back to article Microsoft sets the date for Fall Creators Update

Microsoft has used the IFA conference in Berlin to announce the next big update for Windows 10 users – the Fall Creators Update will be released on October 17. Redmond has been ramping up the fast-track developer builds of the update over the past few weeks, largely ironing out bugs, and it now looks as though they feel it's …

Page:

1. inmypjs Silver badge

Just how much....

lipstick can this pig take?

2. Fenton

Decent backup

Not particularly an Apple fan but Indo like time machine.

I'd love a backup utility that will back up a full install with apps installed and files/documents restored seperatly.

1. Sven Coenye
      Devil

Re: Decent backup

You mean, like NTBackup?

1. Paul 129
        Trollface

Re: Decent backup

"You mean, like NTBackup?"

Unfriendly as it was, it was the last Microsoft one to do the job reliably.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: "You mean, like NTBackup?"

Was this compatible between all versions of NT? (I seem to remember that DOS backups were always different between versions).

The consequence: MTBackup

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

Lenovo let slip the date? Wasn't 'fall' a big enough giveaway? I mean come on, who's actually bothered enough about the specifics...

1. Chika

Wasn't 'fall' a big enough giveaway?

Depends on who you are talking to. Not everyone speaks in Merkanese, you know.

("Fall" is Merkan for autumn if you weren't aware).

1. Wensleydale Cheese

("Fall" is Merkan for autumn if you weren't aware).

Nice colours, but the leaves clog up the drains.

And aren't particularly good for a certain type of train...

2. Timmy B

"Fall" is Merkan for autumn if you weren't aware

We used it here in the UK first. Until we adopted Autumn here when French became trendy (how did that happen?)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fall, Creators! Update.

I always somehow suspected commas were important and possibly even useful ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fall, Creators! Update.

I do wonder if Fall Creators Update was deliberately chosen to upset the Grammar Police.

Where are you all today?

2. Updraft102

Remember, commas save lives!

"Let's eat, grandma."

"Let's eat grandma."

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Punctuation means a lot.

It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit!

5. James Marten
    WTF?

Most. Tedious. Upgrade. Ever.

Let's hope they can make the installation happen either faster, or at least not need so much disc space.

Tried upgrading an Asus netbook with only a 32G SSD, but otherwise adequate performance, with the previous Creators Update. Wait for Windows Update to download and then run the installer - sorry, needs 8Gb space on C: (there was about 4G available), with no way to use space on another drive.

Download the media creation tool and the appropriate update image, prepare a USB stick, plug this in and run the setup program. No, still needs 8Gb spare space, but at least with the option of using another drive. Plug in a second USB stick and tell it to use that. So the upgrade process starts.

Four days later... the progress has reached 9%. With the disc and USB drive lights flashing away, so obviously not hung.

Another day later... reboots back to the original installation, "Sorry, the upgrade failed".

Try again. Uninstall antivirus, Chrome, Office 365... now enough space. Run the USB upgrader again, which thankfully only takes overnight and succeeds. Then reinstall everything.

Now looking forward to having to do the same in a few months' time...

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Most. Tedious. Upgrade. Ever.

Another day later... reboots back to the original installation, "Sorry, the upgrade failed".

One of my systems with 32GB suffered a similar experience with a Windows 10 upgrade, though more quickly and more fatally. It eventually gave up with a less than useful "Something went wrong" error message. After re-boot, just a blank screen, 'bricked' in some way.

It's now back with the supplier while they try and breath some life back into it. And I have vowed never to buy any system which doesn't have a hard disk ever again.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Gaming vs Business

The ONLY major users now that need Windows are business users, mostly with legacy applications.

"The update will allow PC gamers to set the computer to max out the processor for smoother gameplay, and there'll be a bunch of new games as well."

This is as daft a focus as Win8 & Win10 phone interface.

The important things for majority of money spending customers are:

* Legacy compatibility

* Security

* Privacy

* Remote Administration

* Using ANY software source, not just Windows store.

