back to article WW2 Enigma machine to be seized from shamed pharma bro Shkreli

A World War II German Enigma machine will be among the valuables a US court plans to seize from convicted felon and shamed former pharmaceuticals exec Martin Shkreli. The Enigma box is listed among the valuable assets American prosecutors plan to take to help cover the $7.4m in forfeiture the New York Eastern District ordered …

Page:

1. unwarranted triumphalism

Re: Is this what we're doing now?

No, it wasn't an illegal gain. It was bought with money he earned. Just because you don't like him doesn't make every single thing he does a crime.

1. gotes

He "earned" that money by fleecing investors out of millions of dollars. He was convicted for it, read the article.

2. kain preacher

it's being seized to pay court fines. Just like if I were to get judgement against a private person then send in the bailiffs to collect.

1. kain preacher

No it's the courts saying you have no money to pay your fine so will will seizes assets that equivalent to that fine. Oh did you know if the auction raises more money then the fines he gets to keep that money ?

1. d3vy

"No it's the courts saying you have no money to pay your fine so will will seizes assets that equivalent to that fine"

Wouldn't it be great if everyon could agree NOT to bid on it xcept for one (maybe a museum) meaning he loses that asset and STILL has a fine at the end.

1. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Auction

I have a feeling the auction will bombe...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Auction ....I have a feeling the auction will bombe.

IIRC during the financial crisis large houses in Dublin had become something of a bubble, and some of them had been bought by the more successful boys with the Armalites. Who ran into a spot of financial bother. When the houses were auctioned they sent the boys round to try to "persuade" bidders to offer more than the owners had paid.

I can imagine Shkreli sending his friends round to discourage purchase of his assets.

2. emmanuel goldstein

Let's face it, after "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 chambers)", which is pure genius and immortal, the Wu-Tang Clan's output has been progressively more shit. That's why they flogged OUATIS to a div with more money than taste. Fair play to them and more fool him.

BTW, did you know "The Clan" recently sued a dog-walking outfit called "Woof-Tang Clan" for breach of copyright? I shit you not.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

Securities fraud...

No "Big House" with violent criminals for this guy, he'll end up at a min sec resort with his own kind, pity really. I'm sure there is a tattooed giant in the big house who has needs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do us

all a favour, PLEASE destroy the "Lil' Wayne" album.

For the love of god (and music), please destroy it.

1. kain preacher

Re: Do us

Don't worry he soon will kill him self. he insists on drinking lean even though his body is revolting .

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Used by Adolf Hitler's German military

also, let's not forget, by Herman Goering's German military...

6. Tannin

Credit where it's due please

Look, the guy is not a total tosser, He did at least do his best to effectively erase all public access to a couple of hip-hop recordings and thus improve the world of music by some very small percentage. In recognition of this selfless and valuable act, I propose a reduction of his sentence. About three seconds seems fair.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Credit where it's due please

IKR!! It's all just THUMP THUMP THUMP these days. And the boys have longer hair than the girls!!!! What's wrong with a nice military march??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Would you like to see my collection of 21st century Telegraph poles?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

oy! leave us Poles out of it, willya!

7. wolfetone Silver badge

""It’s like owning a gas chamber.. but it’s a constant reminder that we should use knowledge for good, even if the process is ugly.""

Says the man who increased the costs of AIDs/HIV drugs by over 700%.

I hope Big John has an extra special welcome for him in prison.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

It's not like owning a gas chamber. It was just a (very good) encryption tool used in normal business well before the war.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

"It was just a (very good) encryption tool used in normal business well before and after the war."

FTFY

Enigma was widely used after the war, in part because the UK government kept both Bletchley Park and the breaking of Enigma secret, because many foreign governments thought it was secure and unbreakable...

8. rmason

Every time

Every single time, without fail.

Can we do this minus the "isn't prison rape hilarious" routine please?

9. ecofeco Silver badge

Rich guy talking about doing good while doing bad

See title.

Irony. He haz it.

10. Snorlax Silver badge
    Headmaster

The first and last...

...time you will read 'Picasso', 'Wu-tang Clan' and 'Hitler' in the same article.

1. ukgnome
      Coat

Re: The first and last...

Not true, I am workshopping a joke...

Hitler and the Wu-Tang Clan walk into a bar - Picasso gives them a sideways glance.

1. Alistair
        Windows

Re: The first and last...

@ukgnome:

"Hitler and the Wu-Tang Clan walk into a bar - Picasso gives them a sideways glance."

Hitler and the Wu-Tang Clan walk into a bar, and take a seat in a cubical - Picasso gives them a sideways glance.

FTTY

11. defiler

Couldn't happen to a more deserving chap.

I dread to think how repellent I'd find him if I actually knew him...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Superboffin?

So, in the world of RegUnits (TM), how do we distinguish between the already exalted term of boffin, and superboffin? What extra feat of boffinry do you need to commit to climb the scale of boffinism? Are there additional levels - ultraboffin? Uberboffin?

This has put far too much doubt and confusion into my already fragile world.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon