back to article Patch alert! Easy-to-exploit flaw in Linux kernel rated 'high risk'

A flaw has been found in the way the Linux kernel loads ELF files. If a malicious program is built as a Position Independent Executable (PIE), the loader can be exploited to map part of that application's data segment over the memory area reserved for its stack. This can result in memory corruption and possible local privilege …

Page:

1. kryptylomese

Re: Dear fanboys of any OS

You totally missed the rest of the post i.e. "Other readers may start to understand why people care about the differences if they are identified and detailed!"

Can't you make your point without name calling "penguinista"?

Just about everybody that I know on a professional level uses Linux as their desktop - you are most likely a Windows gamer who is unaware that you can an awful lot of games on Linux too.

Linux is the most common operating system in the world where as Windows is:-

Windows phone LOL - no need to comment

Windows on super computers - has not been in the top 500 for many years now (it is all Linux)

Windows Servers - LOL - crap on resource use, non performant, expensive, proprietary - EOL

Windows 10 - Not bad for games as long as you don't mind MS slurping everything you do

1. wallaby

Re: Dear fanboys of any OS

Actually Ive never played a game on my PC since minesweeper in the early days - so in your jump to conclusion you missed and face planted. Ive been working with PC's since 82/83 and have worked with every version of MS products and half a dozen flavours or so of Linux both at work and at home.

My comment (as always) isn't about Linux. I actually like the OS and do use it both at home and work. My gripe is with SOME of the Linux community, I have never asked a question in a Linux forum without some Penguinista (and here's where I stick the moniker ) going off on one. My job is to make our systems work together, when I wanted to put a W95 VM on a Linux box the amount of abuse I got was amazing. When I ask questions that some consider beneath them they rant off rather than helping or ignoring. In addition to that, the likes of some on here (one in particular who shall remain nameless), every time Microsoft or Windows is mentioned in an article - regardless of whether Liunx is or not - all you get is M$, SLURP, MICRO-SHAFT or some other written diarrhoea - its soooooooooooo tedious.

Regardless of what others think - it will NOTbe taken seriously as a desktop replacement if someone in a small office somewhere asks a simple question and gets the likes of SOME in the Linux community answering them. Whilst Microsoft is far from perfect, on the whole if you ask a question about windows, you tend (once you have got past the "it must be a virus mob") to get what could constitute an answer. Most of the people I know in the business have some form or another Linux system hanging around somewhere. Most of those I have spoken to would not deploy in a professional environment especially those in a larger company, and indeed one government department I worked extensively for wouldn't even allow a Linux box to be connected to the network (and that ruling was made by someone who has been an ardent Linux user since it first came out).

The biggest bar to Linux in a professional environment is SOME of the Linux community (the Penguinistas). People choose Microsoft - they should just get over it and stop acting like a 4 year old.

Each has their place.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This has been known about for 2 years, it's just been reclassified.

1. Steve Graham

And, indeed, fixed in kernels more recent than two years. The issue applies to distros which have an older base kernel (for continuity/stability reasons, presumably).

2. Hans 1

Elf Binary ?

Boahhh, I have a level 50 Paladin on the watch, nothing to fear here ...

BTW, already patched ;-)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like