back to article Hotter than the Sun: JET – Earth’s biggest fusion reactor, in Culham

I’m in a room that, in normal circumstances, is not fit for human habitation. It features a number of big red buttons surrounded by illuminated yellow rings – just in case. “Push button to switch off Jet. Press only in case of extreme emergency,” the signs read, informatively. This is the Torus Hall, a 40,000m3 space the size …

1. Lars Silver badge
          Mushroom

Re: Do not press

"JET's future was handed to the UK Govt on a plate and .......". Some more down votes than up votes including my down vote.

Could it be that AC is not aware of "JET, the Joint European Torus":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_European_Torus

Which makes the "the french to take .... under our noses" so damned silly.

Or could it be that AC is in the belief that tokamak is somehow a British invention.

Quoting the Wiki:

"Tokamaks were invented in the 1950s by Soviet physicists Igor Tamm and Andrei Sakharov, inspired by an original idea of Oleg Lavrentiev".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak

I wouldn't really mind about this topic but I did something I haven't done ever before months ago.

I spent about 12 hours during two days listening to the "lords" (not capital letters?). I was actually quite impressed by that house.

More for the EU than against it, some very good and decent speeches and people with good knowledge of trade and business. (Not the impression I have about May and her Don Quixotes.)

A very decent atmosphere with some guys at times in deep thoughts, not at all like that other house I have started to associate with the "whack-a-mole" game.

And then there was this question about Euratom and Brexit.

A topic a lord started with the "World Leading British Nuclear Technology" and an other who politely asked him to get serious and return to earth. Which he slightly reluctantly did.

The reason research like this tend to be international projects is not just the money but also the fact that the "brains" needed are not always born on an island. The results are better shared openly too and there is a better buffer against the politics of the day in one or an other country.

1. Hans 1
        Holmes

…must …not …step …away …from …European …Union. …Can’t …afford …to …do …this …on …our …own.

Crikey, did not know Japan was part of the European Union (yes, they are some more) ... but then again, smart fsck, what do we have in our UK ? Honda plants and the big NSA spy infrastructure that listens on all of us, that is about it ... thank Feynman the continentals are not aware that we betray everybody 'round here for the NSA, hey ?

TBH, I am surprised the EU did not kick us out earlier ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Push button to switch off Jet. Press only in case of extreme emergency"

As Terry Pratchett would point out, under normal conditions with a load of scientists and engineers a red button would get pushed in a few seconds. But as in this case it would prevent a potential massive destructive event rather than cause one, nobody's going to want to do it.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Didn't they used to have a flywheel?

To help regulate the power draw from the grid - or am I imagining it?

I'm not...

Wikipedia suggests:

JET's power requirements during the plasma pulse are around 500 MW with peak in excess of 1000 MW. Because power draw from the main grid is limited to 575 MW, two large flywheel generators were constructed to provide this necessary power. Each 775-ton flywheel can spin up to 225 rpm and store 3.75 GJ. Each flywheel uses 8.8 MW to spin up and can generate 400 MW (briefly).

1. Sammy Smalls

Re: Didn't they used to have a flywheel?

I remember being told about the flywheel at a school talk.

IIRC we were told it took a couple of days to get up to speed and if it ever came away from it's bearings it would go all the way to Reading, smash through the centre and keep going.

Not all bad then....

I recall them being described as the mass of a train (which looks a bit like an understatement actually) - but it looks like the time to spin up is 7 minutes, and to stop them takes 9.4 seconds... (ignoring operational losses)

That's pretty impressive, particularly when you think that the outside of the flywheel (and most of the mass) is travelling at 200+mph - probably not quite in the 'get to Reading and keep going' territory though (although if it was on rails....)

Operations are probably still scheduled around ad breaks in Coronation street though...

2. TWB

As someone born in Reading, upvote from me.

(it's not all bad....)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

The flywheel does not stop in Reading, but that has nothing to do with the speed it is going at... no one wants to stop in Reading!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I was a regular in Culham, Harwell and Aldermaston in the 1980s when I worked on the road for one of the suppliers of hardware. We also supplied CERN but I never got to go there back then (though I have since been).

3. Cynical Observer
      Thumb Up

@John...

Can't be the only one who thought - 1.21 Gigawatts!

400MW from each flywheel, 575MW from the Grid feed...

Yep, 1.21GW is rather easily possible - we could add a third flywheel of course, that might do quite a good job, surely we can make it do 410MW?!

1. DropBear
          Trollface

Flywheels, huh? Good to know the site is gyroscopically stabilized...

4. N2

Yes, I think they had two concrete flywheels run up to speed at 200 rpm by electric motor & suppelemnted about 600Mw from the Didcott to Cowley supergrid.

