back to article 'Don't Google Google, Googling Google is wrong', says Google

If you want to write developer documentation like a Google hotshot, you'd better kill “kill”, junk “jank” and unlearn “learnings”. Those are just a few rules from the company's newly open-sourced (oops, two sins there, verbing and hyphenation) developer documentation guide. Even though any Linux user knows “kill” is a command …

Page:

1. art guerrilla

Re: September 13, 2017

nope, stop thinking like a machine and start demanding to be treated as a human bean... why WE human beans have to learn/bend to a machine-friendly version of the date is what is wrong with society in a nutshell...

the only unambiguous, HUMAN-FRIENDLY date format is wed13sep2017, all the rest is giving up your humanity for the convenience of machines...

2. acid andy
      Stop

As long as you read it as "September THE 13th, 2017", it sounds OK in the UK to my ear. As someone else said, it's a good US / UK compromise.

1. Uffish

It's six potatoes versus half a dozen tomatoes but my computer pops up a short, unambiguous "Wednesday 13 September 2017" which I read as "Wenzday the 13th of September 2000 and 17".

Given that my computer is in France, with local time (French ) correctly displayed and with the date written in English, the decimal point being a full stop not a comma, and monetary symbol being whatever I want - I am very content, and quite amazed at the common sense of the various programmers involved.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

What about "leverage" as a verb?

One rather hopes Google has stamped on that

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about "leverage" as a verb?

They are American so they would stomp on it. Stamping it might be seen to be giving it a seal of approval.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh yes, I was waiting for this to happen. Someone let the pedants loose (OK, I should have said "lose" to rile them a bit more).

I'll just get a coffee and watch it develop. Yes, that could be a contextual pun :)

1. Teiwaz

Oh yes, I was waiting for this to happen. Someone let the pedants loose (OK, I should have said "lose" to rile them a bit more).

You must be new here. This is El Reg, the pedant Safari Park. Keep your windows closed (or preferably shut down). Stray from the path and they'll devour you in packs.

1. Alistair
            Coat

"Stray from the path and they'll devour you in packs."

No, no, no, not packs. We prefer our victims in sammiches or sarnies!

1. David 132 Silver badge
              Trollface

We prefer our victims in sammiches or sarnies!

Just remember that it's only a sandwich if you slice it diagonally from corner-to-corner into triangles. If sliced straight across edge-to-edge into two rectangles, it's a butty.

And having poured my own tuppence worth of accelerant onto the flames, I shall retreat to a safe distance and watch :)

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Just remember that it's only a sandwich if you slice it diagonally from corner-to-corner into triangles."

That should put a stop to many of these newfangled composite "sandwich" constructions.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the pedants of El Reg!

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

They could "table" it instead...

1. Spanners Silver badge
          Go

I suggest we Dog Ear that for now.

2. fidodogbreath

Ditto for "architect" as a verb. That usage needs to die in a fire.

2. Pomgolian
    FAIL

Because It's Not Google

I can't help thinking they're kind of missing the point: To be so synonymous with something that your name becomes a verb is surely evidence of significant if not total market penetration.

I always chortle every time I catch one of those tortuous scenes in the remake of Hawai'i 5 0 - the ones where they're trying to convince you to "bing" things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ug8jrja7M

Guess Micro$oft will be ready to hoover up the honours.

1. nagyeger

Re: Because It's Not Google

Yes, but they don't want to become /so/ synonymous that the verb becomes leached of meaning. e,g. "Should I hoover that up with the dyson or the electrolux?",

"Did you google with yahoo or altavista back then?"

1. Nick Kew

"Did you google with yahoo or altavista back then?"

I seem to recollect googling with infoseek before altavista existed.

No, wait, googling didn't exist back then. The nearest was probably giggling.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I seem to recollect googling with infoseek before altavista existed.

No, wait, googling didn't exist back then. The nearest was probably giggling.

In earlier days it was a different thing that started with a "g": gopher.

1. jake Silver badge

But gopher isn't the search engine any more than the WWW is a search engine. In gopher-space, Veronica is the search engine, with a little help from jughead and/or jugtail..

Wide Area Information Search (WAIS) is arguably more useful than gopher+veronica& the jugs, and indeed is often used as a supplement to them. Note that's current tense.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"To be so synonymous with something that your name becomes a verb is surely evidence of significant if not total market penetration."

Such use can be a slippery slope to losing your official trademark recognition. Previous examples are: hoover, aspirin; petrol.

1. Olivier2553

"Such use can be a slippery slope to losing your official trademark recognition. Previous examples are: hoover, aspirin; petrol."

It would only show that if they had the edge at some point, they loose it.

