back to article Apple’s facial recognition: Well, it is more secure for the, er, sleeping user

Security watchers have given Apple’s introduction of facial recognition technology a cautious welcome. The newly unveiled iPhone X smartphone débuts an advanced facial recognition technology, called Face ID, which relies on Apple’s TrueDepth camera system. The technology features seven sensors and machine learning algorithms …

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I was with you until said Theresa May is the greatest leader...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's called....

Wait for it...

Just give me second....

"Sarcasm"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're a Muppet.

1. Cynical Observer
  2. fLaMePrOoF

The lidar technology in many newer cars would be capable of 'stealing' a person's 3 dimensional facial data without even needing close proximity or line of sight. Fingerprints, voice and iris patterns are bad enough but facial data is literally the easiest to compromise...

With the type of high end high resolution lidar being utilised by large companies and governments for 3D area mapping the facial data of large crowds could be captured in minutes or seconds...

And even without lidar it is possible to extrapolate 3D data from multiple images of a person's face, particularly with a dual camera setup.

It seems the only people not vulnerable would be Muslim women, bikers, and teens wearing hoodies...

What might an individual hacker need to compromise this new unlock feature?

1 A lidar scanner (becoming surprisingly common place, and with enough images of the target this might not even be needed)

2 A picture of the target, or preferably 2 or 3 from slightly different angles, to map onto the 3D construct of their face, not difficult at all these days... (and this won't even be necessary if the facial detection is based on geometric data only)

3 A 3D printer

1. hammarbtyp

A 3D printer

Ahhh, that old pick line

Is that a 3D representation of my face which you are going to use to hack my phone in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me...

1. Charles 9

Re: A 3D printer

Easy to conceal if you fashion a MASK with the data. If anyone asks, just say it's for Halloween or a performance.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: A 3D printer

You would have to create your 3D print before iOS disables Biometric Unlock - which it does after a period of time or after a power cycle.

I have seen such 3D face printers, but only in a Mission Impossible movie.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"With the type of high end high resolution lidar being utilised by large companies and governments for 3D area mapping the facial data of large crowds could be captured in minutes or seconds..."

I wonder if they could do my cataracts at the same time?

3. Jeffrey Nonken

One of Larry Niven's stories had a security system that scanned the skull.

4. eldakka

It seems the only people not vulnerable would be Muslim women, bikers, and teens wearing hoodies...

What about a hoodie-wearing teenage Muslim woman biker?

3. Tigra 07
    Black Helicopters

First no Windows 9, now no Iphone 9

Has the tech industry erased a number without telling us or is Apple copying others as usual?

1. SkippyBing

I believe they're worried about low sales in German speaking countries.

That or they've been reading XKCD's Thing Explainer which goes to great lengths to avoid the number 9 as it isn't one of the 1000 most used words in English. Unless I'm confusing cause and effect...

1. Lee D Silver badge

I thought it was something to do with the Japanese for nine? Though "nein" also has negative implications, if you used the digit it would actually just be pronounced "Windows Neun" by any German speaker.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The Japanese don't like the number 4, so it's often missing in product ranges. (Eg. Lumux LX 3 > LX 5, Canon 5D, 3D etc)

Quadrophobia

2. Tigra 07
          Meh

How can a number have negative implications? Nein isn't only associated with Hitler to modern Germans is it?

Understandable numbers to avoid in business that I can think of are: 69 and 666. Chrome and Firefox aren't far off reaching versions 69 so we'll see what happens then =P

There's probably a good joke about Internet Explorer 69 and being fucked by malware in here somewhere...

1. eldakka
            Coat

Understandable numbers to avoid in business that I can think of are: 69 and 666.

If someone has 69 up or downvotes on a comment, I never vote either way because I'm not going to be the one responsible for preventing anyone from having a 69.

3. DaLo

"...it would actually just be pronounced "Windows Neun" by any German speaker."

Yeah, I can see why that would really annoy Apple.

4. eldakka

f you used the digit it would actually just be pronounced "Windows Neun" by any German speaker.

Wouldn't it be "Fenster neun"?

It seems incongruous to translate one part but not the other.

2. Shell

I thought it was the X because it's the tenth-anniversary phone? (bet they don't release a 9 though).

2. Tigra 07
      Thumb Up

Google isn't scared of the number 9.

Proud owner of a Nexus Nein here.

3. Robert Sneddon

Accidental downgrade

The worry was that if a user held an iPhone 9 upside-down they'd automatically get downgraded to an iPhone 6.

"You're holding it wrong!"

4. The Jon

Could you now unlock $celebrity's phone by taking a trip to Madame Tussauds?

Further, I wonder if pointing this persons phone at this artefact would magically unlock it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, Apple stated they had worked with film studios effects department to trick FaceID. MT aren’t as good as FX people.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Liveness check ? Circa 2013 on Android ...

I had an Android tablet in 2013 which had Googles face-unlock feature.

Even it had a liveness check you could enable (which required the presented image to blink).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Liveness check ? Circa 2013 on Android ...

"I had an Android tablet in 2013 which had Googles face-unlock feature."

As does my compnay issued Galaxy S2, but it's disabled as part of the enforced security policy implemented when connecting up to the company Exchange server. Only a PIN or password is allowed (and mandatory)

2. Adrian 4

There are subtle colour changes in the skin as a result of pulse - these are reliable enough to use for pulse measurement. Make sure you simulate that in your codebreaking photo.

1. David Roberts

Skin colour changes?

So it may not work if you have sunburn?

1. Charles 9

There are actually free pulse measuring apps out there. They just need camera permission.

6. ratfox

I wonder how precise the 3D data is. A flat picture will not work, but if all you need to do is fold it a bit imaginatively, that's not much better...