I visited some time around 1990 & very interesting it was too. Aparently they also had to let Dinorwig know otherwise it cut in on the dip.

1. Lord Kipper III

I was a graduate trainee at Didcot power station in the early 1990s and the control engineers desk had a special light marked JET Pulse that would flash when they spooled the machine up to warm the plant operators. Very impressive to see the impact the pulse had on the local system.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On an open day once, long ago, I got to go inside the flywheel enclosure. They'd done a run not many days before, and it was still roasting hot in there. This was before they'd started using tritium, so they'd opened up the pressure vessel so that you could see inside, and get quite close to it. Very impressive! I grew up near there, and remember the lights dimming whenever JET started up (or at least that's what we assumed it was!).

It's interesting to compare political priorities. Fusion may one day provide us with power, and if it works at any decent scale it will be the power source of choice for pretty much the rest of time. The geopolitical consequences will be immense (and mostly good, I hope). Energy supply underpins pretty much everything else. So given that, you'd think that it would be high up on the politicians priority list?

Nope. ITER is costing a few €billion. Compare that to saving the banks in 2007 / 2008. Gordon Brown when prime minister all on his own managed to spend £150billion in a single afternoon saving the banks, enough to pay for and accelerate the entire ITER project several times over.

I'm not suggesting that saving the banks was a bad idea (a debate for another day...), but the first hint that fusion actually works ought to liberate rather more enthusiasm, cash and effort. There's a lot that has been achieved by JET (it's ended up massively exceeding what they were planning on back in the 1970s), and I think it right that ITER is being seen more as an engineering project than a research project. Compared to saving the banks, you'd think it'd be worth putting a few more quid into ITER.

6. peteratjet

There are two flywheels, one to drive the Toroidal Coils that contain the plasma, one to drive the central solenoid that drives the plasma current (think of a tokamak as a giant sparkplug). It takes a couple of minutes to spin them up from 80rpm to the operating speed. However, there are also power amplifiers driving coils that control the plasma shape and position, and most of the energy going into the plasma while the actual science is happening comes from the additional heating systems, neutral particle beams and radio frequency heating, and these are all driven off the national grid.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: flywheel safety

Could the flywheels not be sited such that they are in a pit ?

2. fnusnu
    Mushroom

So still 20 years in the future...?

Has there ever been a time when fusion wasn't 20 years in the future?

1. Lloyd

Re: So still 20 years in the future...?

Yes, 100 years ago.

2. Robin 3

I'm pretty sure it was always 30 years in the future 20 years ago. It looks like we may be asymptotically approaching 0 years ...

1. Martin-R

I'm reliably assured it's 50... and has been pretty much since the site opened, just over 50 years ago!

3. Andy Tunnah

Amazing

I love things like this, absolutely blows my mind.

But hands down, my absolute favourite fact about this; even though this is the pinnacle of high-science, one day this'll be seen as humdrum. We'll be so advanced that harnessing the powers of a bloody STAR will be met with the same nonchalance as showing a teenager a gameboy today.

4. ukgnome

Great article on a thing that should totally hook the youth into science

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

"Great article on a thing that should totally hook the youth into science"

See Icon

5. hammarbtyp

Fun times....

I spent a fun 6 months there as a placement when I did physics. Great place and some of the brightest people I have ever worked with.

I was in the UK part, which had a definite heath robinson feel to it compared to the JET area. However the advantage was that we could try out and reconfigure ideas far easier. Basically the UK was a old ford . that you could take apart and re-purpose while JET was a rolls-royce, that was the ultimate in technology, but expensive to customise.

One situation that comes to mind was the mess when one of the capacitor banks that provided the high voltage exploded spraying the room with large amounts of castor oil, which was the electrolyte used

One thing that is not mentioned is the basic research had a huge number of spin-offs including magnets, cryogenics, power electronics, material physics. A lot of people who worked at Culham have gone off to create new products based on that science. Even if economic fusion is never achieved, the path followed has more than enough benefits to justify us following it.

The UK has benefited greatly from such EU projects. The scale means they are beyond the resources of even the richest national governments so require collaboration. That collaboration brings the other benefits of creating a fantastic melting pot of ideas and cultures. It would be a pity, nah, disaster if we flush that down the toilet of political short-termism and myopia.

In the end working at Culham made me realise that I was not cut out for high level physics, but it did give me an opportunity to play with multiple PDP-11(it was that era), and pushed me into software

1. frank ly

Re: Fun times....

"... castor oil, which was the electrolyte used"

It was a dielectric. Just saying.

2. itzman

I visited Culham in 1966.

Years before we joined the 'common market'

However did it get paid for?

1. Tom 7

We've had an economic revolution since then - there's no money left.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Black Helicopters

"We've had an economic revolution since then - there's no money left."

same as it ever was. politicians will make sure that their power is the only power that controls the economy, whenever they get a chance. If that means higher taxes and more spending, so be it. It empowers them.

2. hammarbtyp

@itzman

Jet was proposed by the Council of the European Community in 1970 and built in 1977. it was built at Culham which already housed at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy which was built in 1965. Basically the European facility was appended to an already existing research facility(also close to Harwell, Rutherford Appleton and Oxford).

Although some might contend that since the UK already had a fusion research it shows the ability to go it alone, in practice the scale of the UK research was never on the same level as the JET project and Culham probably would of withered without the injection of European capital at the time

6. lee harvey osmond

"The fission process turns two forms of hydrogen"

"The fission process"

typo or editing error ...

"turns two forms of hydrogen – deuterium (extractable from water) and tritium (produced with lithium) – into the inert gas helium – and neutrons"

yes

"which can generate power."

Explain please.

Is it the neutrons that can generate power, or the the helium too?

How is the power generated? This is not a fission installation where the primary cooling circuit extracts heat to sustain a thermal flux to boil water and drive a steam turbine.

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: "The fission process turns two forms of hydrogen"

> Is it the neutrons that can generate power, or the the helium too?

The neutrons pass out of the magnetic fields because they are neutral, and strike atoms in the lining of the torus. These then undergo radioactive funtimes and release heat that's used to generate electricity.

Well, that's my understanding of the technology, anyway. And it does mean that running a De/Tr test makes the interior of the torus radioactive, yes. It's one of the reasons the research is *expensive*.

1. cray74
        Happy

"undergo radioactive funtimes"

This seems to be my week to pick up new catchphrases. Between "radioactive funtimes" and the movie Patchwork's "Release the owl-cat!" I'm going to have a complete mad scientist vocabulary in no time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Try Simon Mayo's confession's.

"Darker than a Goths wardrobe" and you are complete.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Boffin

"The neutrons pass out of the magnetic fields because they are neutral, and strike atoms in the lining of the torus. These then undergo radioactive funtimes and release heat that's used to generate electricity."

nuclear reactions are fun in a lot of ways. but they still obey the laws of physics, like conservation of momentum.

When you add up the total momentum of the fission or fusion products, it will match what it was before the reaction. In the case of fission, the uranium is sitting still, so the split atom products will buzz off in opposite directions [this heats the fuel material]. You also get neutrons, and a LOT of gamma.

In the case of fusion, it's a bit different. the products fuse together to produce one "thing" plus a neutron. The velocity of the neutron may be very high compared to the original products, but it can't be TOO high, because [after all] you MUST conserve momentum.

So where does the energy end up? gamma. Gamma has no actual mass, and so its momentum is based on the "planck's constant stuff" and you can have more than one and they can all buzz off in different directions as long as TOTAL momentum is the same as it was when you started out. [in theory the neutron could go back the other way at extreme speed and the helium go in the same direction, and ALL of the energy could be in neutron + helium, with total momentum conserved, but this is much less likely than the ejection of gammas from the fused helium, which may actually NOT produce a neutron immediately].

And so, most of the energy is gamma. Trapping gamma is easy. You just need enough mass to slow ti down and heat up in the process.

Slowing down neutrons is a bit harder. you need something to 'scatter' it, something that weighs about as much as a neutron. like hydrogen. in water.

You could try to ABSORB neutrons, but that tends to deplete the material that does it. Boron 10 has a high affinity for absorbing neutrons. It becomes Boron 11 and then doesn't do squat for neutrons after that. boron is cheap, however, and might still be useful if you replace it often [or somehow just pump it through the system].

In any case, all of that energy becomes a) fusion products [He5, He4, Li5, etc.], b) neutrons [probably moving very very fast], and c) gamma radiation [most of it]

So you just need to collect the energy from the gamma. Easiest method: cooling system, using water. If the water blanket is thick enough, about 3 feet per "tenth thickness" as I recall, you'll get the energy from the neutrons as well. you just need to make sure the temperature is high enough so that you can boil water [direct boiling is possible, but probably a bad idea, because of neutron activation] and make steam and drive generator turbines with it.

2. MonkeyBob
      Mushroom

AFAIK from my A level days, each atom has a unified atomic mass that is slightly different from what would be expected from just adding up the number of protons and neutrons. Carbon 12 is used as the yard stick for measuring this and Hydrogen has a mass of approximatly 1.0078. If 12 Hydrogen atoms were combined there would be an excess of mass of 0.0936 which is turned into energy using E=MC^2. i.e. small mass change = HUGE energy, that's the easy part the tricky bit is controlling the fusion so you don't get all the energy at once, see icon -->

7. NotWorkAdmin

Brexit pushes Fusion Power back another 10 years

Which seems unnecessary. Fusion can do that by itself.

