back to article Boss put chocolate cake on aircon controller, to stop people using it

Far out, it's Friday! Which means it's time for another edition of On-Call, El Reg's week-ending reader-contributed tales of support gigs that went south. This week, meet “Jim” who one tended “a reasonably-sized server room/wiring closet, which hosted a number of internal and production systems. We were rather fortunate in …

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Heating / Aircon

I have witnessed a Chinese office with huge open spaces (think about 2000 square meters for just 1 of the office spaces). High ceilings as well, 5 meters and above in some areas. Polished concrete floors, a lot of glass, the real industrial look. Very impressive when you walk in, until you spotted the AC units. About 30 of them spread around. The temperature control panel was a joy to behold : 30 control dials on one wall, each AC could be individually set, by all and sundry. With the result that during year one the power bill for one hot month amounted to about 500000 CNY (this was between Guangzhou and Shenzhen, summers can be really hot). Year two involved putting locked cabinets on those dials, and dumping a lot of solar panels on the roof.

2. FuzzyWuzzys

My missus insists we have it about 23C in our house all year round, which only happened after her thyroid went haywire just after a difficult pregnancy. I prefer to be cold than hot, so my missus will often wallow in the bath 2 or 3 times a day on weekends rather than force the rest of us to sweat it out with her.

3. Muscleguy

I once worked in a lab where most of the area's Postdocs and PhD students had desks (with PCs on them) in an open plan area which had been created by glass roofing a square space inside the building but open to the sky.

It had large aircon units which were ancient and VERY LOUD when they were working. In the winter we froze and in the summer we roasted. However, at no point, which got measured, were the temperatures high enough or low enough to warrant action under H&S to be taken to remedy the situation.

From personal experience sitting still at 12C in inside clothes is uncomfortable. I used to wear a fleece. If I had continued to work there through another Scottish winter I would have bought fingerless gloves.

Most folk in Scotland cease to use their conservatories in the winter. We had to work in one. Because we were deep in a well of buildings we almost never got sun except in high summer. Needless to say we didn't have cellular connections. You had to go to the very end of the corridor for that.

4. Captain DaFt

I've also never worked anywhere yet where anyone who could didn't fiddle with the thermostat constantly as the temperature was uncomfortable somewhere in the office.

Surely this shit should be sorted out by now.

Best "solution" I ever heard of was the company that installed dummy thermostats around the area. (But didn't tell the workers that!)

People fiddled with them and commented on how much more comfortable the area was.

All due to the placebo effect and a sense of control over the environment.

Meanwhile, the real thermostat that controlled the heating/AC was never changed.

5. G.Y.

humidity Re: Heating / Aircon

At one place, half the people complained it was too hot, half that it was too cold. The AC people ran round&round with a thermometer.

They never checked humidity; but one person would ride her bike to work, put her sweaty sweatshirt on her chair to dry -- and after 9+ hours it would be still sweaty.

I suggested they replace their thermometer with an astrology book -- more fun, and equally misleading.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Coffee/keyboard

The Juice Is Loose

Back in pre-history, Philips made a useful workstation system called Maestro, a mini-computer and desktop system that we used to make life easier for the mainframe developerr. We used them very effectively and were pleased when we upgraded to the new Maestro 9000 series, which had a lot of the functionality put into some slick and spendy (£3000 in 1990) keyboard units. You can see one stuck to the wall of the Starbug in Red Dwarf. They were well built, but sadly not environment sealed as we discovered when my desk neighbour over-exerted himself while trying to open a recalcitrant carton of orange juice and when the carton opened in a rapidly evolving failure mode dumped the contents into the keyboard/desktop computer unit. Orange juice and PCBs are not amicable companions. He was known as OJ for a long while after that, until the nickname acquired unfortunate connotations.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The Juice Is Loose

"dumped the contents into the keyboard/desktop computer unit."

Wasn't that also the sort of time period when even thinking about eating or drinking within 10 feet of the computer or keyboard was a sackable offence?

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: The Juice Is Loose

We were developers, what were they going to do?

Taking food and drink near any of the msnframe nodes in the computer hall, however, was utterly forbidden (unless you were an op and it was anywhere near Christmas - we’ve had BOFHs in our life ever since Knute was a lad).

2. Alister

I think I've written before about our comms room. Unusually, we, the Ops staff were given the opportunity to design the space and layout from a blank sheet when we moved into the building, as it was a new build specifically for the company.

We therefore designed the whole area to be open and spacious, with a central row of racks down the middle of the room with power distribution and network access from the ceiling, and wide sturdy worktops down one side, with loads of power outlets and network ports available. Dedicated air-conditioning was put in place with a hot side and a cold side for the racks.

Access to the comms room was controlled by electronic tags as well as physical locks, and only IT staff and company Directors were allowed access.

Within 3 months of moving in, the room had changed from a roomy, pleasant work space, to being jammed full of crap. There's a golf cart, a set of car wheels, broken desks and chairs and all sorts of other stuff, to the point that it is no longer possible to open the rack doors unless you first empty the room into the corridor.

The IT staff have not done this, so guess who?

