back to article ZX Spectrum Vega+ blows a FUSE: It runs open-source emulator

The ZX Spectrum Vega+ is running open-source Spectrum emulator software FUSE, The Register has confirmed while carrying out a hands-on review of the handheld console. As regular readers know, the Vega+ is the flagship product of Retro Computers Ltd, the company which took £513,000 in crowdfunded cash from members of the public …

Page:

1. Stabbybob

Re: @Steve K

For loading without tape, you might be able to find the audio files and play them via phone or PC into the Oric

1. Pete4000uk

What an era that was. Never to be repeated :(

1. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ

"What an era that was. Never to be repeated :( "

it sort of has if you look sideways and squint at the raspberry pi..... cheap, takes a little effort to do something useful and has spawned a whole ministry around similar single board computers... people are starting to code again...

1. WallMeerkat

Pi is halfway there. The problem is nobody is selling games for them in the shops.

Imagine an era where you can buy a Pi game from your local retailer, comes in a little SD card, plug it in and play, just like you used to do with Spectrum/Oric/C64/etc.

1. Teiwaz

comes in a little SD card

When I saw my first CF Card, I was expecting that to roll along at some point.

We should be at the point where you can wander into a shop and buy a book/Music album/Movie on the same memory storage type.

But because the media publishers of all the above would rather sit in their trees collecting nuts until progress starts to pass them by then they panic.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: comes in a little SD card

"We should be at the point where you can wander into a shop and buy a book/Music album/Movie on the same memory storage type."

This.

So very much this.

I hunt the bargain bins for cheap DVDs. Once in a while a full price one if it's something a really like. Then I rip them to watch on the device of my choice (my phone). Why are we not at the stage of getting films on little SD cards? Pop it into a card reader, that in the OTG adaptor and we're good to go, right?...

2. Charles 9

"Pi is halfway there. The problem is nobody is selling games for them in the shops."

Pi software won't be sold on high street until Pis are sold on high street. The bundling effect on which high street relies tends to require they have all the piece on hand.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Ace, Oric, tandy, sharp, timex.

3. Steve K

Sorry - I meant TI99/4a i think not TI-32!

1. David Nash Silver badge

There was nothing to compare against

Yes there was, there was Sinclair's earlier effort for one, the Mk14, which was similarly priced and much more primitive, and there were home and business machines from the US, some of which may have been better but were much more expensive and less suited for home geekery.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If the ZX computers kickstarted the British home computer market and taught a generation in the early 80s, they couldn't have been that crap."

Oh they were. It was getting them to kind-of work that taught the 80s generation so much about computers. Kids today don't even know what an edge connector is, let alone how to keep them working.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'd say PCs made much less sense to get working, until Windows XP and then they became too complicated to understand.

1. WallMeerkat

I'd say the converse. Tweaking IRQs in DOS, vbrun200.dll errors in Windows 3.1.

XP came along and turned PCs into fisher price toys.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

XP abstracted stuff, but made it difficult to learn and understand PCs.

Before you had to learn about PCs, even though they were pointlessly more complicated than e.g. Amigas or STs.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Tweaking IRQs in DOS

Oh my god... Modem or mouse, but not at the same time. Second printer port, no trouble. Just a dozen tiny fiddly headers on an unmarked circuit board and you're there, except the documentation doesn't match the board so you can print, only the chip is set to translate everything to four bit EBCDIC sent on the parallel cable using a weird unheard of protocol that is the electronic equivalent of semaphore. Adding a network card was pretty easy in comparison, but the moment you add a CD-ROM the network dies never to be seen again. Since this is 10-base-2, I mean the entire network dies thanks to the conflict causing the card to spew endless gibberish.

There was a day, once upon a time, when I got myself a crappy Pentium box with PCI expansion. It wasn't great, it probably couldn't divide by anything except zero, but expansion cards pretty much just worked as long as you had the drivers disc. I took some measure of satisfaction erasing that horrible horrible 486 box and those eternally damned ISA cards from reality with a very very large mallet. Apparently a mallet used for laying railways. I could barely lift it. But when I did, and dropped it right into the box with a lovely crunch....oh man, the grin on my face...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Voyna i Mor: Kids today don't even know ......

...much, about anything. Hell, they think that "Love Island" is entertainment. But a worrying question is whether easy access to easy to use IT is a cause of this shallowness, and therefore it is OUR fault.

Here, have a Werthers whilst we contemplate that.

3. Martin-73 Silver badge

I can confirm that the original Sinclair computers were both shite, and awesome. Equally.

The concept was awesome. The manuals were amazing. The quality control was.... unknown. Literally, they didn't understand the concept.

My first Sinclair computer (a ZX spectrum+... the plus was 'plus something better than rubber keys but ONLY marginally) didn't work out of the box. Dixons diagnosed a dud power supply, and swapped it for one that only worked occasionally. Eventually my ham fisted attempts to put enough force on the connector to get the thing to start, caused the pin in the 9v connector to fall off. The second one (replacement after a screaming fit by my usually non demonstrative mother, who'd paid for it) worked flawlessly. And still works. Albeit with a few mods and a non-original PSU

"first Sinclair computer (a ZX spectrum+"

You were spoiled. You missed the real revolution - the ZX81, or for us real pioneers, the ZX80, flashing screen and all.

4. TerryG

Learning how to use blu-tack to hold the RAM pack in place for a ZX81 was the first small step on a journey that led me to now be working on multi-petabyte SAN systems

1. defiler

Learning how to use blu-tack

From tiny acorns, and all that...

That said, when I had Acorns I never had an ounce of trouble with them.

2. Jess

Notice I said Sinclair rather than ZX experience, I was more thinking of the QL.

1. Mike Pellatt

Notice I said Sinclair rather than ZX experience, I was more thinking of the QL.

To say nothing of the black watch and the IC12. And the calculator. Those are what I remember Sinclair for.

Travesties, all of them. As I've said before, Chief Dick Sinclair created the IC12 (rated 12W peak, hence the name) by taking a Plessey 10W peak rated IC amp and, errr, sticking a heatsink on it. That was his level of understanding of semiconductor thermal management. And how I learnt all about it the hard way, repeatedly blowing them up....

3. DrBed

If the ZX computers kickstarted the British home computer market and taught a generation in the early 80s, they couldn't have been that crap.

Actually, Samurai / Elan / Flan / Enterprise was been that crap. Great project on paper, but when it went to production... utter mess.

Guess who stands behind it? Same David "Vega+" Levy!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/24/elan_flan_enterprise_micro_is_30_years_old/

If you missed it, here is the background (80's): "Micro Men" (Acorn vs Sinclair):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1459467/

1. Rob Crawford

I owned a 128k Enterprise

Apart from the shit case, even shittier keyboard and the damn thing being slower than you could imagine it was great.

Oh except for the edge connectors for the monitor connection that meant most people blew up their Enterprises.

Oh and the overheating problem, I never knew a heatsink that go so hot until pentium processors turned up.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'll wager

a significant user base on here cut their teeth on a Sinclair / Timex computer.

I did.

5. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Oh, they were. I actually think it made the British better coders. How hard they had to work just to get the computers to do what they wanted.

I think everyone who learns coding should learn it on an 8 bit micro. The lack of hardware power certainly forces you to code efficiently.

That's not say I hated my spectrum. On the contrary, I loved it.

1. Charles 9

I'll pull you one better. In my Discrete Math course, we had to create programs on simulated Turing Machines. How's that for getting down to the nitty-gritty?

1. Ashley_Pomeroy

In Sinclair's defence, the original 16/48kb Spectrum was released in more-or-less finished form. I can't remember if it was on time, or not, and the key matrices tended to fail, but otherwise the original Spectrum was surprisingly polished for a Sinclair product. Presumably because there wasn't much to go wrong and the hardware was simple.

It was the later QL and Spectrum+ that had problems, the former because development was rushed - which meant that the machine was released unfinished, and much later than promised - and the latter because the keys used to fall off!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Why Sir Clive Sinclair’s corporate shareholder in RCL, Sinclair Research Ltd, has not intervened is a source of ongoing confusion

If SRL voted with Andrews and Smith to kick Levy & Co. out and take their place, that would mean they have to spend money winding RCL up and become responsible for the debt while trading insolvent and possibly whatever else Levy's done in everyone's absence.

I guess Clive couldn't be arsed with that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Entertaining review but 4/10 seems a tad generous.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
      Meh

I tried writing a justification for why I thought 4/10 was too high, but the more I thought about it, the more I agreed - the software works on a basic level (because it was ripped off, most likely) so the primary issue is the crap case. Knock a point off for having to remap keys to get some games to work and you have 4/10.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

I seem to recall that a key remapping function was quite common for games of the day.

