back to article Welcome to the future: Bluetooth jackets you can only wash 10 times. Gee, thanks, Google

Blue pants maker Levi's plans to begin selling its first cloth-ware with Google inside on Wednesday – and the tech should survive up to 10 washes. The $350 Levi's Commuter Trucker Jacket with Jacquard by Google has been designed to function as device controller through the incorporation of Project Jacquard, Google's connected …

Page:

1. Robert Grant

Re: you should never wash a pair of jeans

Levi’s CEO explains why you should never wash a pair of jeans.

"Because I sell jeans, and want you to buy new ones rather than maintain ones you already own."

Next up, BMW's CEO on why you should never use the clutch when you change gear.

1. herman

Well, maybe it will be good for an off the cuff presentation, but don't wear your heart on your sleeve ladies...

Thank you, I'll be all week...

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

Fun on the tube

You're going to be randomly skipping songs, tweeting random text, and ringing your ex girlfriend in no time at all as soon as you start rubbing up against every other bugger on the tube at Peak hour. Or do Hipsters not catch the tube these days?

3. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Network?

Which network fabric did they make the jacket out of?

4. spacecadet66

The interesting thing: we have here an item made by people with far more money and technical acumen than common sense, who don't have to worry about working hard enough to break a sweat, and who live in a place where it gets cool enough to wear a light jacket. If you didn't know Silicon Valley existed, you could now deduce its existence.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"With Jacquard technology, you can perform common digital tasks – like starting or stopping music, getting directions or reading incoming text messages – by simply swiping or tapping the jacket sleeve,"

Why does anyone need to be able to do this?

1. spacecadet66

It's not about "need," it's about "I had $350 to blow on this."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes. But. The odds of getting laid would increase exponentially if one paid 100$ for mandatory drinks and the rest, 250$ on the "takeaway services" offered by the club where one goes to get laid. The jacket just signals that 350$ of potential earnings were lost. Probably won't get past the bouncers.

6. Brian of Romsey
    WTF?

And just what does "The jacket is designed to withstand up to 10 washes ..." mean? Is it "this jacket might be able to withstand 10 washes, but after that it will fail" or "this will withstand at least 10 washes, maybe more"? Typically ambiguous statements like this will be used for hiding behind later.

7. Cynic_999

But ...

How is this any more convenient or easier to use than a £10 Bluetooth watch which can not only control various phone functions, but also display messages? On a hot day, a watch is more comfortable to wear than a jacket.

Not that I personally find it particularly arduous to take my phone from my pocket.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Project Jacquard

Back to punched cards.

9. Nimby
    Stop

Stop! (Hammer Time)

When the heck did it become socially acceptable again to wear jean jackets? (Especially by anyone not old enough to have been there.) That was one fashion faux pas (of many) that I didn't think was EVER coming back! Do they come with a free pair of stylin' Glasshole shutter shades? Oooh, what about parachute pants? (Not to be confused with Hammer pants....) It's no wonder a millennial won't wear a smartwatch. They must already have a giant clock suspended from a gold chain around their neck. Go get 'em Google and your spiffy jean jacket! I'm sure it's a brilliant idea with absolutely no obvious flaws.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Stop! (Hammer Time)

I think this is why you can only wash the jacket ten times, to stop it fading and making the owner look like a Status Quo fan.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like