But more generally, I find this inferior to the fingerprint sensor: slower, and more cumbersome.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Why would someone implement a multipoint 3D scanner that wouldn't distinguish between a face and two planes intersecting at an edge? Your face would have more in common with almost any other human's face than it would a folded piece of paper.

1. Tigra 07
        Facepalm

What if you have a really flat face and squarish head?

Sounds farfetched but i met someone at school like that (He was known as Hammerhead (and hated it)).

2. Dr Mantis Toboggan
      FAIL

Sony already have this 3d tech in the latest Xperia XZ1 it was demoed 3 months ago to pretty much zero fanfare, but now Apple have something the same everyone loses their minds???

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/26/sony-to-demo-3d-face-biometric-running-on-xperia-smartphone/

7. iron Silver badge

What about someone who has facial reconstruction surgery, perhaps after a car crash? As the car is crashing do they need to turn off Face ID on their iPhone so they can still unlock it?

1. JamesPond

What about someone who has facial reconstruction surgery?

From watching the iPhoneX keynote, the first phone they tried didn't recognise the users face but requested a Passcode instead. So similar functionality as TouchID.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: What about someone who has facial reconstruction surgery?

Yeah, the phone during the keynote had been either power cycled or left too long - both of which disable biometric unlocking by design.

The passcode is also required from the user for done other operations too, so someone with a facial accident (or an accident with some super glue and a Halloween mask) can still access their phone.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cooperation

When Apple wouldn't try to unlock that iPhone and politicians went on about working with tech companies to get around encryption, is this the solution they came up with together with "the industry" aka Apple?

Some folk in the government security world are smart enough to say "well if breaking the lock won't sit well with consumers, what if we make opening it easier?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cooperation

If the dead terrorist's face was intact it might work to unlock the phone. But they'd have to do it quickly, death causes all sorts of changes in the tissues which would quickly make it no longer a match. They also have to do it quickly enough as Touch ID times out after 48 hours, and have to hope he hadn't disabled it via hitting the sleep/wake button five times or turning off the phone.

It would be a LOT easier for law enforcement to break into a dead person's phone using Touch ID (or using the other inferior facial recognition systems that can be fooled with a photograph) than Face ID. Getting the person's fingerprints (which they leave everywhere) or a picture of them is a lot easier than needing their face intact and lifelike. Perhaps a 3D printed model of the face would work, assuming there were enough photos from different angles.

I saw an article where someone who works with military grade facial recognition gear said that based on all the sensors Apple has they have the hardware sufficient for telling the difference between an actual face and a dead person or perfect 3D printed replica, but the software to do it (basically looking for the right amount of translucence in the skin and areas of greater/lesser blood flow leading to temperature differences) is very complex. He didn't believe they could get that right on day one, but thought it could improve its resistance to fakery over time as they tweak it.

9. JakHaxz
    Joke

Password Policy

Due to company password policy we will be requiring all staff who get the new Iphone to have their face surgically altered every 90 days

Credit: https://twitter.com/PHP_CEO/status/907697084253470721

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Password Policy

Their new face must include a scar at least 8 inches long, at least one leg and at least one cleft palate.

10. fedoraman
    Coat

Wasps

Help!

I've just been stung by 50 wasps, and now my face has swelled up I can't unlock my phone to call for an ambulance!

Well, it might happen.

1. Charles 9

Re: Wasps

Most phones allow you to make an emergency call from the lock screen.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

And whilst waiting for for the ambulance, you can just unlock with a passcode.

1. Stuart Elliott

Dave 126 - you're wasting your breath, if you're not denigrating Apple and the iPhone, you're a delusional fanboi and need to be down-voted into oblivion apparently.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I actually use a Nexus 5 and whatever PC is best suited to my needs - my use of CAD dictates Windows over Linux or OSX.

CAD has exposed me to some UI conventions that I still can't believe aren't more widely adopted such as Pie Menus. I have an interest in 'pervasive computing' only because I've uses for a 3D scanner.

I'm sanguine about swappable batteries, learnt the hard way that SD cards on phones are a sub optimal experience. I'm dubious that a completely modular phone is useful, but feel that a bottom edge-mounted USB port is not ideal for expanding a phones capabilities for a whole range of niche devices.

1. Charles 9

"I'm sanguine about swappable batteries..."

That may be you, but I've seen enough bulging batteries in the last five years to not trust them enough to leave them enclosed in a non-serviceable case. I consider them a fire risk so insist on them being removable.

1. D@v3

Re: bulging batteries

Can happen any where.

I'm currently mourning the loss of my Pebble Round. The other day the case popped open, due to the battery swelling, and of course now that there is no more Pebble, chances of a service are, slim, to say the least.

2. Lee D Silver badge

Emergency calls are another matter entirely. If *ANYTHING* technologically gets in their way, Apple have not just failed but broken the law too, most likely.

More likely: Someone broke my nose last night and now I can't call my parents. Put on your makeup and it doesn't recognise you any more. Train it to the makeup face and it doesn't recognise the un-made-up one. Change your hairstyle and it won't let you in, etc. etc. Drag queens are really going to have a hard time, or start carrying two iPhones...

Though it should have a passcode, we've basically gone back to the lock screen being as secure as a passcode. Maybe slight convenience added, but if that's at the cost of ANY security whatsoever, then it's downhill.

3. pug0772

An excellent point. Except, you can still make an emergency call with the phone locked. Oh, and you can still unlock the phone with the passcode. Other than those 2 points that is an excellent observation...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You give them everything and even pay for your own subjugation

How long until all of your Biometric data ends up with Homeland Security, how stupid are Apple users?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like