back to article Amazon told to repay €250m in 'unfair state aid' from Luxembourg

The European Commission has ordered Amazon to repay €250m (£222m) for benefiting from illegal and unfair state aid courtesy of Luxembourg. A ruling in the tiny Euro nation reduced Amazon's tax bill for more than eight years, from May 2006 to June 2014. But the commission today decided that tax break was not justified. Amazon …

Page:

1. Filippo Silver badge

Also, the Commission is not "retroactively imposing taxes". There are treaties, which Luxembourg signed and agreed to, which state that you can't give preferential tax treatment to specific companies. Which means that this isn't a case of somebody making up a new tax and applying it retroactively; this is a case of someone *breaking the law* and getting punished for it. Which sounds absolutely fine to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet the money will arrive in an absolutely massive box. But it will arrive on time.

2. Stratman

Amazon told to repay €250m

I bet it won't be next day delivery

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon told to repay €250m - I bet it won't be next day delivery

Yes I want a multi-year free trial of Amazon-Luxembourg tax avoidance!!! Whoopee!!

Continue without gaining tax avoidance benefits? Really?

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Capitalism

capitalism

=================

ˈkapɪt(ə)lɪz(ə)m/

noun

noun: capitalism

an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

tax avoidance

=================

(See capitalism)

4. anothercynic Silver badge

CALLED IT!

When the EC pulled that stunt with Apple and Ireland, I knew it would just be a question of time for Amazon et al.

At the same time, it would be worth the EC's time to pull in (and fine) the man who signed off on this deal. Oh. Wait. He's the head of the EC...

5. David Tallboys

Meanwhile in the UK HMRC switches to Amazon

Yep, as I understand it, HMRC has dumped a Manchester provider in favour of Amazon. You'd have thought somebody would mention it to the Tory party conference. But then, maybe not.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like