If they continue to be at the top, one will always google with Google.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, it's so.... odd on TV shows when people use Bing or Windows phones.

It's like an alternate reality show.

A bit like in the novel Making History where the funny little pictures on your PC screen are call "glyphs"

1. Updraft102

"A bit like in the novel Making History where the funny little pictures on your PC screen are call "glyphs""

If they are pictures on an otherwise flat background, like on a Windows desktop, they're icons, but if they are meant to be part of a predefined UI button or other UI element, they're referred to as glyphs.

5. staggers

And you wouldn't believe how hard Hoover tried to stop being used as the name for all vacuum cleaners, since most of the cleaners sold are not Hoovers at all.

6. It wasnt me

By your own argument surely your last sentence should by now be "Guess Micro$oft will be ready to dyson up the honours."

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

question1 = "Do Hoover even still make Hoovers? whats the market share now?"

question2 = replace (question1 ,"Hoover" , "JCB")

1. MJI Silver badge

No Hoover make toasters

And yes for ages I wondered why people put their carpets in toasters.

7. MJI Silver badge

Beinfg old enough to use internet pre Google, I search for stuff, using a search engine.

Which search engine depends on annoyingness or lack of

3. jake Silver badge

"If you want to write developer documentation like a Google hotshot"

Thank you for asking, but no, I really don't.

The world has enough style guides, it doesn't need another one.

4. Andy 73 Silver badge

Surely....

A true developer just releases the source code and users infer the documentation from that? Remember also that comments in source code are a sure sign your code is not expressive enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely....

"Remember also that comments in source code are a sure sign your code is not expressive enough"

Five or 10 minutes spent with this should convince you that is bollocks:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ecda85e70277ef24e44a1f6bc00243cebd19f985

Yes, I know you are taking the piss, have a UV 8)

1. Alistair
        Coat

dear god.

the whole cpuid bit sounds like something I'd write in my scripts......

Thanks for a morning chuckle.

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Coat

the whole cpuid bit sounds like something I'd write in my scripts...

Let me guess... the tale of how Cpuid fires arrows at lovers who don't use autocorrect?

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Those comments are an education. We learn about Intel CPU architecture. And have a little fun.

2. nijam Silver badge

> comments in source code are a sure sign your code is not expressive enough

The best you can hope for with comments in source code is that they don't contradict the source code...

1. Stork Silver badge

> The best you can hope for with comments in source code is that they don't contradict the source code...

I remember one case where it surely did not, it said "abominable hack" and it was!

1. Swarthy

Sorry.

2. Nick Kew

I remember one case where it surely did not, it said "abominable hack" and it was!

Don't think that's me, but if the adjective had been, say, "ugly" or "hideous" I could be a candidate. Though I'd probably accompany it with some more suggestion: why it's necessary, how it might be improved when I or anyone have time.

1. Stork Silver badge

There was more explanation - AFAIR along the lines "I don't know exactly how the original code works, but this sorts it." It was really awful, the original.

2. Tannin

The worst sort of comment is the dreaded "I have no idea how this works". And yes, one or two of my own beautifully coded little darlings bear this mark of shame. I think it happens late at night after many hours of frustration and trying bad ideas because you have run out of good ones. Then you go to bed and forget about it. Some days or weeks later, you look at the code and .... and you have no idea how it works. You know perfectly well that you should re-write it, but after all it does work, and it took hours to write and ... and .... and .... and ...

# I have no idea how this works

1. illiad

#put plenty of

# wordy comments in!!! :)

2. Grooke

"When I wrote this code, only God and I understood it. Now... only God knows."

2. Nick Kew

The best you can hope for with comments in source code is that they don't contradict the source code...

On the contrary. When they contradict the source code, they offer valuable clues as to how the code has evolved, and useful hooks for searching the change control archives.

Or into the thought processes of the developer, if they are contemporaneous.

5. Elmer Phud

That'll confuse users

So many people say their browser is 'Google' as they have never changed the homepage.

For them, going to Google to then go to Google search is how they run.

It's al Google to them.

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: That'll confuse users

"Don't Google Google."

The first rule of Google is "You do not talk about Google"

The second rule of Google is "You do not talk about Google"

etc

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Stop

I thought if you googled Google it would break the internet...

1. russsh

No, that's only if Google googles Google.

1. VinceH
            Coat

"No, that's only if Google googles Google."

But what happens if Google googles Google Doodles?

2. Robin

The first rule of Robot Club is "You do not talk about Robot Club"

The second rule of Robot Club is "You DO NOT talk about Robot Club"

Oh no sorry, the second rule is "No smoking"

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like