back to article Lenovo spits out retro ThinkPads for iconic laptop's 25th birthday

After teasing techies for months, Lenovo has finally unveiled the ThinkPad 25: a laptop designed to mimic the look and feel of the legendary IBM ThinkPad but with all modern components. This 336.6 mm x 232.5 mm x 19.95 mm ThinkPad 25 has the seven-row keyboard beloved by ThinkPad devotees but which Lenovo dumped in 2011, the …

1. SkippyBing

Re: Not "nipple"....

That's where I'm going wrong...

2. Cynical Observer
      Joke

I can't find it on my keyboard....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just start at the navel, move your finger slowly downwards while stroking gently from side to side until you hear a moan. It really is as simple as that.

1. Mark 110

You tease you!!!!!!!

3. fobobob

Everyone knows it's supposed to be called a TrackPoint-Style Strain Gauge Pointing Device, or TPSSGPD for short. You're just being petty.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Transnote

Friend of mine gave me his.

I wanted to love it I really did. A really good idea. But fundamentally a pig of a machine.

And a far-too-heavy one at that.

On the other hand I have a working T30 with XP loaded which I fire up occasionally to enjoy the keyboard. But only briefly - I have to blow hard into the air vent to clean out the cooling fans before they seize.

1. Stoneshop

Re: Transnote

But only briefly - I have to blow hard into the air vent to clean out the cooling fans before they seize.

My X61 decided to get the CPU fan to seize while on holiday for a week. A trip to one of those local Pakistani-run WeSellEverythingIncludingKitchenSinks store somewhere in London for a set of jeweller's screwdrivers, a tin of lighter fluid and a flacon of universal oil solved that.

Remove keyboard, peel sticker off fan hub, mix a bit of lube with lighter fluid (otherwise it's too viscous for that bearing) and put that in the fan hub.

Done. Kept going for several weeks, long enough to get home, order a new fan and wait for it to arrive.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Finally they've brought back the proper keyboard and done away with that chiclet shite. I'm still using my T500 which I bought second hand to replace my R50e ThinkPad (which was my first). Still a capable development laptop with the proper keyboard.

It's just a shame that I don't have $1800 to spend on a new ThinkPad. Oh well, I'll just keep buying new batteries for my T500 until it dies of overuse. But what am I saying? It's a ThinkPad. They'll outlive me!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chiclet KB is still better than the competition, I think.

I use a W500 at home, so first grumbled when work gave me a T550 with the chiclet KB. They replaced that with an HP Elitebook - upon which I found myself wanting to grumble about how the keyboard was inferior to the T550.

But I stopped myself when I realised how bad consumer laptops' keyboards are....

3. Krack73

Lenovo T410

My old T410. With added ssd and 8 gb might be replaced by this. Don't get me wrong it still works and runs beautifully.

Just be nicer to have a model which might last me another 7 years of solid and reliable working no thrills laptop. Plus looks like it comes with a proper keyboard and not the clicklet one.

4. SW10
    Happy

Happy days

I was issued a Thinkpad along with a Blackberry and a Nokia 6110i., thus becoming one of the ultimate work-anywhere road warriors.

Have we made progress since?

1. JulieM Silver badge

Re: Happy days

Progress? Sure. Processors have been getting faster, and RAM and storage have been getting cheaper. Meanwhile, software has been doing its best to cancel out these improvements.

5. 45RPM Silver badge

Would you like a side order of OS/2 to go with that?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Would you like a side order of OS/2 to go with that?

Oy. Don't diss the mighty OS/2. OK - so it might have had the ultimate dysfunctional parental unit(s) but, despite all that, turned out to be friendly and approachable.

1. 45RPM Silver badge

@CrazyOldCatMan

I wasn’t. Actually, I found my old OS/2 2 install CD last month - but not the boot floppy disks which are also a prerequisite for install. Besides, if I recall correctly, you can’t install OS/2 2 on a system with more that a certain amount of memory (8MB?) or speed (33MHz?) - although it’ll run correctly once installed. Something like that anyway. I can’t remember the specifics.

I used to run it on my 25MHz Opus 386 PC. Happy days.

6. Dave K

Missed opportunity

The problem is that Lenovo were talking about this being a retro Thinkpad, yet what they've actually released is just a T470 with a classic keyboard and a few transfers stuck on it.

No buttons on the trackpad.

No status LEDs.

No ThinkLight.

Nasty 16:9 screen.

Basically the only thing in its favour is the keyboard.

I was eagerly looking forward to this when Lenovo first mooted it some time back as a possible replacement for my X201 (last one Lenovo made with a 16:10 screen), but the actual product is a real let down.

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Re: Missed opportunity

I don't care about the ThinkLight, I can live without that. The rest are disappointments I could live with except the 16:9 screen, that kills it for me and nixes a sale of 2 units. FFS a DVD resolution screen on a laptop. How original. How work focussed.

