back to article Science fiction great Brian Aldiss, 92, dies at his Oxford home

Brian Aldiss OBE, one of the most popular and prolific science fiction writers of his generation, has passed way at his home one day after his 92nd birthday. Aldiss published an enormous number of science fiction books and short stories – as well as non-fiction work – but is perhaps best known for the Helliconia trilogy and …

Page:

1. Sanguma

Another one bites the dust ...

I've still got the copies of Helliconia I bought in the 80s. Re-reading them last year I thought how ironic that he after criticizing JRR Tolkien in Billion Year Spree (and later Trillion Year Spree) should, rather like Harry Harrison with his West of Eden Trilogy, fall back on some of Tolkien's own world-building tools, to make - in many cases - exactly the same points Tolkien was making in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Google "Tolkien ecology movement" and "Tolkien environmental movement" and compare and contrast with the ghouls (hint: they're ghouls even before they become ghouls) on the earth-human space station Avernus orbiting Helliconia ...

2. VinceH

His name is one of those I remember when I think of all the SF greats I read when I was young. However, when I initially read of his death, thinking I should reread whichever ones stood out most in my memory I looked at his bibliography - and didn't recognise a single title!

I suspect I may not have read any of his books, after all, but more likely read some (many) of his short stories in anthologies. I don't recognise any of those titles, either, but there are more of them (and I read many anthologies, so I'm less likely to remember specific titles).

On the subject of Supertoys Last All Summer Long:

Aldiss said that he wasn't keen on the happyish ending that Spielberg tacked onto the film, but that was just his personal view. He said that the story of the unloved robot child David was inspired by his own difficult relationship with his severely depressed mother growing up.

I've only seen the film once, and (unaware of this view) I said much the same thing at the time - there's a point where I felt the film should have ended (in the sub - that should be enough of a reminder to those who have seen it, without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't). Everything after that ruined it.

If I ever watch it again, that's the point I will stop - especially now knowing Aldiss had a similar view.

1. molletts

Re: The AI ending

>> Aldiss ... wasn't keen on the happyish ending...

> I've only seen the film once ... I said much the same thing at the time

Yes, I felt that too - it should have simply faded to black with the solemn narrator voiceover. The tacked-on ending feels like gratuitous added sugar.

That said, when I saw the film again some years later, the epilogue seemed less "jarring", but maybe that's just because I was expecting it. Watching it "without prejudice", it didn't feel quite as "empty" either, although I still don't think anything would really be lost by simply truncating the film (and arguably the whole might be improved as a result).

I suppose we should just be grateful Disney didn't get their hands on it. I don't even want to think what the result might have been like after they'd finished dumping truckloads of sugar into it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Greg Egan

Not a writer for wild adventures or shoot-'em-ups, but very much a programmer's SF author. Strongly recommended. For instance, he was writing about the cloud 30 years ago.

And he doesn't just do recherche high-tech stuff - try "Zendegi".

4. wheelybird

Adam Roberts

I'll nominate Adam Roberts as a British author in the vein of authors like Aldiss. Jack Glass is a fantastic novel.

5. andy 28

Whip Donovan Adventures

After I saw an article about this in the torygraph a few years ago, and put some money in, I kept hoping that it would made it's funding target

https://unbound.com/books/whip-donovan

Perhaps it will now, though not in the way that I'd hoped.

6. lorisarvendu

The author of "STAN"

I admit to have read few of his novels, but his collections of short stories published by NEL (New English Library) definitely started me on my love for Science Fiction. He was the master of the weird and scary and his stories often took a 90 degree turn to the left. I was particularly impressed with the way he populated his future worlds with invented jargon, something I do myself in my own writing. Who but Aldiss could write a novel about aliens who fly wooden spaceships and like to wallow in their own faeces? ("The Dark Light Years")

7. Pat Harkin

He was the third author I ever met. Sadly missed.

As an aside - he died on his 92nd birthday. Does that make him 91 or 92 when he died? Because it's possible only 91 years, 364 days and a few hours had passed since his birth...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He was the third author I ever met. Sadly missed.

I thought Brian's death was on the day after his birthday?

Western cultures increment a birthday normalised to the time of 00:00 on the anniversary of the day of birth. See video of Kevin's transition to a teenager.

Other cultures may still increment everyone's age on a single universal day in the year - apparently as is done for horses.

8. Buzz Buzz Buzz

There are good current authors!

Brian Aldiss was a great, no question. But there are many good and very interesting current Science Fiction writers, although it seems that one has to look much harder to find interesting stuff than in my youth when I began reading SF with E. E. Doc Smith.

Part of the challenge is that the "Future isn't what it was cracked up to be" which is to say that convincing extrapolation has been slow to emerge from our current starting point. Gibson was great for the 80's but seems somewhat distant from today's reality, much in the way that the great space opera's of the 50's now seem more like fantasy than SF. Gibson really influenced several generations of writers, game producers, and movie makers with his dystopic vision for the world, but a lot of the assumptions don't ring as true for me as they used to. For some stimulating present day extrapolations try David Brin, Greg Bear, Neal Stephenson, Cory Doctorow, or China Miéville.

9. JayEmmay

New authors

For interesting current authors I'd add Dan Abnett - much of his work is set in 40K universe but it's all about people. If the setting puts you off try Embedded.

10. tiggity Silver badge

SF History

And of course Aldiss wrote some very good non fiction works on the history of SF, he was keen on studying the genre he (mainly) wrote.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A table of the greats

Didn't El Reg publish or build a list a while back of the best SF books that had never been made into films?

That might be a good place to start.

There is also the SF Masterworks editions that appear in book shops and libraries (if anyone remembers them).

12. armyknife

Damn,

A great writer and a decent man, he said to me his favourite work was the Helliconia trilogy; I shall re-read it as a mark of remembrance.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon