back to article 'No, we are not rewriting Office in JavaScript' and other Microsoft tales

E3 aside, the team at Redmond were busy last week with a smattering of the good, the bad and the frankly odd. Windows ups and downs Dishwasher comparison pros Which? weighed in on user grief over Windows 10 while Microsoft killed off a bunch of support forums for old versions of the OS. Microsoft also insisted that everything …

Page:

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Haha, I bet it kills Microsoft to know that if they held out a little bit longer, this little C++ compiler called Emscripten would have come along and saved them many hundreds of thousands of developer man hours to port office to the web whilst also remaining scalable and not a massive Javascript clusterfsck(8).

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Nitpick: Just because your compiler targets a script language rather than (say) x86, doesn't mean your software can now run on the web. You have to port all the APIs that your software picks up from its environment. Of course, if you've re-compiled the whole of Windows into (say) Javascript then, yes, you could have a go at running that in a web page.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Orifice and AI "help"

Just NO.

Shitarsheholefucking NO

3. a_yank_lurker

???

My reaction to the original post was that would be the end of Orifice as they are JackassScript. But apparently the PHB misspoke and they are not rewriting it in JackassScript. This might give a clue as to how screwed up Slurp when their PHBs can not get the story straight from the start.

4. fidodogbreath

Not RE-writing in JavaScript

That could also be interpreted as meaning that Office was already written in JavaScript.

5. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Failure UP

In years to come scientists will discover the cause behind of the Great Meteor that impacted Redmond in 2018 linking Microsoft's defiance of several natural laws as the 'attractor' that guided the gigantic missile to it's target.

6. Mike Timbers

Many years ago (some time in the 90s) WordPerfect produced an alpha version of their suite written in Java. It was componentised so that you got Java functions as you used them downloaded from a server which was Internet connected and auto-updated by WordPerfect as they bug-fixed the alpha software. It was designed for use over a network (remember "The Network Is The Computer"?), to avoid having to download a monolithic .exe file as per Office95 apps at the time.

It actually worked - not brilliantly but then it was only an alpha and would certainly have improved as it moved into beta and release.

Then M$ announced it was going to do the same thing.

So WordPerfect killed the project.

A year later, M$ quietly announced they weren't going to do it after all.

I fscking hate M$. And particularly Office.

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Annoying, but by that time Wordperfect had lost the plot anyway. By the time a vaguely working WP6.0 came along, Microsoft had eaten their lunch. WP5.x for Windows really was awful.

7. Paul.Lockwood

Hello to Jermery Irons

Too much hate for JavaScript guys.

While ES5 passed the five laugh test in ~thirty seconds, ES6+ and particularly via TypeScript is great. My career since 1989 has been dBase IV/ Clipper5, PowerBuilder, Java, C# and for the last three+ ~years TypeScript. The web space was nonsense until we could batter it with the OOA/OOD stick. Now it feels like coding client-server apps did in the 1990s.

Am not a Good Doctor but have a Master Degree from Manchester University; which everyone knows is number one on any list of UK Universities.

Make the switch to TypeScript everyone. With VSCode I can work on Ubuntu, Windows or a Mac just as effectively + obviously the code runs anywhere.

and I am not even joking

1. Locky

Re: Hello to Jermery Irons

Dead amaze and totes emosh

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

SwiftKey

On my Xperia. Typo H r ll

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like