back to article Facebook let advertisers target 'Jew-haters'

Facebook has blamed its users for the fact that advertisers on The Social Network™ could target their ads to “Jew-haters” and other anti-Semitic terms. The nasty ad targeting was uncovered by ProPublica, a “nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force.” The publication's journos experimented with …

Page:

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: "Facebook's moral compass is often strangely-aligned"

Zuckerberg's compass always points to moNey

I'm getting very worried about suggestions he's going to run for President. And we think Drumpf is dangerous!

1. phuzz Silver badge
    Joke

To be fair, elReg has it's own targeted advertising, except the categories are more like:

"java hater"

"how to burn Windows boxen"

"History of 'why flash ruins the world'"

2. Gruezi

Move along. There is no story here.

I fail to see how this is even a story?

Before I explain, let me say first. All hate, of race, religion, colour or creed is wrong wrong wrong!

But this story isn't really about this.

Facebook allows you to put any free text in your job title. Some idiots put Jew Hater in there. Okay, so maybe we can blame facebook for not banning people from entering that term. But its a strange arms race to police free text fields. We may soon get outraged stories about a Speech Therapist who was banned form facebook because the job title contained the word "rapist".

The second thing that happened was that you can create an ad that targets people with a certain job title. So they put in the word Jew Hater as a job title and got some hits. Okay. The story is maybe that some idiotic haters publish their hate on facebook under the entry Job Title.

Or is the story that facebook should have had better mechanisms in place to filter out people trying to target ads that contain blacklisted words? Yes they probably should. And when they find out about it they try to fix it.

But turning this into a racism story is absurd. How's about we do an outraged article about facebook allowing us to advertise DIY brewing kits to people who have identified themselves as "recovering alcoholics", because I bet that would be possible too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Move along. There is no story here.

Good call, Gruezi.

Facebook is a business, it sells targeted advertising. How somebody chooses to identify themselves is up to them, and if advertisers choose to target that niche, then let them.

The wild running round by much of the press, and wider moral panic over racism is just posturing stupidity. Some people hold those opinions, often regardless of what others may think. If they've told Facebook that, and its a hook to flog them stuff, why not? I don't see that endorses those opinions, any more than targeting any particular part of the political spectrum would (even indirectly, such as using socio-economic indicators that often correlate with voting patterns).

3. davenewman

It was just an example

They could have picked any group that people hate. But having found one that targeted thousands of people they used that as an example, set up a small targeted Facebook post and wrote about it.

A thorough research project would have compared the number of people who self-identify as haters of someone. But to prove there is a problem with Facebook, you just need one example.

So the only reason to object to the choice of example is when the objector also hates that group.

As for search terms in Facebook employer fields, take a look at the number of people who type search queries in to the Google Android App Facebook page. There is even a video singing about those search terms.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It was just an example

They could have picked any group that people hate

Maybe. But I suspect the influence of a certain terrorist state. You know, the one that was busy murdering nurses in 1948 to cement its theft of another people's country, and has disregarded most international law ever since.

4. goldcd

WTF - "Facebook lets advertisers target people based on how they identify"

And some facebook users, identify themselves with these terms.

Bemused as to how this is facebook's fault.

5. silver darling

Already used for political ends, no?

Didnt Brexit and US presidential elections show how FB was used to target voters' racism -

"Facebook was the key to the entire campaign, Wigmore (Andy Wigmore, Leave.EU’s communications director) explained. A Facebook ‘like’, he said, was their most “potent weapon”. “Because using artificial intelligence, as we did, tells you all sorts of things about that individual and how to convince them with what sort of advert. And you knew there would also be other people in their network who liked what they liked, so you could spread. And then you follow them. The computer never stops learning and it never stops monitoring.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/robert-mercer-breitbart-war-on-media-steve-bannon-donald-trump-nigel-farage

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

Merely targeting keywords in user profiles is simple, the articles above suggest more sophisticated targeting. Facebook are themselves busy spinning their 'AI' capabilities to all kinds of clients.

6. John Gamble
    Facepalm

To See Oursels as Ithers See Us

Not surprised that the usual conspiracy theorists here are defending a tool to aid crackpots (by definition, a racist is a crackpot) find other like-minded folk with murderous tendencies (although interestingly the guy who has actually used neo-nazi catchphrases hasn't posted).

But I'm shocked, shocked at the similarities of their comments to The Onion's post today.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might it've been 'Dew Haters'?

I don't know about you, but I get flipping livid when my trouser bottoms get soaked when walking though long grass early in the morning.

8. Stevie

Bah!

All that development money and not a spare dollar for a RegEx?

^S[Aa][Dd]\.$

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like