back to article Dildon'ts of Bluetooth: Pen test boffins sniff out Berlin's smart butt plugs

Security researchers have figured out how to locate and exploit smart adult toys. Various shenanigans are possible because of the easy discoverability and exploitability of internet-connected butt plugs and the like running Bluetooth's baby brother, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), a wireless personal area network technology. The …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect you could do the same with fitbits but.

A. It's not near as interesting.

B. All you have to do is ask a fitbit user they will tell you everything. In boring detail.

2. Tikimon
    Devil

New date finder!

Hey, is this a great way to find dates or what? Any owner of such a device is by definition horny, sexually adventurous, and likes to bring electricity into the bedroom. Match signals to singles (or attached and not getting enough) and you have a short list of dating prospects with a better than normal chance of getting laid.

Technically anyway. In reality, that would be unimaginably creepy.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

just read article to wife ...

... and explained how the passive reconnaissance is performed. She's still trying to get over the fact that you can dectect buttplugs with a "sniffer"

4. ma1010
    Happy

True story

"Having an adult toy unexpectedly start vibrating could cause a great deal of embarrassment in some situations."

Definitely true as I know one of the cops who was there.

A couple came home and heard thumping noises coming from inside their apartment where nobody should be. Wisely, they called the sheriff's department and reported an apparent burglary in progress. Deputies arrived and checked the apartment out, looking for a possible burglar. They located the source of the sound which was coming from a bedroom drawer containing a large dildo running on full vibrate.

One of the cops pointed out the source of the noise to the residents and told them "We found your burglar. We turned him off."

5. Nifty Silver badge

"personal area network technology", yup right there on line 3. That was deliberate, right?

6. Warm Braw

These toys can be located fairly accurately using triangulation

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm now trying to erase a very unsavoury mental image involving a Toblerone.

1. Truckle The Uncivil

Re: These toys can be located fairly accurately using triangulation

@Warm Braw

"Ribbed for your pleasure" ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Pen test

I did wonder why they don't simply incorporate a magnetic sensor (even a $0.09 reed switch) and have that be the mode switch etc as well as enabling charging in the base station.

Something like a set of beads where the main unit is the vibrator, and the smaller beads are the magnet and an additional smaller motor.

Also worth adding: flesh tuned LED so the unit can be strobed and/or be used as a position indicator.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Network security

Same Sh1t different day...

9. Hank Waggenburger III
  10. Stevie

Bah!

Arse!

11. Mark Solaris

I'd totally be up the that HR interview if some co-worker complained you were randomly triggering her sex toy during the work day.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like