back to article Attention adults working in the real world: Do not upgrade to iOS 11 if you use Outlook, Exchange

Apple's latest version of iOS, namely version 11, may struggle or flat-out fail to connect to Microsoft Office and Exchange mailboxes. That's a rather annoying pain for anyone working in a typical Windows-based work environment. The Cupertino idiot-tax operation admitted this week that iOS 11 contains a bug that potentially …

1. Adam 1

Re: Works here

Agreed. Seriously El Reg, they might ban you from WWDC if you aren't careful....

1. easytoby

Have found it smooth with no problems

Using a traditional on site exchange server v2016. All fine. No interruption. No probs after iOS 11

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> El Reg has already sounded the alarm about potential pitfalls in the update: it won't run any of your older 32-bit-only apps

Well done the Reg for alerting us to stuff that was announced several years ago. Clap. ... Clap.

Being snarky is one thing, being smug through disingenuity is another. Check yourselves.

3. Inspector71
    Happy

Nice Touch

Owner of Clarisworks.....love it.

1. WhatMeWorry?

Re: Nice Touch

Clarisworks. Good one!

2. Inspector71

Re: Nice Touch

Why the thumbs down? Did you prefer Appleworks instead?

4. Excused Boots Bronze badge

And I've been using iOS11 happily with and in-house Exchange 2016 server all the way back to developer beta 1 in June with no problems whatsoever so it must be some weird specific combination of factors bug.

Oh an as an aside, contrary to what the article says it's possible to disable Bluetooth and Wifi completely from the settings app - in fact the page which the article links to explains exactly how to do it at the bottom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple articles on El Reg tend to be less in the vein of journalism and more of a "five minute hate" thing. I mean, a little bit is funny, but this is full-blown Apple Derangement Syndrome.

1. FrankAlphaXII

You must be new here. About the only "vendor" they don't do that to when something half works is to the Linux kernel developers. And that's usually because the use case that gets affected is something on the far edges. They bitch about MS, Apple, Oracle, HP, etc. All the time.

In other words, the iJunk vendor isn't special for getting snark.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

iJunk? Dick.

5. ecarlseen

Works fine here as well.

Just tested with accounts on Exchange 2010 and 2016 servers - no drama whatsoever. I'm not saying that nobody is having problems, but to say that it's a universal issue is completely unfounded. My money is on some sort of misconfiguration on the phone or server side.

6. Andrew Hodgkinson

Full of nonsense as ever

The continued race to the bottom in El Reg persists, I see.

You of course can completely turn off Bluetooth / WiFi, in the Settings app. Control Centre does the rules-based "sleepy services" thing, which only supports the Apple proximity device detection features for stuff like Continuity or Airdrop. It'll probably solve more support queries than it generates, even if I personally don't think it's a good idea. And yes, airplane mode works normally.

But hey, thanks to warning us of the perils of the death of 32-bit advertised and warned about since 2014, a bug for some users (myself not included) with Exchange and a Control Centre oddity that most people won't even notice. For sure, iOS 11 truly is a catastrophe.

(Sent from the department of "why do I people come out with this rubbish"?)

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Full of nonsense as ever

Hey Andrew - it's Chris from Drobe. Remember those RISC OS days? Ah yeah. Now I'm at El Reg. Lol!?

Anyway. Thanks for reminding ppl about the extended iOS settings to actually switch off radio comms. We linked to Apple's instructions, so no foul there.

"The continued race to the bottom in El Reg persists"

The fact that we're the most read in the enterprise IT space, and that we're making year-upon-year growth in ad revenue and profit, suggests you're full of shit, Andrew.

C.

1. Andre Carneiro

Did you seriously just use ad revenue and profit as surrugate markers of journalism qualiy?

I think you may have just proven someone's point. Probably not yours.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Well, Chris, going by the vast majority of comments on this thread the article was widely regarded as a combination of old news, sensationalist muckraking and outright fallacy. As many above have indirectly pointed out - when in a hole, prudence suggests you should stop digging.

And I’m speaking honestly as a longtime Reg loyalist who has relied on you to understand what’s really going on in IT for going on seven years now.

3. whatevs...

Oh if we’re name calling (isn’t that against your own T&C’s) you’re an arrogant prick who is representative of a larger malaise within you’re organisation. The Sun and the Daily Mail are the most read rags in the UK, they’re still full of lying shites.

Dick.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: enterprise IT space

The ones that pays for DevOps seminars? :-)

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

we're making year-upon-year growth in ad revenue and profit,

Which, as I'm sure you recognise, are not an indicator of quality or journalistic ability.

1. James O'Shea

"we're making year-upon-year growth in ad revenue and profit,

Which, as I'm sure you recognise, are not an indicator of quality or journalistic ability."

The thing is, the very fact that he brought it up is a strong indicator that he does _not_ so recognise. Indeed, it is a marker indicating a quite different state of mind.

It is also a firm indicator that it might, just might, be a Very Bad Idea to even think about whitelisting El Reg on my adblocker. One wonders exactly how deep the ad cesspit goes at El Reg... but not enough to turn the adblocker off and find out.

7. Tim99 Silver badge
    Gimp

...they'll be locked out of their corporate Microsoft-powered email

So, installing iOS11 is a win-win then?

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Linux

And....what is more...

our chickens have stopped laying!!!

---> closest to a chicken

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds innovative

What is Microsoft?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Journalism is not about truth these days

It is all about clicks, ad views and the rest.

Sensationalist headlines get more of the above than good news.

Can you imagine this site (or any other for that matter) headlining a story.

"Apple IOS Upgrade Success!"

No you can't. It is all about negativity.

Once you understand that you can get on quite happily.

1. Naselus

Re: Journalism is not about truth these days

"Can you imagine this site (or any other for that matter) headlining a story.

"Apple IOS Upgrade Success!""

Yes, I can imagine several thousand Mac-centric sites saying exactly that, even if the update in question accidentally summoned Cthulu into the front room and made him eat your cat ("The new unwanted cat elimination feature promises to be a game changer").

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

They actually linked to Apple's support pages saying there was an issue. I clicked on that, as so many commentards said it was working fine for them. And Apple's blub was completely non-specific, giving no clue as to whether this was a blanket problem or just affecting one user. And giving no way to find out if it would hit you - and of course you can't roll-back Apple updates if it doesn't.

Perhaps Apple might have communicated better?

1. Andre Carneiro

Pretty sure you can roll-back updates.... for a while.

12. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

It is an Apple link that is the source of this article

ElReg is surely *reporting* what has been published?

Kudos to Apple for taking the cautious approach by admitting potential problems. Imagine what would happen if there was a problem which hadn't been highlighted.

High-5's all round then.

1. Naselus

Re: It is an Apple link that is the source of this article

"ElReg is surely *reporting* what has been published?"

Yup, that's largely how news works. Otherwise newspapers would basically just be long-form essays about what the journalists did over the weekend, tbh. Kind of like the Guardian is nowadays.

The fact it's on Apple's own website does kinda put the kybosh on the argument that this is just El Reg pouring negativity on the glorious Eighth Coming of the Jesus Phone, though.

13. andyheat

Working fine here with iOS 11 on iPhone and iPad with an Office 365 Exchange mailbox.

Only thing that isn’t working is push notifications for new emails.

14. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"Cupertino idiot-tax operation"

Said it before, will say it again. Grow the fuck up.

1. Gio Ciampa

"We voted out - deal with it"

Same pointless repetition...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Dafties

Using iOS for serious business purposes, you say? Oh, ma sides!

Re: Dafties

Your definition of serious business != other people’s definition.