* Decent GUI that offers clues where to click and follows good usability practices. See Norman Nielsen Group. Vista excessive eye candy and Win10 excess flat are two silly extremes. Windows 3.x, Win95, and any NT to Server 2003 are fine. Explorer desktop was a good idea if they fixed Explorer bugs and stupidity (copy, move or shortcut?).

Built in adverts and turning telemetry back on after updates is unacceptable.

Why are MS ignoring their captive and most important customers, chasing phones, tablets, cloud, VR, AR and games. They have an XBox and Cloud should be entirely optional.

Why are all the IoT services on by default?

Why does it take so long to shut down and restart after updates? It didn't use to be like that. Linux can do updates properly.

Why is there less GUI/Desktop customisation than in nearly 30 years?

Why the user data grab?

Why the lack of choice on updates? Feature and Security should be separate.

Why are you asked to confirm change from Edge to Firefox.

Why can't you "turn off" the Windows store entirely or remove unwanted apps/

Why are settings fragmented to five interfaces?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

All those WHYs

It could be it's an Alien Intelligence trying to tell us something but we still haven't found out what.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a UK site

So how about using British English - its "autumn" , not "fall".

1. Teiwaz

Re: This is a UK site

So how about using British English - its "autumn" , not "fall".

How about autumnal, maybe a little Keats will help people forget their electronics is being injected with more malware advert programs and half-completed experimental features*.

*Yes, 'Linux often gets those too, but at least it's usually by the frenzied hand of some eager half-mad computer-scientist, rather than some gestalt comittee abortion squeezed out of a marketing meeting.

1. jelabarre59

...squeezed out of a marketing meeting.

Yes, that would describe much of MS' output; something you squeeze out, hopefully not popping a vein when it gets too impacted.

2. Oh Homer
      Mushroom

Yes, but the phrase "Fall Creators Update" is being peddled by Microsoft, and El Reg is just the messenger.

Apparently it's Microsoft that believes this is Planet America.

1. Chika

Apparently it's Microsoft that believes this is Planet America.

They'd like it to be...

2. brotherelf

> Apparently it's Microsoft that believes this is Planet America.

:shrugs: There's no Android Pandan Cake yet, either, and there were some interesting bugs in Fedora for the version codenamed Schrödinger.

1. Oh Homer

Re: Android names

Of the 15 Android releases, only 4 were named after American products, and 3 of those were internationally recognised words. The one exception was Froyo, which as a word, basically doesn't exist outside America, much like "Fall" (meaning Autumn).

However, naming an OS after internationally recognised food is one thing, but giving pet names to a set of patches is taking things to new heights of silliness, especially when 95% of the world's population has no idea what the hell you're talking about.

FAIL

Re: Android names

Creator's Winter is coming.

3. Timmy B

"So how about using British English - its "autumn" , not "fall"."

English before the French had their way with us was fall. Or to be more correct "the fall of the year". But then how far do you go back - I wonder what ice age man said?

4. TheVogon

"So how about using British English"

You mean so how about using English. It needs no qualification as it's the original. It's English vs US English ditto Football vs American Football, etc. etc.

8. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Trollface

" The big additions are gaming and mixed reality"

That "mixed reality" should appeal to the procurement department in the White House.

9. 404

Ya'll missed it by a mile...

Microsoft is quite satisfied with the information they've already collected....

Now they want faces to match that information so they know who they're managing... Question is: Why do they want to be Google?

1. Chika
      Trollface

Re: Ya'll missed it by a mile...

Question is: Why do they want to be Google?

Now there's an obvious answer! What do Google and Microsoft have in common?

1. They are large corporations based in Merka.

2. They have a stranglehold on one or more parts of a lucrative business.

3. They have a lust for money and power.

So if Google are making moolah from doing things and acting in a certain way, why would Microsoft do the same thing?

Let's try not to be evil...

1. Updraft102

"So if Google are making moolah from doing things and acting in a certain way, why would Microsoft do the same thing?"