1. Olivier2553

That one would have been easy: an urgent maintenance that needs all the rack doors to be open. Dump the junk in the corridor and let the owners deal with it.

Of course, the maintenance will take several weeks.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

No need for urgent maintenance. Just send out an email: "The junk from the comms room has been moved to the corridor. The owners WILL retrieve their Junk before date X. On date X any remaining objects will be dumped in a skip. We are NOT responsible for loss of items."

There is no need to NOT be a dick about it.

1. Swarthy
        Stop

There is no need to NOT be a dick about it.

Erm, I think the part where it's the Company Directors' junk would imply a good reason to not be a dick.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I would still be a dick about it. Just because they are director doesn't mean they can just dump personal items in a work environment without problem. Tires/wheels and such do not belong in a comms room, so they don't stay in the comms room.

2. hplasm
          Mushroom

Erm 2...

I think the part where it's the Company Directors' junk would imply the best reason to be a dick.

Play them at their own game.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: Erm 2...

Just move the crap directly into the skip. When asked what happened to it, reply that you dont know, one day it was gone and you assumed whoever put it there took it away.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Obvious design fail

Designing it "roomy" was asking for trouble. If there is spare space in a non-client-visible part of a building, it WILL be used as storage space until the room is no longer usable. You're lucky that you didn't end up hosting the cleaning staff's wheelie cart as well. I for one have never seen any place where that did not happen, and I've seen quite a few places on several continents. It's just a basic law of the Universe. If you want a garbage-free environment, design it with enough space for operation, but barely (of course that doesn't apply to client-visible places such as lobbies, where hundreds square meters of empty, wasted space seem to be desirable).

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Obvious design fail

"Designing it "roomy" was asking for trouble."

No, allowing anyone other than the IT staff was.

Noone outside IT goes in our server room unaccompanied. The extingushant system is potentially lethal.

That's our excuse and we're sticking to it.

1. Uffish

Re: "potentially lethal"

It's not worth having a dangerous system if it's not fully, and reliably, lethal, takes all the fun out of it.

4. Trygve Henriksen

You designed the computer room wrong.

The doors need to be 2" wider than any unit to be placed inside(usually the racks) and no more. The room needs to be long and narrow, and the racks facing towards one of the long walls, so that there's decent working area in front and behind, but no more. Workdesks and storage is to be at the end furthest away from the doors.

You need a raised floor, and a step up just inside the door. And a ramp that is cumbersome to assemble and put in place, and must be removed again to close the door.

That will make it a PITA to store large objects in there...

Mark off any corner or other floorspace with yellow and black tape, and write 'for recycling'...

Then track down and... 'no one ever heard from them ever again' anyone who has access without a good cause.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
        Facepalm

Re: Trygve Henriksen

Nonsense. Some of the measures you are recommending will also make life difficult for day-to-day work, and the others are just useless if not harmful. Storage and desk areas, that you recommend be placed in the furthest area of the server room, should really be completely separate and placed foremost so as to serve as additional access control. In the real world no raised floor or access ramp will prevent strorage of any kind of object, including very heavy ones. You would only create problems for yourself by increasing the hassle of removing them. No raised floor will prevent clueless people from thinking that storing it there is easier than chucking it in the lift and putting it in *proper* storage in the -creepy, dark, distant- basement. Or, god forbid, filing the proper paperwork to have it discarded. "recycling area"-type marking actually makes it WORST, as people do genuinely believe that it's now YOUR problem and will dump MORE garbage there. Trust me, been there, seen that, and quite often, too. We even had to deal with a "work accident" claim from someone who got a backache from dumping a small (broken) fridge from the rest area into a tech space. Said tech space being difficult to dump gabage into was designated an Occupational Hazard in the claim. Yeah, right. (this one didn't go through, obviously).

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Within 3 months of moving in, the room had changed from a roomy, pleasant work space, to being jammed full of crap..... to the point that it is no longer possible to open the rack doors unless you first empty the room into the corridor."

Which is what you do, and then make an anonymous call to the local fire service that a unannounced random inspection would be a good idea.

Or just tell the maintenance staff that all the crap in the hallway needs to go into a skip - NOW.

3. Elmer Phud

Steak

Used to work in a place with a tiny server room with huge air intake.

All was fine apart from a nearby company kitchen that sometimes pumped out the aroma of steak and garlic.

The hazard in the room was of saliva.

1. Rich 11

Re: Steak

When there's a southwest breeze, my office receives the scent of toast in the morning and chips at lunchtime. In the ten years I've been here I've put on two stone.

1. Morten_T
        Happy

This sounds a bit familiar. Our office is next to a company making sweets. At 4-5am we can smell it, and can usually make out if it's licorice, caramel or strawberry on that day. I like it - many of my colleagues, not so much.

1. Martin Gregorie

That sounds very familiar: the first mainframe I ever saw (an ICL 1902, old enough to have ferrite core memory and 8MB disk drives) lived in a first floor lair with the aircon intake near the exit vent from the ground floor fish 'n chip shop's deep-frying system. Very distracting around lunch times with the appropriate wind direction. Fortunately that wasn't the prevailing wind, and anyway, after a year we got a shiny new computer room with a 1903S, 60MB drives and offices in another part of town.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Ah yes, the AirCon adjustments

Somewhere in Central Asia we installed a system on the 4ft floor of a Communist Era Office block. The climate was controlled by how much a huge window was opened.