16. 0laf

Nope no problem

Using the Outlook app here rather than the Apple Mail app and no issues at all

1. GlobalMind

Re: Nope no problem

Exactly. And still not sure what is so "crippled" in the Outlook app either. lol

17. ChrisBedford

Bit late now

I updated to 11 so long ago now I've forgotten when it was, so this warning is just so much wasted space and reading time...

18. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.
    Megaphone

Fake news

Could we have a new icon ? perhaps an image of Donald Trump to indicate Fake news.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

No problems here....

...but we're not stupid enough to upgrade straight away; let the idiots find the bugs.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bluetooth & WiFi

You *can* fully turn these off from the control panel as has always been the case. It is only if you use the dashboard to ‘disable’ (in effect disconnect devices) that they stay on in a hidden mode.

21. Dr Doofenburger

I updated yesterday, iPhone 6S. My corp 365 account is working just fine.

No problems at all, no glitches, so it certainly isnt affecting everyone.

22. Ardly

Works fine

Just updated this morning and no problems connecting to my Exchange mailbox.

23. katrinab Silver badge

Another works fine here

Windows 2008 R2, Exchange 2010.

It moans about my StartCom issued SSL certificate. I will get round to replacing it at some point.

24. Rhubarb

Working fine here

Upgraded a few days back and no issues on business Exchange

25. BernardL

I miss ClarisWorks.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to see here...

So some users are having issues connecting to Exchange after upgrading to a new OS. No big deal. It's not like Microsoft fucked up network connectivity in Windows 10 when it had worked perfectly in previous versions of Windows for over 20-years or so either.

Oh, hang on...

27. GrapeBunch
    Holmes

Marriage of true minds admits impediment

Mrs. Bunch uses Yahoo mail on her iPad. One of my e-mail accounts is the backup for that Yahoo account. A week or two ago, I started receiving messages from Yahoo, warning that as of September 20th, Yahoo mail messages could not be read on an iPad running iOS 8.0. I decided to take no action, because:

1. it wasn't clear to which Yahoo account they referred;

2. Mrs. Bunch's iPad had long been running iOS 9, not iOS 8;

3. they had not bothered to inform her; and

4. sufficient unto the day...

Came the day, and what I expected did not happen. Instead, all of Mrs. Bunch's Yahoo mail, excluding the Sent folder, disappeared, in front of her eyes. I confirmed this was real and not an iPad-artifact by logging into the account on a laptop. It turns out that if you have a Yahoo account, and your e-mail disappears, they have a standard interaction that no human need ever interfere with, to request the recovery of your e-mail. Whether this is reassuring (as in, good customer service) or scary (as in, your e-mail disappears from their software so often that they have to have a robocall to fix it), is up to the reader.

The Yahoo auto-responder said to check back in 8 hours. In the meantime, I tried to install the iOS 10.2.1 package which my dear wife had in Settings. iOS returned the message that it was unable to continue: verification was impossible as I was not connected to the internet. "What really happened", I think, was that Apple had withdrawn the plagued 10.2.1 update and was unable to verify the files for that reason. I erased the 10.2.1 update. It strikes me that proper procedure would have been for Apple itself to tag or erase an update which could never be used. Then I requested an update, which turned out to be iOS 11. There was never a choice to install any level other than 11. Installation went OK, and when it came time to verify the update package, of course the iPad was connected to the internet.

Back to Yahoo. After close to a day, the e-mail in the folders seemed to have returned. But not yet the Inbox. All it holds is the e-mails that came in after the disappearance. In the midst of my wife's trauma, I was entertained to see an article that told of iOS 11 and e-mail problems. This is our version. iOS version: impedimental.

28. Not That Andrew

Lotta butt hurt Apple fanbois in the comments here.

Nope - people are pissed at the article; not defending Apple. It's generally accepted that Apple's not covering itself in glory here.

Next time try to read & understand before kneejerking.

29. mlogicuk

not sure if this is for everyone - my phones 7 and 7+ with office 365 and exchange accounts all working.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like