2. katrinab Silver badge

This

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/03/review_netbook_toshiba_ac100/?page=1

got 1/10

As far as the hardware is concerned, the Vega is a lot worse. Software, probably about the same, and software was why the toshiba got such a low score.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Regardless of the score, it must be one of the most scathing reviews that I have read on El Reg. Even thought the device is crap, the review made me laugh, so at least it will end my otherwise boring day on a good note...

I agree that 4/10 appears to be a little over generous...

Crappy feedback on the buttons : he he.

Overall look : Ha ha ha ha ha.

Painted buttons : Hey guys come over and see this article, its a killer...

Thinking about those who invested in this : Rolls on floor, splutters, coughs, tears roll down cheeks and belly starts to ache...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

1/10 for a tosh

that's too generous

3. Red Bren
    Boffin

FUSE in a plasticky box

If you want a retro experience in your hand, just install an emulator on your smartphone!

1. UKRobM

Re: FUSE in a plasticky box

Done that, but I find playing arcade-style games on a flat glass touch screen surprisingly difficult. I need tactile buttons, at least. Not buttons like on this POS though. Glad I got a refund though I had to fight for it.

4. andy gibson

Sir Clive's health

"Why Sir Clive Sinclair’s corporate shareholder in RCL, Sinclair Research Ltd, has not intervened is a source of ongoing confusion"

According to RCL:

"It is no secret that Sir Clive Sinclair has been in poor health for some considerable time. Over this extended period, the current board of Retro Computers Limited have sought to support him at every opportunity in both his professional and private life. Having shared a personal friendship with some of the current board spanning several decades. It is with much sadness that we announce that it has reached a point where Sir Clive no longer looks after his own day to day affairs, and as his advisors have pointed out he has not been "doing much directing lately"."

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Sir Clive's health

Yes, RCL throwing the old man under a bus because he's outlived his usefulness. So nice of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>> throwing the old man under a bus

That reminds me of when I saw a guy in a Sinclair C5 in Exeter, pedalling furiously to avoid being run over by a bus.

I don't recall the C5 being pedal-powered...was it?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Yes. The C5 electric motor could only go relatively slowly. If you wanted more speed, or if you hit a particularly steep hill, it also had pedals. I don't think it was actually powered by a washing machine motor, but I think it was a similar size/output.

They were actually terrifying. You'd have thought that something that low to the ground would be stable, but even cornering at a brisk walking pace had it leaning over. And because there was no wheel, but steering levers behind your seat - you were in a very unatural position and felt horribly unbalanced. Being so low and so off balance on a road with real cars must have been horrifying. I've only driven one round a carpark. You'd have to offer me serious money to dare take one on a road.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That was so transparently a partisan smear attempt against a former ally wrapped up in false concern that it's laughable. You wonder whether we were supposed to believe it or whether it was intentional mockery.

You also wonder whether RCL are under the (mistaken) impression that they got away with that with their professionalism intact, or whether they just don't care any more.

3. Paul D Smyth

I'm sure they'd like to put this on the former directors too if they could get away with it

5. Rhubarb

What

A pile of crap, as others have said just run an emulator on something (after all that is all this thing is doing), Retropie will do a better job and give you more options anyway.

6. BRYN

FUSE?

I thought it was common knowledge that it was using FUSE.

I wanted this to be a success and I was more than happy to have parted with good money to buy this once the device was released. I was so excited I nearly backed but a little voice at the back of my head said to hold off. I'm so glad I did.

I feel for the backers, who if they have received this have gotten a turd, and the ones that decided to hold off on the "blankety-blank" they look like they're not going to even get a turd.

I suspect this maybe the last nail in anything Sinclair and hardware related ever happening again.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: FUSE?

It was originally planned to custom firmware, this video, from eleven minutes onwards.

2. ItsMeDammit

Indeed - I thought its use on the Vega+ was common knowledge as well. It came up in the comments section of the Indiegogo page some time past and I mentioned it here myself only a couple of days ago in another Vega+ thread.

To be fair, if they are reporting on it then El Reg probably has to confirm it for themselves. Other bugs not mentioned include the games on microSD card keymapping issue and the TV out not working. I am not sure what The Register's thoughts are on me cross-linking to the bug list that is widely available so I will just say that it's out there and makes for a worrying read if you find it. Many of the bugs have been known about for so long that sending out units like this should be an embarrassment for RCL.

1. phuzz Silver badge

sending out units like this should be an embarrassment for RCL

I'd have thought taking half a million quid from people and wasting it should be an embarrassment, but apparently they're beyond shame.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon