nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
New York Police scrap 36,000 Windows smartphones

Silver badge

Re: Why does she still have that job??

It doesn't beg the question. It prompts it. To beg the question is to build the answer into the question (e.g. 'have you stopped beating your wife' suggests that you already do), thus 'beggaring' the question and forcing a response built on the terms you have already built in. It is a specific rhetorical device.

And now i feel much better, thank you.

Silver badge
Joke

<quote>That kind of incompetence is Management Manglement material.</quote>

FTFY

Silver badge

"The union just makes sure there is just cause and treated fairly."

If there _is_ just cause, most unions(*) will say as much and refuse to support the worker's case. It's not in their interests to damage the employer.

(*) Most unions are well under the radar and have good relations with their employers. Many have never had industrial action in their entire existence. The ones you read about are either up against asshole management or has assholes leading the union. It's more usually the former than the latter, however once the former take hold of a company, the latter can end up with a foothold in the union.

Anonymous Coward

Not union at that level. That kind of incompetence is Management material.

And if she *does* get fired she could go one county north and get a job at IBM. (nah, even **she's** probably too competent for *that* job.)

Silver badge
Coat

Oh, the irony!

Of course NYPD has been very keen on the 'broken windows' approach to policing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Silver badge

Re: Oh, the irony!

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory"

The ironic part being that some parts of Broken Windows Theory are actually extremely valuable but the implmentation leaving a lot to be desired.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

The Broken Windows Theory is Broken

Because it completely ignores the real cause of the problem: poverty, and instead further disenfranchises the victims by treating them all like criminals (including those who are not yet criminals), thus actually transforming them into the very criminals that this flawed theory purportedly seeks to avoid creating in the first place.

The result is a sort of "genocide" of the poor, where the police end up adopting a shoot-first mentality, typically armed with military surplus weapons, and the victims end up rioting, causing further escalation of this vicious circle.

Meanwhile the actual criminals on Wall Street, who created this mess in the first place, get off scot-free.

Silver badge

Re: The Broken Windows Theory is Broken

"Because it completely ignores the real cause of the problem: poverty, and instead further disenfranchises the victims by treating them all like criminals"

Properly implemented, it recognises poverty as a major problem and that people's fear of crime is vastly exaggerated by the presence of graffiti and damaged property that isn't repaired quickly.

As I said, it's the NYC implementation that was the problem. Other countries which have taken on board the necessity of early social intervention to guide offenders away from crime have had it pay dividends in reduced crime rates. The same applies in policies requiring that graffiti and property damage be cleaned up quickly. The perception of crime levels (or of councils "caring") is based on what people see, not what politicians say. Unrepaired vandalism and graffiti in particular cause estimations of neighbourhood crime levels to be many times higher than they actually are and the resulting social stress has knock-on public health effects.

US policing mentality has a tendency towards massive overreaction and violence, to the point where NY had to explicitly issue orders for cops not to shoot at people running away in the 1990s after a series of wrongful death settlements.

The US "justice" system is heavily geared towards revenge and retribution as is the average american mindset, vs repair and reconciliation in the EU. The differences in prison populations show this rather starkly as does the fact that many american states deny voting rights to people with criminal convictions - something that has been used in the South to systematically disenfranchise the poor by targetting them for heavy-handed enforcement.

Many standard US policing and prison practices are completely illegal in the EU and also violate the UN charter on human rights - ironic considering where UN headquarters is located.

Silver badge

On the plus side...

...it's nice to know that procurement cock - ups aren't a uniquely British phenomenon. I wonder how much the development of custom apps added to the total.

And given the reports about her "management style" I wonder who had the courage to tell her that this enterprise was a cul - de - sac.

Re: On the plus side...

She'd do well in the MoD....

Silver badge
Coat

iPhone?

Really.

Sigh.

Silver badge

Re: iPhone?

Well now they have Jesus deciding on the phone so it makes sense. And now Cook is in charge, he doesn't need to enter into arguments over who is the Messiah.

Why not? at least the OS is somewhat guaranteed to get updates for the next 4+ years, unlike 99% of the Android handsets

Silver badge

Re: Why not?

Um, because you're tied to one supplier? Seems like an OS that runs on more than one manufacturer's devices would be sensible.

Well they have now decided on a Jesus phone..

Please tell me

These will just be securely wiped, and then reinstalled with custom firmware (abandoned = open source) and given to the needy? 36000 phones for the poor would go a long way.

I had this idea a while back as M$ did the same with Atom netbooks which still run Lubuntu perfectly well.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Please tell me

Shredded most likely.

Sorry, that was a poor joke. They will be charge an extortionate amount to be securely wiped.

By that, I mean they will be charged, and most likely the company involved will just bin them in the hope no one actually trawls through them for data.

Even if they sell them as surplus, they'll probably wait a few years, guaranteeing that they will get at most a few cents per phone.

Linux

Isn't the same being done to their surface shite which no-one wants to touch with a 50 foot bargepole? Look for the eBay firesale coming your way real soon now. I can't for the life of me remember who also did this with kit which could be made perfectly usable by flashing with Android - was it some Amazon phone flop early on maybe?

The problem is total costs

Since it is possible to buy cheap smart phones I have to question whether securely wiping this phones so they can be reused is worth the trouble, if our goal is to get as many phones into the hands of the poor as possible. Simply put, I would love to see the refurbishment costs compared to binning the phones and buying new ones for the poor. Simply having sunk costs is not a reason to help fewer people with the same number of tax dollars.

M$ seem to be really good at backing the loser: Surface,Windows Phone, HD-DVD, etc.

On the flip side HD-DVD modules are perfect for hacking PCB etchers and other DIY uses and a good way to get into UV lasers.

I made a 3 output PSU from my external which was useful for about maybe 2 years.

Fans got "recycled" to fix a pricey monitor with a bad IC, if you kept it cool no glitches.

What they should do is rebrand not simply abandon the technology. HD-DVD is still used for archiving (security through obscurity?) and Surface tablets are finding medical applications as cheap HD screens for hospital use or so it seems.

Silver badge

Give them to the poor?

Just because they're poor doesn't mean you have to be so cruel as to give them Windows Phones!

Silver badge

Re: Give them to the poor?

They are not alone. Our company had Windows phones as the assigned device for particular roles in their outsourced mobile comms contract - despite us telling them it was a stupid idea , they were 100% refused by the people that they tried to foist them on.

I would expect that nobody would be so cruel as to impose such junk on the poor, considering they wouldn't get much for them selling them on anyway.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Give them to the poor?

It's not just consumers left high and dry when microsoft abandon their hardware. I deal with some major telco resellers, one in particular who's colour scheme matches the Reg's masthead exactly, and their "investment" in microsoft phones only 2 years ago was all-in. We couldn't move for the "microsoft will conquer all" message being rammed down our throats - all the demo suites being totally ripped out, even lorries having microsoft phone demo suites installed. Plus some "me too" catch-up continuum system where you could carry on working on your phone where you left off on a PC was being pushed as being hot and new, despite Motorola doing it years earlier. These are resellers, remember - they sell wholesale into corporates. I talked to one of their MDs recently and he was saying microsoft are trying it again with surface but he's been so badly burnt he, and others in a similar position, are demanding what amounts to 100% sale-or-return deals before going anywhere near them again.

Holmes

Remember, this is "New York". The phones along with their batteries will more than likely be thrown in the nearest landfill. New York will just waste more of the taxpayer's money and buy more. Hopefully they can get a 15 year old kid ( the kid will have a more knowledge on cell phone and systems) to research and purchase a workable phone. The idiots that made the purchase should be fired.

Bronze badge

I can't for the life of me remember who also did this with kit which could be made perfectly usable by flashing with Android

I think that was the WebOS devices once HP managed to completely screw the pooch on that platform.

Def
Silver badge

Even though those two models are eligible to be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile, the NYPD will need to redesign more than a dozen custom apps it created to run on Windows 8.1.

That sounds suspect to me. Most 8.1 phone apps run just fine on Windows 10 Mobile. The ones that don't are usually the ones written by muppets.

But presumably now they'll have to redesign and port those same applications to either Android or iOS. I wish them luck with that.

TRT
Silver badge

Yeah... something smells fishy.

"And every phone will need to be manually updated to the new operating system."

Manual update to Windows 10? It doesn't happen automatically when you click "No"?

Silver badge

"Most 8.1 phone apps run just fine on Windows 10 Mobile. The ones that don't are usually the ones written by muppets."

Your point being?

Just like like Here (formerly Nokia Drive)....?

Def
Silver badge

Your point being

My point being it would probably be considerably less work to fix those apps (if they even need fixing) than to port them to another platform.

The "we need to redesign these because they don't work good" sounds more like an excuse by an equally unqualified fool who is just doing the opposite thing to the last fool in a vague attempt to appear competent.

Anonymous Coward

> it would probably be considerably less work to fix those apps (if they even need fixing) than to port them to another platform.

Sure. But then you're still on old Windows Phone hardware, which still has a planned end-of-life very soon. And the phones are old anyway. So they have to replace all the phones soon, and the only sensible options are Android or iOS - you don't want to be stuck on a dead/dying platform. So they will have to do an Android or iOS port soon, they may as well skip Windows 10 and go straight to iOS.

Silver badge
Joke

"Most 8.1 phone apps run just fine on Windows 10 Mobile. The ones that don't are usually the ones written by muppets."

So, they'll need to ditch Kermit then?

Anonymous Coward

"That sounds suspect to me. Most 8.1 phone apps run just fine on Windows 10 Mobile. The ones that don't are usually the ones written by muppets."

That's incredibly unfair, the Muppets used to get loads of laughs and there's NOTHING even remotely amusing about Windows 8.1

Def
Silver badge

So they have to replace all the phones soon, and the only sensible options are Android or iOS - you don't want to be stuck on a dead/dying platform. So they will have to do an Android or iOS port soon, they may as well skip Windows 10 and go straight to iOS.

Or they port them to the Universal Windows platform and unify their software platform across mobile and desktop. I doubt very much their desktops run Android or iOS.

Regardless of the state of Windows Mobile right now, there are still Windows 10 tablets and laptops out there, and there will be new phones coming sooner rather than later.

Still gotta be cheaper than replacing 36,000 phones and porting said software to the new phones.

Silver badge

>> Your point being

> My point being it would probably be considerably less work to fix those apps (if they even need fixing) than to port them to another platform.

But, would you expect a bunch of muppets to be able to do that?

Bronze badge

That sounds suspect to me. Most 8.1 phone apps run just fine on Windows 10 Mobile. The ones that don't are usually the ones written by muppets.

Well, there's your answer.

Silver badge

So - what qualifications does a billionaire's daughter have to be Deputy Commissioner for IS?

I seem to remember a similar question being asked elsewhere.

I can think of a billion reasons.

Silver badge
Windows

So - what qualifications does a billionaire's daughter

Jealous, much ? It so happens that she is a billionaire's daughter, however, not much to do with her qualifications ... She holds a law degree and an MBA:

http://www.hbs.edu/news/Pages/item.aspx?num=5543

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bratton-names-jessica-tisch-nypd-deputy-commissioner-information-technology-article-1.1612727

2 min on google ...

Silver badge

Well,

a law degree and an MBA.

When do I get appointed to the Supreme Court?

Ah, I think I'll blame the MBA for this disaaster then. She should have stuck to business stuff, and left the IT procurement to someone who doesn't think that Windows on device A means Windows on device B because they're both Windows.

"She holds a law degree and an MBA"

How does that qualify her to make IT decisions?

Isn't that the normal qualifications for IT decision making in large organisations?

Anonymous Coward

"She holds a law degree and an MBA"

How does that qualify her to make IT decisions?

She holds an MBA??? How does that qualify her to ***make decisions*** of *any* type? I wouldn't rely on an MBA to pick my socks.

Silver badge

Old apps won't run on Windows 10 Mobile

"Even though those two models are eligible to be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile, the NYPD will need to redesign more than a dozen custom apps it created to run on Windows 8.1. And every phone will need to be manually updated to the new operating system."

Old apps won't run on new OS, what genius scientist designed 'Windows 10 Mobile' this way and what's stopping the developers recompiling the old apps for the new OS? Trivially easy under Linux, just a few compiler directives in the make file.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Old apps won't run on Windows 10 Mobile

and 40000 #ifdefs in the source code for all the *ux variants.

Silver badge

Re: Old apps won't run on Windows 10 Mobile

I wonder if the statement is actually true. While the manual update might be (though I even doubt that) the applications probably will recompile to the new windows.

My hunch reading some of the article is there is a wilful lack of understanding and New Yorkers are going to see their money wasted.

WTF?

Everyone is bashing the people who signed off on these, but what about MS?

How the hell does a smartphone purchased in 2016 become almost completely obsolete by 2017?

I have an HTC android phone purchased in 2012 that is still receiving updates and running well.

This definitely makes me worried about our organization using anything Windows related and MS seem to be constantly shooting themselves in the foot with this crap. Windows had always been my favorite desktop OS for productivity but MS keep sabotaging their own work with various stupid decisions like the Windows 10 forced upgrades/updates.

Thumb Down

Re: WTF?

Yup yup yup. I was heading right in this direction. All issues with the selection aside, Microsoft has to take some responsibility in its own demise. I was going to ask if a company can be so blind to its bullshit, but the obvious answer is, yes. It plays this never-ending game with its users and devotees screwing them at every corner, including this path of constant obsolescence, pretending users are okay with it and actually want more.

Microsoft has tuned its Reality Distortion Field to work on itself, but its nowhere near as capable as Jobs' in regards to customers. At least in the case of translating frustration from the desktop to the mobile phone market. Microsoft may be King of the Desktop, but that has nothing to do with the goodness of the product and treating mobile phones like a desktop just is not going to bring market share.

In short, Microsoft does not have its shit together.

Now, I know very little about iPhones as I neither own or use one. However, I recently came across an iPhone user with an iPhone 5 running everything a newer device can. That is a five year-old phone running iOS 10 and all the accoutrements therein. That seems pretty impressive to my non-iPhone-using self. Yet here we have Windows smart phones purchased in 2016, applications which cannot run in 10 in 2017, which would only be supported until 2019.

Big WTF here, Microsoft.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing