back to article Itching to stuff iOS 11 on your iPhone? You may want to hold off for a bit

Apple's latest iOS version is out today – iOS 11 – but before you rush into updating, you'll want to check that it doesn't destroy any of your favorite apps. This version will insist on running only 64-bit apps and will kill support for 32-bit apps. That means several things: for one, if you have anything earlier than an …

Page:

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Questionable advice

It's not an update, it's an upgrade. The security fixes should be available for the previous version as well.

1. Chris 3

Certainly worth it if you are on iPad

I've been running the beta in on a 2017 standard iPad and all the split screen and multitasking stuff is really good.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"if you have anything earlier than an iPhone 5S in your pocket, you will not get the update at all (and your phone is going to slowly die)"

In other words, a 2012 iPhone 5 is in the same support position as a 2016 Motorola G4, or a pre-2015 Nexus.

"Oh, but Android is sooooo much cheeeeeaper..."

3. theniginator

Been public beta testing it for months and it has been fine. This addition to their testing regime I think has resulted in a much better release candidate. And yes backup beforehand you fools.

1. HCV

"And yes backup beforehand you fools."

Thank you, Gandalf. Mind the landing.

4. Justin Clift

Ugh

Ugh, Civilisation Revolution (iPad version) is 32-bit only. Doubt it'll get updated, so looks like this iPad Pro is going to be stuck on iOS 10 forever. :(

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Ugh

It made me smile that after updating all my apps, Apple's "iTunes U" still appeared on the list of apps to be trashed. Fortunately, there is a 64-bit version in the App Store which solved that problem.

2. Jay 2

Whilst checking though what apps are going to potentially stop working I noted that all my 2K games (CivRev, Pirates, Ace Patrol, AP: Pacific Skies) are in the list. Also annoyingly I found that EA dropped Flight Control some time back.

I guess as they've both already got my money, they don't care...

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

And there has never been a version of Civilisation released for Android. The closest I've come is to install a Nintendo DS emulator on my Nexus and try to play that version of Civ... but playing a game written for a two-screen device on a phone isn't fun.

5. Chad H.

>>> It is very, very likely that lots of developers either don't know this is coming or need their users to make a fuss in order to shift management into allocating funds for an update.

Its not exactly been a secret, especially given new 32 bit apps haven't been accepted for some time....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Its not exactly been a secret, especially given new 32 bit apps haven't been accepted for some time....

You've not been able to update an existing app since January 2015 without including a 64-bit binary either. If dev hasn't touched in in that long you can safely assume it's abandoned....

6. joed

Not as bad as changes forced by MS onto Windows users

but maybe only because no iPhone users had ever got used to any level of freedom. My upgrade plans all but evaporated yesterday night when Apple decided to show middle finger to its users in iTunes 12.7. I can accept buggy software but removing "transfer purchases" was one bridge too far. The only option that let me move mp3 files out of the "walled garden" of the iPhone (podcasts, no illicit activity here) gone without much of warning. FTS. Some time later I was back to iTunes 12.6.2 and my phone has tvos profile installed to keep me from upgrade nags and protect the limited storage space (no updates available as of last check few minutes ago). I plan to keep this status quo as long as possible, especially that none of updates are of particular value to me (including the nanny state mode when carplay is active).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not as bad as changes forced by MS onto Windows users

There's other ways of syncing MP3s on iOS and across decives without handing them over to the walled garden. You might also want to use independent music purchase and streaming services such as Spotify.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone 5s - v10.3.3 here

Going to: Settings > General > About > Applications just shows a number next to Apps.

Nothing else. No idea what might die.

Methinks I shall not bother.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPhone 5s - v10.3.3 here

French Soldier: You don't frighten us with your silly knees-bent running around advancing behavior!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

That means that you don't have any 32-bit apps. You are in the clear.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nobody expects the null return!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That means you have no 32bit apps

8. Rainer

FlightControl

Oh, the very first game I ever downloaded on an iPhone.

Then I downloaded/bought another one.

And that was it.

I certainly don't contribute too much to the "Services" part of their business.

The subscription to WeatherPro ist sometimes the only thing in a year.

1. Jay 2

Re: FlightControl

It would appear that EA (who now hold the rights to Flight Control) dropped it a few years back as they couldn't be bothered to support it any longer. They've already got your money, why do they care?

Annoying as it was also one of the first games I purchased too.

9. wolfetone Silver badge

2FA

Thank you Reg for pointing out the 2FA issue if you don't use a keychain. I tried to set mine up yesterday and got stuck when it kept talking about the keychain. I thought I just forgot the pin code to the keychain even though I swore I never used it.

10. John Riddoch

To be fair to Apple

"Apple always screws up the first iteration" - never use a .0 release of anything is a common mantra in computing, that's not limited to Apple. Of course the new code is going to have bugs and the .1 release will fix most of them (and introduce some new ones, no doubt...). In general, wait a couple of days for the early adopters to find the issues, figure out what they are and figure out if the new features are worth the hassle of the new issues.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Steve the Cynic

"You can force your phone to require a PIN to unlock rather than a fingerprint"

I don't understand this comment in the article. My phone uses a PIN to unlock rather than a fingerprint. I have an iPhone 7 on iOS 10.3.3. I have *never* used a fingerprint. OK, my first iPhone was a 4,(1) but I went from that to a 5S and from that to a 7, and never turned on fingerprints, and so I use a PIN to unlock.

(1) This may be why, of course, since I've managed to migrate the settings every time I upgraded EITHER the phone OR the OS.

And I checked my list of not-64-bit apps. Nothing I'll miss. I'd say that pretty much all of them were last launched a couple of years ago, if not longer. That sort of "I won't miss it". So when the phone decides to let me know about the OS upgrade, I'll pick a time to do it, but not until then.

1. Brangdon

Re: "You can force your phone to require a PIN to unlock rather than a fingerprint"

There's a new feature where-by if it is set up to use a fingerprint or facial scan, you can force a PIN by tapping 5 times. Hopefully the police will politely wait for you to get your phone out and do that.

1. Rob D.

Re: "You can force your phone to require a PIN to unlock rather than a fingerprint"

PIN-only is preferred by some because it is a private code (mostly!). The police aren't waiting for PINs - they are waiting for a fingerprint or a face they can use. If they can obtain your PIN by legal means, they can definitely obtain your fingerprint or face.

If the means to fool the facial recognition or fingerprint recognition is established, then you cannot keep your face and fingerprints secret. An issue for US border entry is whether you can be forced to put your finger on the device (or face in front) for a border search; you cannot be directly coerced to reveal a PIN.

Top travel tip: Depending on your jurisdiction and level of co-operation, you may need to reset your facial recognition after the police interviews.

1. fidodogbreath

PIN-only is preferred by some because it is a private code (mostly!).

Fun factoid. There's a 1 in 50,000 chance that a random person's fingerprint will unlock an iPhone with Touch ID; the slop factor for face ID is supposedly 1 in 1,000,000 (source). I don't know what the reliability stats are for Android fingerprint unlock, but I imagine it's not much different since they all work by scanning partial prints.

There are numerous documented exploits where fingerprint unlock can be fooled by manipulating a lifted print, or even from a photo of a hand. Lest you get comfy about the 3D scanning of Face ID, there are apps that can generate a 3D face mask from a 2D photo.

Point is, the current generation of "biometric security" on mobile devices is a convenience feature -- somewhere between a 4-digit PIN and pattern unlock. A 6-digit PIN or a password are far more secure.

13. Nameless Faceless Computer User

and... welcome to Apple's un-paid beta testing program. It's way cheaper than hiring people to test their software because there are millions of rubes who will do that for them.

1. Naselus

In fairness to Apple, which major software vendor doesn't work like that now? And, come to think of it, was there ever a time when they didn't?

2. D@v3

beta testing

iOS11 has been in public beta for weeks, if not months.

14. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

First calls

First call about os11 update this morning "I can't access my CCTV anymore" - maker hasn't updated the app, and has no plans too (their way to handle the switch to 64bit only apps was to pull all their old apps from the apple store completely...)

