back to article Now you can tell someone to literally go f--k themselves over the internet: Remote-control mock-cock patent dies

It is a great day for those who dream of Internet-of-Flings sex toys. A key patent describing web-connected remote-controllable techno-dildos has expired. Friday marks the 20-year anniversary, and, ahem, climax of, US Patent 6,368,268, a controversial piece of intellectual property that has long been blamed for holding back …

Page:

1. Grikath
      Devil

Buzzystuff with RF control ..... check.

Buzzystuff using Bluetooth ..... check.

Buzzystuff using 3G/4G ..... check.

What do you mean.. "the first" ?

1. Snar

It’s happened aparrently! We had a presentation by a UK based pen tester who had looked at a teledildonic device with a camera that was sending images to a Chinese address....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

James Lyne by any chance? Sounds like something that would be right up his, err, just the sort of thing he'd investigate.

2. arctic_haze
    Facepalm

Patents are suposed to be for not-obvious things

Which part of not-obvious the patent office cannot understand?

Also there is prior art, for example the remotely controlled orgasmatron Barbarella was forced to use in the 1968 movie.

3. Maya Posch
    Mushroom

How does this patent make any bleedin' sense?

Essentially this pitiful excuse of a patent is for 'a device that can be connected to via a network, receive data and activate actuators depending on said data'. The reason for this should be irrelevant.

The amount of prior art for such implementations (in less NSFW settings) date back roughly since computer networks exist, conceivably before the invention of the transistor.

Stuff like this is a reminder of why it might actually make sense to ignore the US market for one's products, so as to avoid such ludicrous patents.

1. Giovani Tapini

Re: How does this patent make any bleedin' sense?

Based on your logic, I think a simple printer would fit the bill as prior art.

It even covers the gentle transfer of viscous fluids from one surface to another...

4. Efer Brick

Come again....

err

5. The Real Tony Smith

Internet Of Sex

Also known as the abbreviation... Oh, hang on...

6. ~chrisw

Just think of the latency

And I wondered why FUFMe drives never took off. (I think the fu-fme site still just about exists on one of the online archives!) I wonder if they licensed this patent and got screwed by them...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

preferred embodiment?

Some patent jargon takes on a whole new meaning in this context.

8. liamprincetech

Surely this article should have been listed under "personal tech"

9. Potemkine! Silver badge

Patents suck!

and this without connection.

10. JacobZ

I read that as "patient"...

...not "patent", so I had entirely the wrong mental image

11. Pat Harkin
    Coat

CodeProject are ready for this.

Today's project: C# Knob Control using Windows Forms

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/1187460/Csharp-Knob-Control-using-Windows-Forms

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like