a feverish dream where the latest version, build 1809, is stable and fit for purpose, and Patch Tuesday was totally uneventful? Our finger hovers over the "no" button, but we live in hope of someone one day fitted a "yes" key. Huawei …

Page:

1. Is It Me

Re: 1809?

It is like Ubuntu release names, first two digits are the year and the second two are the month. Although as they withdrew it and then re-issued it should probably be 1811.

Calling it 1811 would show that it wasn't released when they said it would be and that would involve admitting a fault so it is still 1809

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1809?

1809 isn't the build number it's the release name.

I'm on 1803 but on build number 17134.191.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

No no you have it all wrong

Not broken. NOT withdrawn. Just paused.

It was pining for the fjords.

2. Andy E

Build number?

How does this build number malarky work then? My PC which is running Windows 10 Pro 64bit says it is running 10.0.17134 build 17134. 17134 is a bigger number than 1809 or am I understanding this wrong? Perhaps its 17-134 v 18-09?

Confused.

1. Test Man

Re: Build number?

1809 is just the public-facing version number (obviously based on the last two digits of the year and the month it was released in). It's just a name plucked from the ether for something specific.

Build numbers have a different significance compared to version numbers, generally.

1. jelabarre59

It's just a name plucked from the ether for something specific.

I was thinking more likely they plucked it from someplace other than "the ether". Someplace a little closer related to biological processes.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

There are three version numbers. The 10.[randomdecimal] one that doesn't matter, the build number, and the version number. The version number is 1809, even though that's the wrong number (see my post above for why it's wrong if you care which you probably shouldn't). You have the build number, which at least goes in order. So when that number goes up, the build is newer. Build 17134 seems to be the final version of windows 10 version 1803. So in short, it's crazy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In addition to extensive internal validation

snigger

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: In addition to extensive internal validation

Welcome to the 21st century - I suspect that the Windows sources have become so complex with patches and features added and fixed and re-patched since it's release, that any changes are simple rolling the dice as to what they will break. Does anyone actually understand the whole picture any longer or is it simple one team working against a dozen other feature update teams?

You can evaluate and validate your teams patches and features but when another team rolls out its updates, who checks to see if there are any interactions? That's the user job these days isn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: In addition to extensive internal validation

@Version 1.0 - I think you may have missed the reasoning behind the snigger comment and the title...

Although, it may just be my mind that missed the reasoning...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hobson's choice

you get a FREE OS, aka W10, and they turn you into a guinea pig and spy on you and sell your data OR

you get a FREE OS, aka Android, and they spy on you and sell your data OR

you get a PAID "obsolete" OS, aka W7, and they spy on you (a little), sell your data (a little) and you tremble in fear, because FUD, OR

none of the above, aka Apple x-thingy and them linuxes, but hell, neither's for mainstream joe (for different reasons).

1. Spanners Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: hobson's choice

Are you seriously trying to say that Apple neither sells your data or even spies on you?

Paying the gullibility tax does not have that effect.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: hobson's choice

Apple does spy, somewhat, but nothing like what other companies do. They don't collect as much information, are better at allowing data to stay on the device rather than getting sent to them, and don't make a large part of their business from data exploitation. So yes, I'm saying that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe we're to blame

How many of us on his forum have a "test device" enrolled in the developer previews? I know I do and apart from periodically updating it and having a prod about I literally do nothing on this device. So as far as Microsoft are concerned the data they slup from it is all good?

1. jelabarre59

Re: Maybe we're to blame

How many of us on his forum have a "test device" enrolled in the developer previews? I know I do and apart from periodically updating it and having a prod about I literally do nothing on this device. So as far as Microsoft are concerned the data they slup from it is all good?

I have one like that. Other than using it to buy music off of whyTunes (because Apple can't be arsed to make an Android client or make a way to buy directly off the website), or my daughter borrowing it while I'm fixing her laptop, it doesn't do a lot other than letting me see what crap is coming down the line.

I *HAVE* considered the possibility that MS should make an automatic test/validation suite we could run on our TechPreview machines when we're not doing our own "testing" on them. Sure, it's giving them another excuse to continue not doing their own testing, but that's what their going to do anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe we're to blame

Looking at the evidence over the last few updates, apparently many/most do their testing in virtual machines rather than real hardware. Thus, where the HAL hits the hardware, this hasn't been tested against the (literal) myriad of systems out there. A monoculture if ever I've seen one.

Were I even using Windows 10, I can see that I might do the same. Instead, my laptop uses Windows Server 2016. First off, it's only used to connect and do things on the Internet, my canary in the coal mine, not just about Windows but what is "Out There" to get my devices. [All other devices are energy-gapped save the tablets. No big deal restoring.] The other reason is that the laptop can't seem to keep a working Windows 10 alive; has no problem doing the same with Server 2016. Same device driver model, supposedly, for both. Go figure why.

6. garou1674
    WTF?

And it has also hit WSUS at the same time

Most times, these major releases are staved off a couple months for WSUS admins. This time, the re-release of 1809 is also being pushed to WSUS. Guess I will not be allowing that update for a couple more months.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like