back to article Dumb bug of the week: Apple's macOS reveals your encrypted drive's password in the hint box

Apple on Thursday released a security patch for macOS High Sierra 10.13 to address vulnerabilities in Apple File System (APFS) volumes and its Keychain software. Matheus Mariano, a developer with Brazil-based Leet Tech, documented the APFS flaw in a blog post a week ago, and it has since been reproduced by another programmer, …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why

Because it was a programming bug.

strcpy(stored_hint, typed_password) and NOT like it should have been:

strcpy(stored_hint, typed_hint)

1. Stevie

Bah!

So what?

I bet 90% of these passwords are either correcthorsebatterystaple or itjustworks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Indian...

...coding..

1. Tromos
      Joke

Re: Indian...

Looks more like cowboy coding to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

H-1B - making America great again.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Looks more like cowboy coding to me."
        Buffalo Bill Coding; no doubt about it...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Racist...

poster.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Triggered...

Snowflake.

2. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Prince Phillip? What are you doing here?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bloody foreigners! Staying over there, taking our jobs!

3. David Nash Silver badge

Nope, just a typo or simple mistake - used the password value rather than the hint value.

The real problem was not testing properly to catch this kind of thing.

3. coconuthead

Probably no-one at Apple noticed because they're all still using the command line instead of Disk Utility for everyday volume maintenance, and the bug isn't present in the command line version. Everyone uses command line diskutil because several versions ago (I think in El Capitan) Disk Utility lost essential functionality. If, for example, you wanted to set up software RAID (e.g. mirrorring) you suddenly had to use the command line. If you've been routinely doing that for two years or more and you're a developer, of course you're going to continue instead of learning High Sierra's new Disk Utility.

The real disgrace is that El Capitan ever got out the door with that neutered Disk Utility. Lots of people in the creative industries - photographers, video editors, animators etc. - had a need for and used RAID, especially with the popular cheesegrater towers. To expect those kinds of people to use the command line was absurd.

So this isn't just a matter of poor QA on High Sierra - although it is that - but poor software development plans as set out by senior management. It was a conscious decision that power users, including Apple's own developers, would not be "eating their own dog food".

1. Daniel B.

The Neutered Disk Utility

I knew I couldn't be the only one mad at this change. I actually held off upgrading to El Capitan because of it. Ended up jumping from Yosemite to Sierra on April because APFS was actually piquing my interest. I didn't really expect it to be released with these kind of bugs, though.

4. swm

When I taught computer science I mentioned that a convenient user interface would be a drop-down menu of password(s) the user could choose from. I guess Apple improved on my idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple improved on my idea

I believe the correct term would be "innovated".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

** *** ****** Q0i_0P7.TG90!@67R5 ** ****** **** ****** ******** **

6. GreggS

Welcome to the world of Microsoft Windows

Oh, hang on a minute..

"The biggest problem with Apple putting less effort into macOS isn't that it stagnates — it's that they make buggier, sloppier updates"

7. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Facepalm

Last time I saw passwords in plain text on the screen it was apple doing it - deliberately.

It was about 1996 , and some kind of apple server we used to have used to proudly display the name and password or people as they logged in on a little LCD screen on the top of its tower.

8. stu 4

OSX updates

I used to enjoy new updates - they brought great new pro features - I remember putting snow leopard on and getting so much better performance on CPU tasks, GPU tasks, etc. It was what you EXPECT from mac os upgrades - making everything better by taking advantage of the tight HW integration and leveraging real time GPU encoding/decoding, etc, etc.

Since then it's been downhill - adding useless shite every year that I have to disable (launchpad, game centre, notifications, flat icon bollocks, daemon services for facebook, icloud and various other crap I have no intention of every using)

My approach is now to not upgrade the OS version AT ALL (security patches aside) , until one of my key program's updates has some killer features that I need - and is tied to a more recent OSX version. Even then it pains me to have to, as 9x out of 10 there's no technical reason for the restriction.

So I only moved to El Capitan late this year when FCPX and a few other apps wouldn't install updates on Yosemite, and I decided it was worth the hassle. Sierra was out, but I saw no point in moving more than I needed to.

