back to article Remember CompuServe forums? They're still around! Also they're about to die

CompuServe has announced it will remove its forums on December 15th, 2017. A notice that appeared on Tuesday, November 14th, US time, stated “For more than two decades, the CompuServe Forums paved the way for online discussions on a wide variety of topics and we appreciate all of the participation and comments you have …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 113215,53 reporting in!

CIS 3.0. Ugh. I was one of the testers for that and recall having to jump in when you guys weren't up for supporting it.

1. cschneid

memories

Octal user IDs, Golden CommPass, WinCIM, the Canopus Research forum, l'affaire Barkto. Good times.

2. Blitheringeejit
    Boffin

No idea what my username was...

...but I still remember (and still use for some disposable accounts!) the password which Compuserve assigned to me, made up of two dictionary words separated by a "+" sign. In terms of password security they were somewhat ahead of their time, by using multiple dictionary words and not requiring mixed case or numerics - hopefully somebody somewhere was given the password "correct+horse" and someone else had "battery+staple". (I can't remember whether I was allowed to change my password or not - but if I was, I never did.)

And if all the forum archives are lost, I really think that's a shame, as they would contain a lot of interesting data about what people were thinking and how they were interacting in early online chat systems (AKA social networking). I remember being slightly fascinated by the cultural difference in tone between Brits and Merkins in discussion groups, with the former being noticeably more polite and less inclined to robust language. (Being a Brit, I found the Merkin frankness quite refreshing.)

Careful study of these archives might even have enabled us to discover precisely when and how the rot set in, which might be handy if we ever invent a time machine.

1. Stevie

Re: No idea what my username was...

I remember being slightly fascinated by the cultural difference in tone between Brits and Merkins in discussion groups, with the former being noticeably more polite and less inclined to robust language.

And yet the more polite set still throw around that tired old Internet Slur at the expense of those allegedly with more "robust" language.

1. Kernel

"And yet the more polite set still throw around that tired old Internet Slur at the expense of those allegedly with more "robust" language."

Diamonds last forever, and some things last even longer - at this point you may as well gracefully accept the fact that you are going to be collectively known as "Merkins" until well beyond the end of the universe and get on with life.

Protesting about it certainly won't encourage the rest of us forget it.

1. jake Silver badge

No sweat, unwarranted name calling doesn't bother me a bit. Actually, it's a rather handy filter. Carry on!

3. Parash2

CIS software

Does anybody remember a dial in software for CIS called Orzak or similar. It would save on the CIS hourly charge by dialing in, picking up ones forum messeges then hangup so one could look at the content at leisure. Then dial back to post comments etc. Worked a treat and saved lots of hourly charges.

1. dajames

Re: CIS software

Does anybody remember a dial in software for CIS called Orzak or similar.

There was a reader called OzCIS, that came, I think, from some people called Ozarks West Software. I never used it, though, because I had already found WigWam when I first heard of it.

1. strum

>because I had already found WigWam when I first heard of it.

In which case, you may have read my WigWam manual.

2. wrangler

OZWIN.

I used TAPCIS myself.

4. Barry Mahon

Yep, those were the days

Blasting in from the past all that.

Goes the way of the good things of the time, Byte and Jerry Pournelle and all that stuff.

Funny, seems I had more time to shuffle around Compuserve for hours, don't seem to have time to read all my mail now....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like