You could substitute "Apple" for "Google" in that question and it would work just as well. They're trying to copy Apple's walled garden and offer their own line of overpriced "luxury" hardware (except that the Apple stuff actually works).

"Microsoft is innovating now," we keep hearing. Copying the business models of other businesses (whether or not they even apply to what MS has to offer) is innovation?

It's like the business plan of the "underpants gnomes" in South Park... Step 1. Steal underpants. Step 2. (?) Step 3. Profit!

MS thinks that if they copy the step 1 of Google and Apple, they'll get to "Profit!" without knowing what step 2 is. "Apple does this and they make more profits than us on far less revenue! If we do it, we will have Apple profits too!"

I swing back and forth between thinking Microsoft is crazy like a fox (with some kind of plan we can only guess at) and thinking they're just indescribably stupid. The things they're doing are so dumb at face value that I have a hard time believing that they're really what MS is up to, but what if they are? What if this bumbling incompetence really is what they're about right now? For those of us still within the MS gravitational field, is that any better than them being cynical but brilliant?

Microsoft was NEVER brilliant.

The only good idea they ever had was take up Dave Cutler on a offer.

2. Timmy B

"3. They have a lust for money and power."

Sad news for you - if you work for or own a company that wants to make increasing profits. Then that's you too.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge
          Unhappy

The lust for money response I'd agree. If Microsoft weren't seeking money ( and power?) they'd be stupid and irresponsible. More interesting is whether the approach they've taken, of copying methods that other companies have already made a success of is a good one - when they arrive at the docks after the boat has sailed, and then jump so hard that they might end up sinking it. I write this as a Winphone user, in transition, who would have loved to stay with the platform. See previous posts galore.

10. Syntax Error

Spy

When is the "not going to spy on you" update coming out? I guess you would have to pay for that.

I think the Windows 10 philosophy of being on any machine, mobile or workstation doesn't work.

11. TheBBG

Yawn. More bloatware and yet another set of new problems to work around. This has never happened before, surely it hasn't!

12. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

"that will let you tell your story like never before"

I wonder what they will do to improve on Bill's story:-

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2008/06/24/full-text-an-epic-bill-gates-e-mail-rant/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much Wow!

Every time Microsoft opens its mouth I remember the last time I used a Windows machine. They lost me to Linux and OS X at Vista after years of XP pain. Zero credibility that this is anything more than finally a semi-stable update, still heavily prone to viruses with a few toys they've had to put out to compete after decades of an OS that came with nothing but notepad and minesweeper.

Not happening. No credible designer would use Windows. So basically it's an update to run CoD faster. Wow.

1. wallaby

Re: Much Wow!

"Every time Microsoft opens its mouth I remember the last time I used a Windows machine."

Every time I see an article about Microsoft I see the Penguins emerge from the side-lines trying to make the story about them

I think all Windows users should post comments on Linux stories just so you Penguins can see how tedious it really is.

And by the way adeyjay I wasn't assuming you were a penguinista, id just trudged through the predictable drivel up to this point.

14. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

"New experiences made possible by Windows Mixed Reality"

Does this mean I get a free subscription to the New York Times?

15. hairydog

Not really relevant to me

The sad reality is that the "improvements" that Microsoft is working on have no relevance to me.

I don't use their web browser, I don't use Cortana, I don't play games, I don't use any Windows apps, I am not interested in VR, headsets, 3D or eye control. I don't use OneDrive.

Perhaps I'm untypical of most users of Windows, but I suspect that I am not all that unusual.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not really relevant to me

Same here. Not using a Microsoft account means most of the 'innovative features' on Windows 10 are irrelevant to you e.g. Cortana and OneDrive. And that also means boycotting the Windows app store.

And in the near future, if VR really takes off I'll look to Apple or Google, thank you very much.

The Edge browser is really a polished turd version of Internet Explorer. Think how horrible Internet Explorer was, that Microsoft had to rebrand it, add a few frivolous features, retain a modified IE logo (to remind you of Edge's lineage) and be forced upon those running Windows 10S.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like