7. AndrueC Silver badge

Bah. All I want is a laptop with a large screen (17" is currently adequate - bloody presbyopia) and dedicated mouse buttons. I don't need anything else. Ought to be possible to find one for a few hundred quid.

<old git rant>

Why is it laptops never seem to really come down in price? They get faster but somehow the lowest spec laptop always costs about £400. And large screens don't seem very popular. Odd that. Maybe as the rest of the population ages they'll become more popular. It wouldn't be so bad if web site designers didn't waste so much screen space these days. O! for the days when you could read most of what you needed to without having to scroll the screen.

</old git rant>

Happy Friday, everyone :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Bah. All I want is a laptop with a large screen (17" is currently adequate - bloody presbyopia) "

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-predator-21x/review/

"hey get faster but somehow the lowest spec laptop always costs about £400. "

£133?

"https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-es1-132-intel-celeron-n3350-4gb-32gb-ssd-11.6-inch-windows-10-l-nx.ghlek.001/version.asp"

If you could live with a 15.5"

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-15-ay078na-pentium-n3710-4gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-1bw60ea/version.asp

1. Buzzword

17" laptops

I'll direct you to this handy chart of laptops with matte screens (because glossy screens are the devil's creation): https://www.productchart.co.uk/laptops/sets/1

Basically the only 17-inch options are gaming laptops such as Asus ROG (Republic Of Gamers), Dell Alienware, Acer Predator, or MSDI Dominator. There's one decent-looking HP Pavillion laptop too.

Screen size seems to be inversely proportional to screen resolution: my pocket smartphone has something approaching 4K resolution, whereas hardly any of the 17" laptops have anything more than 1920x1080.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: 17" laptops

I believe that they are planning to release a laptop with the 36" screen in a year for the old folk.

1. Alan Edwards

> I believe that they are planning to release a laptop with the 36" screen

And it'll be 1080p, grumble grumble, rubbish laptop resolutions.

2. AndrueC Silver badge

Guess I was really lucky to get my Acer Aspire ES 17 then. It was just under £500 and aside from the large screen is just a bog standard laptop. With a crappy touchpad :-/

And yeah I guess I should have said 'the lowest, reasonable spec laptop' but rants don't have to be accurate :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, a 17" ThinkPad with 4K resolution would be just the ticket.

3. fobobob

Desktops I build with current generation parts once every few years... laptops, on the other hand... I buy second-hand business laptops that are 2-3 years old, and save gobs of cash on quality products. I briefly thought you were off mark on large laptop screens being uncommon, but I'm having trouble finding ANY > 17" that aren't overpriced gaming laptops... that being said, I'm writing this on a 23" 16:9 monitor, and I actually feel like a 21" machine wouldn't be all that insane for a desktop replacement machine, especially if they minimized the bezel.

edit: I see now that someone replied to you with an absolutely ridiculous 21" gaming laptop xD ... I purchased my current car (used Crown Victoria, with only 11K miles on it) for as much as that thing costs.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a special logo and design to celebrate the 25th anniversary

If this line, taken, presumably, from lenovo glossy sheet is meant to be a selling point, it's pretty ironic, because thinktop laptops were loved by "techies" for a set of different features to "special logo and design".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

x220... slow to boot

I don't know what you did to yours, but mine boots in about 10 - 15 sec. And I'm not a penguinista, old plain W7, with an ssd, true, but still...

1. Dave K

Re: x220... slow to boot

Agreed. I have an even older X201 (also with Windows 7). With an SSD and an 8GB RAM upgrade, it boots to the Windows desktop in about 20 seconds. Not as fast as new machines, but certainly doesn't feel slow to me!

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I've got the Dell equivalent (Latitude e6220) with SSD and Solus (distro optimized for fast boot and shutdown) and it boots in <10s.

3. fobobob

Had my T60 booting Windows 8 on spinning rust in ~10-12 seconds from pressing the switch, albeit with substantial optimization.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

T470

I've been running the T470 which this retro version is basically for about 6 months, I've nothing but good things to say about it, it replaced a Macbook Pro 2011. I did buy a XPS 15 and the new Macbook Pro before landing on this but both went back faulty.

The build quality on the T470 is excellent, best keyboard I've ever had on a laptop, beats the clacky thing on the new Macbooks, and above all it just works. I use it 8-10 hours a day, get 4-5 hours battery out of it running Visual Studio with Resharper, SQL Server and IIS on it.

I am converted, which given I was a hardened macbook fanboi prior was a bit of surprise.

11. Fihart

A survivor.

Found a T410S in the trash; lid hanging by one hinge, screen hanging from lid, keyboard sticky from ciggy smoke.

After a little kitchen table engineering, W7 reinstall and shitload of drivers from Lenovo site, now my favourite laptop. Touchscreen, SSD, silly light over the nice keyboard. Wish they'd implemented the mobile broadband more sensibly !

Love the TP almost as much I loved my first laptop -- Dell Latitude CPi Pentium2 in blue, built from two flea market wrecks for under £20.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keyboards

Don't forget the IBM standard desktop keyboards.