15. ukgnome

The install went well

Just a few apps that need to update the screen overlay as the alignment with battery and mobile signal is a little out. It makes a mess of the top line.

16. Anonymous Cowerd
    Flame

contact the apps developer?

Tried that through the app store, but they've removed the 32-bit apps and thus the ability to contact the developer.

I won't be "upgrading", but I will be getting a different phone when my iPhone 6 eventually dies.

1. fidodogbreath

Re: contact the apps developer?

Tried that through the app store, but they've removed the 32-bit apps and thus the ability to contact the developer.

Some of the old timers around here tell whispered tales of something called a "search engine..." It's some kind of magical machine in the clouds: you type in something like the name of a product, and it searches all the world's knowledge for you.

Personally, I think it's just a legend.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what's changed in the Ts&Cs?

I must admit I clicked straight through - I do think there should be a law on clear language (not legal) on these documents and summarised in 1 - 2 pages.

18. dubno

Office365/Outlook.com broken in Mail app

It would appear that long-suffering users of O365 and Outlook.com will also be unable to send emails using the default Mail app

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043473/you-can-t-send-or-reply-from-outlook-com-office-365-or-exchange-2016-i

Does anyone testing anything anymore? (obviously not it would appear!)

19. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I've been using the beta of ios 11 on my phone for weeks, and on my ipad for a week, and have had absolutely no issues with the betas. Lasst night, I updated my wife's iphone and ipad from ios 10 to 11 and of course it went extremely smoothly, to the point where I didn't need to think about it.

The update downloaded quickly too, so no problem with their servers being overloaded.

All in all, I wish people would stop whingeing about these things. Apple's updates might not always be perfect but compared to Microsoft (they abandon products and their updates are unreliable beyond belief) and Google (Android updates are 6-9 months late - if you get them at all!), the Apple update process is smooth as silk.

20. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

been getting warnings for months

"The developer of this app needs to update the app, it will not run on the next release of iOS." As I always to see what the kool-aid does to others, I'll wait a while, check my fav apps for 64bit goodness and then maybe I'll pull the trigger on updating.

21. psychonaut

wifi

wifi has stopped connecting on 2 phones belonging to one customer today after the update ...be careful out there....

1. Naselus

Re: wifi

Completely screwing up wifi connectivity with a software upgrade was practically a tradition until about 2014. Hell, this happening again is probably considered the return of a beloved feature.

22. Joe Gurman

Sorry

But if apps haven't responded to repeated warnings in over three years, they're not "good" or "important." They're unsupported.

Whether for lack of continuing interest on the coder's part, or lack of a revenue stream, they're unsupported. At some point, the OS vendor has to say they're not particularly good or important to its App Store.

Don't know about Android, but anyone using iOS apps who eve looks at App Store updates realizes that most supported apps are updated weekly or at least monthly for big fixes, &c. That probably means the ones with decent revenue streams.

23. silks

iPad & iPhone Upgraded OK

Upgraded two iPads to iOS 11 on release day, no problems. One account (iPad Pro, mine) used 2FA, the other (iPad Air toddler's) no 2FA, both upgraded no problems.

Day 2, upgraded iPhone 7 (2FA enabled account), no problems seen so far :)

24. silks

iOS 11 Features

There's maybe more benefit here for the iPad (dock), but Files app handy for both iPad and iPhone :)

25. jonnycando

Hmmm....I installed it on my 6S Plus...and everything went swimmingly. I got lots of memory though so it wasn't crammed trying to get it on there.

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. D@v3

"like a great conversion app"

Would that be MultiConvert by any chance? I am going to miss that.

I don't use it that often, but it has soooo many conversions to offer. I can understand why it hasn't been updated in so long, afterall, what do you change in something that offers factual conversions? maybe add some more categories, but it is already pretty exhaustive. I hope the developer does 'update'' it.

28. Roland6 Silver badge

Control Center...

Updated an iPad - without problem.

The most noticeable change has been to the Control Center, where to get the volume/brightness etc controls to display now required a double up swipe rather than the single one previously. Also the volume and brightness controls themselves aren't obviously slide controls, even though that is what they are.

Beyond that, the changes don't seem so pronounced.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like