back to article Microsoft extends free Windows 10 S to Win 10 Pro upgrade offer

Microsoft has quietly extended a free upgrade offer that will allow some buyers of Windows 10 S to move to Windows 10 Pro, a move that suggests buyers aren't entirely happy with the cut-down version of Windows restriction on running apps sourced from beyond Microsoft's own Store. Windows 10 S is a cut-down version of Windows …

Page:

1. Michael Habel

Re: Is there a TARDIS in the room?

And much like the vaunted Time Machine you're completely lost as the incident in which you were referring to happened in the mid-ninties, and not in the eighties when the PC was the Ferrari in the room, of sundry 16, and 8-bit Microcomputers.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Maybe true but when you get to a certain age everything dissolves into a time slurry so you can't remember exactly when it something happened, only roughly which end of the slurry river it was ...

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Was actually in the 90s that happened. I think they get away with it now because of Google Chrome laptops do the same.

1. David Lawton

What Windows 10 S achieves which is a more secure locked down environment would be better if it was a mode you could turn on once your PC was how you wanted it, a simple toggle switch.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a more secure locked down environment would be better if it was a mode you could turn on once your PC was how you wanted it, a simple toggle switch."

That would need to be a hardware switch otherwise all the malware writers would be going for it.

2. Chika
      FAIL

What Windows 10 S achieves which is a more secure locked down environment would be better if it was a mode you could turn on once your PC was how you wanted it, a simple toggle switch.

Quite so, but let's face it, the only people in the marketplace are corporate types who don't want to lock down to Microsoft, they want to lock down to their own subset of applications. Other than that, users want to do what they want, not what some Merkan corporate wants to lock them into. The only good thing I can say is that at least Micro$oft were up front this time about it rather than sneaking it in like they did with the Slurp(tm) or like Google and much of their shady doings.

3. conscience

The 'extra secure' Windows 10S was cracked inside 3 hours, so all it really offers is being locked-in to Microsoft's failing app store. It's no wonder Microsoft have been forced to offer the full version of Windows 10, they have zero chance of selling their new hardware otherwise.

2. Nattrash
    Pint

El Reg's marketing-to-English translat-o-tronic...

Bravo ElReg!

Brilliant invention, great investment!

Curious though... Is this the luxury model with the integrated bullshit-o-meter?

3. JerryS

Giving MS that much control over your desktop is very dangerous.

I bought an LG Smart TV that had Skype pre-installed so went out and bought an LG Cam to Skype with my family. Next thing MS decides not to support Skype on TV's and I have been left with an £80 cam that I can no longer use.

What happens if you start using an App from MS Store and they suddenly decide to remove it from the MS App store...... you are screwed.

Steer well clear of this product. It's like buying a car that you can not drive in Scotland or Wales.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I bought an LG Smart TV that had Skype pre-installed so went out and bought an LG Cam to Skype with my family."

Hope springs eternal.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Perhaps you could plug it into a PC or Pi (Linux) and use it as a standard webcam with Skype or something else?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. MK_E

Oh boy, it's the "let's make things user-friendly by neutering or hiding all those confusing features" design philosophy that I hoped would die in the 90s.

5. gskr
    Facepalm

Never understood why they'd try Win 10 S on a high-end computer like the Surface - its just a really poor fit.

(Sensible) people don't spend a grand on a computer to be limited to a few curated apps and light web surfing (on Edge only).

They should be giving it away free to computer manufacturers building low-end (sub £200) computers that compete more in the chromebook price range, as surely thats its only reason for existing? I imagine that in that market it might be able to shave a bit off the cost of the computer, whilst doing all that was asked of it, driving traffic to bing and the windows store + providing an upgrade option to those who wanted more. In the high-end market though... NO!

6. MrKrotos

What am I missing?

Hang on, this upgrade offer states its free

"For those that find they need an application that isn’t yet available in the Store and must be installed from another source, we’re extending the ability to switch from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro for free until March 31, 2018"

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: What am I missing?

Why does this hardware even have the "S" version at all?

It's like buying a Ferrari and putting pressed steel wheels on it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's right, Microsoft

You should have realized by now that most people do not want a Microsoft account (a prerequisite for Cortana, OneDrive and the Windows Store) when they're using Windows.

And people really hate a 'locked down' Windows device. Didn't learn from your Windows RT boo-boo, did you? Microsoft/Windows is going nowhere in mobile, the 'third ecosystem' is not going to happen. And even if it does, Microsoft will not be the one to disrupt the Apple/Google duopoly.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Lipstick and Pigs

Putting Lippy on a Pig does not make it anything more than a Pig with Lippy.

As for the furry finish option.... WTF were they smoking when they thought that was a good idea?

9. jacksmith21006

Make Windows S secure and it would maybe have a chance. People are DONE buying insecure software and that is the issue for MS.

Edge this year was hacked at will at Pawned 2017. Chrome only browser unhackable in time allotted.

Windows S was easily hacked on the first try and ChromeOS, I do not believe, has been hacked yet.

10. steviebuk Silver badge

Was a shit idea...

...Windows 10 S. Why did they even think it would be good? I like Microsoft but limiting a unit to only use the Windows Store when the Windows Store itself is failing is not a good move. Look at all the adverts we see on TV today and pretty much none of the "phone apps" that are advertised have Windows Phone support, so more than likely won't be available on the Windows Store for the Surface either.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When not even Microsoft distribute most of their software in their own app store why should they expect others to take it seriously?

Nearly all Microsoft downloads are still .exe/.msi installers.

1. 0laf
      FAIL

When I had a Windows phone (yeah I was one of the 4 and I liked it) and I plugged it into my Win10 desktop it always suggested I try Office for Android.

That's just how committed MS are to their own products.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And even if you are a fan of Microsoft's apps and services

They have already been ported over to the Apple's App Store and the Google Play Store.

There's no point staying inside the Windows walled garden bubble when it doesn't even have B-tier games, and common apps for newspapers, banks and travel.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like