This worked fine until a Hooded Crow flew into said window and killed itself. As anyone who has seen the aftermath of a Sparrowhawk meeting a pigeon in mid air knows, that all that is left is feathers and dust and lots of both. They went everywhere.

It took a month of work to finally get rid of the detritous from the incident. It was a good job that the HDD's were sealed units. I'd hate to think what would have happened if we were still using removable disk packs.

When I departed the site, they were still using the window but some netting had been strung over the outside of the building to stop the birds from flying where they shouldn't have been.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Ah yes, the AirCon adjustments

4ft floor? Seems a bit low.

1. Justicesays

Re: Ah yes, the AirCon adjustments

Something like this I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Y7oo3iB40

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cake, and grief counseling

+10 rep for not using duct tape

-10 rep for not using clear packing tape or something approximately as photogenic

-50 rep for using a schizophrenic's sense of causality

1. Baldrickk

Re: cake, and grief counseling

This is the first time I've actually seen someone use that quote and not the overused one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'Tis a shame-- that's the first strong hint that you are probably in the Twilight Zone, and my favourite.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

in case you missed the connection, here's a nice bit of back story and bonus mid-story leading up to the endgame

"The bad news is that reality doesn't exist. The good news is we have a new cat graveyard."

6. techdead
    Facepalm

Winter tyres...

we had a Russian office where the partners stored their winter tyres for their Zils or whatever tank was popular at the time, in the comms room...

7. ukgnome

The first I have ever said this

Cake is not the solution

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: The first I have ever said this

"Cake is not the solution"

Of course it is. What's the problem?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: The first I have ever said this

"Cake is not the solution"

Of course it is. What's the problem?

Wanting to have a high blood glucose level due to a partial failure of the feedback monitoring and control system..

8. 's water music

The ops manager eventually just went and got the office vacuum cleaner...

Srsly? He didn't unplug an entire rack of kit to power up the hoover? Where's his sense of comic timing ffs?

9. Alan Sharkey

It's not just cake which can annoy the real folk.

Many years ago I ran a computer department. The management of the company decided that they wanted to run "musak" throughout the building. In vain, I protested that we were coding and needed quiet in our little area.

The day after the speakers went live, they were suprisingly quiet - due to a small pair of wire cutters I just happened to have in my desk :)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: It's not just cake which can annoy the real folk.

"a small pair of wire cutters"

One former colleague who preferred piece and quiet in pubs was known to carry a pair of wire cutters in her handbag.

1. BebopWeBop

I have to confess to acquiring a very handy Casio watch (when they went bells and whistles in a very impressive manner) that seemed to have a comprehensive collection of TV remote IR codes. Yup - when you wanted to turn down the volume/turn off an irritating television it turned out to be very useful Guess it dates me a little......

1. Baldrickk

I have an off-brand one of those, bought from a market stall in Thailand... It's very useful indeed, and good for playing tricks on people.

Finding a perfect match to any tv might take a while, but a lot of them share codes for some functionality.

2. Alister

I have to confess to acquiring a very handy Casio watch

Awww. Given the mention of wire-cutters above, I was hoping for a James Bond style watch with a laser in it to cut the speaker wires...

Disappointed now...

:(

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Yup - when you wanted to turn down the volume/turn off an irritating television it turned out to be very useful "

Some android phones have IR emitters and in the App store there are a few apps that can utilise this for switching off TVs.

Guess how I know this? :)

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"Some android phones have IR emitters and in the App store there are a few apps that can utilise this for switching off TVs."

Pierogi on the N900 here. Very useful.

pierogi.garage.maemo.org

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"piece and quiet"

Dammit. I'm having a bad weak with my tiepin.

1. W4YBO

"piece and quiet"

And here I had that scored as pun of the week!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The day after the speakers went live, they were suprisingly quiet - due to a small pair of wire cutters"

I can now reveal that, as a student and at the request of my boss, I replaced the 100V line speaker in the outer office with a suitable wire wound resistor, so that the people running the muzak system would not notice that the current had reduced.

3. PNGuinn
      Megaphone

re Musak

In a design lab at Marconi Chelmsford - so I was told:

Manglement decided that the department warranted a Tannoy speaker. A loud one.

The engineers disagreed. Complaints were ignored. Repeatedly.

Over the weeks the sound became more distorted, but quieter. Eventually whatever the fault was, the thing was barely audible and everyone was happy.

Some years later - redecoration time. A chippy (and probably a sparks) was sent round to remove the speaker. He nearly dropped it it was so heavy. Removing the back out of curiosity revealed a speaker cone peppered with holes and a box half full of lead shot.

10. RockBurner

Storing stuff in the server room (because it's the only room in the office which is regularly locked) is so commonplace in SMBs that I'd be surprised if it wasn't a 'Recommended Cost Saving Security Solution' in some PHB management book by some business management entrepreneur.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like