Queue 1/2 a day of updating all the low level utils that then break once El Capitan on, and disabling various pieces of crap I have no interest in (social media shite up the wazoo for example), disabling SIP cause like... I'm a big boy... if I want to use XtraFinder because after 17 years your shite Finder still doesn't allow proper cut and paste,and right click to create a text file where I want to, I'll fecking well do it.

Sierra continued this approach by offering nothing new other than trying to make my mac look and work like an iphone. And having never had any issues at all with AFS, I've no desire for high sierra either frankly.

1. jason 7

Re: OSX updates

This is how I feel about pretty much all mainstream OS nowadays.

I don't want 'more stuff' I have all that or can add it later as I need it. I just want the OS to be faster, leaner and more secure.

I have no need for dozens of apps and features I have no use for, cannot properly uninstall and just add to the attack surface and are the reason for masses of more unnecessary updates.

What feature would I like the most? Thanks for asking, I'd like a modern robust file system that can transfer thousands of small 10Kb files at the same rate as it can a 10GB video file instead of crawling to a near halt over my 3500MBps NVME storage hardware. That will be a start. I'll never get it though, I guess I'll have to make do with some 3D kids party planner app instead.

1. dgc03052

Re: OSX updates

" I'd like a modern robust file system that can transfer thousands of small 10Kb files at the same rate as it can a 10GB video file instead of crawling to a near halt over my 3500MBps NVME storage hardware"

This!

This!

A dozen upvotes for this...

9. wolfetone Silver badge
    Pint

Fair play Apple, making sure it "just works" for everyone. Including those who want your encrypted data when you're not around.

Here, have a pint. Yes it's warm. Yes there's no head. Yes there is faint wiff of piss from it. Yes we're aware of the issue, but we'll sort it out after you drink this pint first.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That'll be Amber nectar no doubt?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

That'll be Amber nectar no doubt?

I think I'd rather drink piss!

10. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Hints

Password hints can only weaken the security of a password. Apple just did it better, that's all.

11. Valerion

I reckon it was done on purpose

This smacks of a developer deliberately storing the password in the hint field on purpose, so that he (or she) can test it as she (or he) goes along and not worry have to worry about remembering the password.

The intention would have been to remove that bit before committing it, but (s)he forgot, and nobody noticed it in the pull request.

12. adam payne

Wow just wow.

13. charlieboywoof

......................................someone just turned in their grave.

There was a disturbance in the Force

14. vincent himpe

Crap, Apple went pop...

there goes the breakfast cereal ...

15. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

You couldn't make it up...

2017 in review:

Microsoft: Hey, we didn't validate our update before rolling it out - top that!

Google: That's nothing - we released the latest version of our mobile OS with a bug that eats all your data - top that!

Apple: Hold my beer...

16. tekHedd

Low Sierra

And... because High Sierra is now available, you can no longer upgrade to regular old Sierra, unless you previously installed it, because, oh right there's no reason.

Since a lot of my apps now (finally) work with Sierra but are officially listed as not working with High Sierra, I'm kinda stuck where I am.

17. ThomH

Dumb bug of only the week is being fairly generous

An alternative suggestion as to the source however: when one uses Apple's interface builder, one task is to connect outlets to graphical elements, e.g. you know there's an NSTextField that the user will type a password into so you declare an NSTextField property and then you switch to the interface builder where you have laid out the dialogue and you wire the property to the control — literally drag a connection from the one to the other. Then in code you access the text field's contents via the outlet.

A drag and drop error that connected both the 'hint' and 'password' outlets to the password text field would then result in the password being recorded as both, even though the code says 'self.password' for one and 'self.hint' for the other. And the wiring is all within the undocumented XML format used for interface layouts, so good luck getting a meaningful code review on that.

Given the whole purpose and importance of a password hint, it's mind boggling that nobody tested the feature.

18. Chemical Bob
    Trollface

I'm sure they did it on purpose to satisfy the FBI.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to maintain an old system that stored plaintext passwords and hints. It was not uncommon to see things like pw=Paris, hint=Capital of France..

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think Different

This is clearly FAKE NEWS since everything Apple produces is PERFECT in every way

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Think Different

Mister President, you can post under your real name here. Nobody's going to tell Ivanka or General Kelly, we promise.

Besides, I thought you used an America First Samsung (made in China and designed by Koreans) anyway?

21. Jude Bradley

Sounds like something...

Douglas Adams would have written about. Password 42 anyone?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like