I've kept several for when they wear out, so far I'm still using the first one as I type this and every key works.

It's a Model number SK-8815, a few letters are fading but that's it.

Great engineering.

13. Fihart

Desktop Keyboards @AC

"Don't forget the IBM standard desktop keyboards.

I've kept several for when they wear out, so far I'm still using the first one as I type this and every key works."

As far as I can see, they don't wear out -- typing this on a model built in 1991 (in Scotland, from girders).

1. silks

Re: Desktop Keyboards @AC

The legendary IBM Model M keyboard - in good condition they're worth a few hundred pounds on a popular auction site.

14. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Tempting

I'll wait on UK pricing, availability, and I presume it is the case that they're being lazy and not creating a UK keyboard with an inverted and mirrored L shaped return key.

I did have a Thinkpad 701CS, it was quite good, but the expanding keyboard was just not as durable as normal thinkpad ones, the hinge eventually started failing, and the screen resolution was rather low.

Currently still on an X61, but web browsing is a bit slow in OpenBSD (part of this will be BSD's fault). I was pondering an X230 with a 220 keyboard and a new screen transplanted into it (this is possible), but now the 25 is out it's a little tempting. A little disappointed by screen resolution and lack of a thinklight, but the discrete GPU and thunderbolt are decent additions.

I've used lots of Thinkpads in the past, the X40/X41 had a lovely form factor, but the dog slow custom hard drive was awkward.

15. phuzz Silver badge
    Joke

"On the port side, the ThinkPad 25 is lavishly equipped"

What about the starboard side?

1. Cynical Observer
      Joke

Klingons?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What about the starboard side?"

After you've had the broadside from the port side, the starboard side will be of very limited interest to any survivors.

16. Jon Massey
    Thumb Up

Might be a worthy replacement

for my W520 workhorse which hasn't skipped a beat since 2011. Had an SSD upgrade and a bit more RAM a couple of years ago but other than that it's all original, including the 9-cell battery which is still good for about 4-4.5h.

1. GrapeBunch

Re: Might be a worthy replacement

Not sure why you need to upgrade the W520, which has the blue "ThinkVantage" key and the screen light, with an otherwise identical keyboard layout to the 25. With 24 or 32 GB RAM, it runs just fine. It won't drive a 4K display at 60 Hz is all.

While the 700C was the first Thinkpad, the most iconic was the 701C which came out not long after. OS/2 was sweet and, of course, the butterfly keyboard. The main weakness of the 701C was the hinges. That would have been a fitting machine to honour.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are the LEDs then

Not even a HDD activity light? No thanks. My T430 was the last ever Lenovo product I will buy

1. fobobob

Re: Where are the LEDs then

Always a buzzkill to find an otherwise decent machine lacks meaningful indicator lights :( It is, however, one flaw I can deal with, as I tend to leave top/htop/taskmgr/Process Explorer/{other arbitrary system activity monitor} running most of the time anyhow.

18. Salestard

The Thinkslab. My back doth protest

Put down the rose-tinted Friday afternoon beer goggles chaps - the Thinkslab was an absolute nightmare if you had to actually lug it around with you all day.

Got my first one upon joining Sema; it was basically an anvil with an HDD. Of course, backpacks weren't invented then, or if they were, no self respecting salesgit would ever use one - creases the suit and makes your back a sweaty mess. Shoulder bag it was, which would include paper stuff, charger, fags, bottle of water, etc.

Many, many, years later I'm having physio on a shoulder injury. Lying there, physio lady says "you carry weights on your right shoulder? Your spine is curved to the left where you're always compensating"

No wonder I went fully insane and bought a BlackBerry PlayBook... anything but carry that damn laptop around.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Thinkslab. My back doth protest

> it was basically an anvil with an HDD

lovely line...

19. Stevie

Bah!

Wot, no butterfly keyboard?

20. Alan Edwards

Thinkpads

Had quite a few ThinkPads over the years, and loved most of them.

The T43 was a bit of a donkey, that went in favour of one of my favourites, the T61. My T510 was dropped by it's previous user hard enough to break the plastic fan vent and bend the heatsink fins, and was still working when I was made redundant.

My personal laptop is a T410, I have an X240 from work, and my mum has a T410 I set up for her. I've played with getting a X230 or T420 for myself, but I don't really like 16:9 screens.

21. DrXym

Serviceability

I've used a few Thinkpads and the biggest attraction of them was the fact that if something broke you could order a replacement part. And aside from that they were quite rugged with nice lids that closed shut properly. The red nipple thing was and still is vastly easier to use for precision than a touchpad.

I wonder if this is true for the Thinkpad 25 or if it's going to break if you look at it sideways and the whole lot has to be junked.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't a drive-locking accelerometer be problematic in space?

If so then obviously they just turned it off, but can somebody smarter than I speak as to that?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Wouldn't a drive-locking accelerometer be problematic in space?

It relies on a device driver that reads accelerometer data and issues park commands to HDD if any unhealthy movements are detected. No driver, no problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like