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Re: Brexit pushes Fusion Power back another 10 years

Which is incredibly restrained of it, especially given that it pushes national attitudes to racism back 60 years, and the economy back 40 years. I’d say Fusion is getting off remarkably lightly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Brexit pushes Fusion Power back another 10 years

Yes!

The attitudes to the British Race exposed in Europe by brexit are truly frightening!

8. amlendu kumar

Snake Oil

The perpetual snake oil.

To contain semiconducting magnets which are cooled to near absolute 0.

To extract any usable heat no way to sustain leak and keep reactor ongoing.

Its always 20 years to success or anything near that since last few decades.

Re: Snake Oil

"Its always 20 years to success or anything near that since last few decades."

Depends on your definition of success...

Have you seen the list of spinoff technologies developed?

2. HPCJohn

Ahem. Superconducting magnets.

3. hammarbtyp

"To contain semiconducting magnets which are cooled to near absolute 0."

Well 4K to be exact, and that is a huge difference between that and near absolute 0. This is quite easy to achieve (see CERN), and once obtained as long as well insulated very easy to maintain with minimum of energy expenditure

"To extract any usable heat no way to sustain leak and keep reactor ongoing."

Well, that's the challenge isn't it, but it is an engineering issue, not one of basics physics and solving the engineering is why ITER is being built. The only way we will know whether it is possible is to try. The alternative is to give up when things get hard. The reason we keep trying is the rewards for success are so huge

"Its always 20 years to success or anything near that since last few decades."

That ignores the amount of progress made in the last 20 years. Not only that but technology moves onwards. High temperature magnets, advanced computer control and modelling, improved material science provides capabilities that were only a pipe dream 20 years ago. That is why they have the confidence to move from experiment to full scale engineering demonstrator.

That is not to pretend of the challenges. This is the energy moonshot, but the potential rewards are so huge, it makes it worth trying.

1. Cuddles

"That ignores the amount of progress made in the last 20 years."

Indeed. With apologies to Asimov - 40 years ago people thought they were 20 years from fusion, and they were wrong; 20 years ago people thought they were 20 years away from fusion, and they were also wrong. But if you think they were both as wrong as each other, you're wronger than both of them put together.

We've made a huge amount of progress in understanding fusion (as well as the engineering, materials science and various other required disciplines) over the last 60 or so years. At every step along the way, at least some of the people involved have been over-optimistic about how close we were to actually having commercial fusion power. But the fact that they were wrong about the exact timescale doesn't mean that none of that progress happened. A prediction that it will happen 20 years from now is obviously much more accurate than the same prediction made 40 years ago, because we've used that time to solve all kinds of problems that no-one had even realised existed. There may well be more unforeseen problems that means it will again take longer than expected, but that can't change the fact that we're closer than we ever were before.

4. MonkeyBob
      Pint

To copy from JFK

"We Do These Things Not Because They Are Easy But Because They Are Hard"

Here's to the ones pushing at the boundaries -->

1. hammarbtyp

@MonkeyBob

In software the rule is

We do these things not because they are hard, but because we thought they were easy

9. HPCJohn

Muon catalysed fusion

I guess I could Google...

Does anyone know if there is significant effort going into muon catalysed fusion these days?

ps. Wildly off-topic, I was at CERN int he auditorium which Fleischmann gave the presentation on cold fusion. He wasnt rended limb from limb. However they did depend on measurements from very iffy (tosay the least) neutron detectors. There were experts in the room on neutron detection, who asked some very pointed questions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Muon catalysed fusion

@HPCJohn

Wot's google? I Binged it for you. I "read" it. I haven't got a clue what it's on about. Now I need more beer.

https://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/82078/muon-catalyzed-fusion

Cheers… Ishy

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Muon catalysed fusion

"Does anyone know if there is significant effort going into muon catalysed fusion these days?"

dunno - I'm too lazy to look.

I'm a fan of using resonance. Anybody researching THAT? In the nuclear physics world, 'resonance capture' applies to neutrons. At certain neutron energies, Uranium [and other materials] will capture a neutron but the Uranium will never fission from it. It may spit it back out again, later, or may just keep it. Or it might alpha decay into something else. Whatever. You lose the neutron and the uranium atom, and that's the point. The idea is to slow the neutron down to thermal energies in as short of a distance as possible in order to minimize the capture. On the other hand... breeder reactors with U238 in them would rely on this factoid, and the slowing down length is MUCH bigger which is why they moderate with carbon instead of water.

In any case - the concept of resonance is *REAL*. Therefore, has anyone discovered the connection between proton/deuteron/trition resonant energies and the probability of a fusion reaction?

'duck duck go' search brought up one scientific paper, along with some links to other unrelated things like fusion music, MRI scans, and so forth. Not very helpful...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like