back to article GoDaddy gives white supremacist site its marching orders after Charlottesville slur

Domain name retailer and hosting outfit GoDaddy has given a right wing web site that describes itself as “The World's Most Genocidal Republican Website” 24 hours to find a new hosting company. GoDaddy's decision came after activists pointed out that a site called The Daily Stormer made extraordinarily vulgar and disparaging …

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Cloudflare

Thumbs down for The Register supporting a proud service provider to e-mail scammers, fake pharma web sites, fake solar installer web sites, telemarketing scams, and pro-violence groups

Thumbs down to you for using the internet - a provider to e-mail scammers, fake pharma web sites, fake solar installer web sites, telemarketing scams, and pro-violence groups.

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

It seems to have been hacked by Anonymous now

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like Anonymous have got to it... claim to have all the content and control of the site.

1. WaveyDavey

There are rumblings

and strong suspicions that the site made up the Anon post to disguise the fact that 24h notice given by GoDaddy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There are rumblings

"and strong suspicions that the site made up the Anon post to disguise the fact that 24h notice given by GoDaddy."

This seems to be supported by Anon's "official" twitter account saying it wasn't them.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: There are rumblings

I thought the whole point on anon was that it's a random bunch of people without any centralised control?

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

Brown plague

So it takes 70 years to forget why 60 000 000 people died.... "Sad" like would tweets Trumpy the clown, if he wasn't on the side of the Nazi scum.

1. Hans 1
      Happy

Re: Brown plague

@Potemkine

Remember, Godwin's law is always brought up by racist or patriotic scum ... you cannot really defend the Nazis, so you have kick into touch ...

1. Marshalltown

Re: Brown plague

No, you don't want to defend Nazis, but you do want to know who they are, along with all the other --ists with extreme ambitions. So, let them talk. The labels they create are what they themselves are wearing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought it was Stormfront...

Lots of tinfoil-hats on that site, plus a lot of vitriol and the such. Not a nice site.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Miss Lincolnshire

The hats are more Stahlhelm than tin foil.

Why do white supremacists always seem to be obese, scruffy, poorly educated and plastered in tatts?

Aryan race has let itself go a bit.

1. Sargs

As an obese, scruffy, poorly edumacated white guy, I suddenly feel to get a tattoo that says "ONLY SUPERFICIALLY A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING". :(

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Why do white supremacists always seem to be obese, scruffy, poorly educated and plastered in tatts?"
        Because they're trying to blend in with the hoi poloi? I see lotsa tatts, new jeans in shop windows with the knees already worn out and mucho obesity?

I've actually contemplated getting one discrete tattoo on my forearm. A heart with an arrow through it and the words: "Born to raise tomatoes" underneath.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

couldn't happen

to nicer people.

that said, it'll just give them fuel re. worldwide (hell, inter-galactic) jewish/leftist/whatever conspiracy, etc.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: couldn't happen

It doesn't matter what happens, anything will be twisted to show they are martyrs for the cause.

Over here, Brittin Furzsts lead clowns are desperate to get nicked again, they love to be 'persecuted'. "Look, look what the big nasty man is doing to us patriots!!"

6. Gordon Pryra

Looks like the Russian investment is paying off

Good old Trump.

Dunno what his day rate is to Rus.Gov, but hes worth every bit of it.

Hes managed to turn America from a word power with some respect into "Western Korea"

gg

1. Chris G

Re: Looks like the Russian investment is paying off

I think the rot began to set in well before the jaffa (large thick skinned orange) got in, maybe as long as Geedub or Clinton.

Roads, rail, health, increasing poverty and 1% of the population in prison.

I would defend anyone's right to an opinion but crowing about the death of a woman with an opposing view is not freedom of speech, it's a demonstration of low intellect and education.

I find it ironic that racists and misogynists are often the lowest common denominator but think they are better than everyone else.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I think the rot began to set in well before the jaffa (large thick skinned orange) got in, maybe as long as Geedub or Clinton."

You need to go a long way further back than that. The USA finally cast off on this voyage to the extremes back in 1980 after various attempts since 1968

2. Geoffrey W

RE "thick skinned orange"

I would describe him as more of a Valencia (ie Thin Skinned Orange). I really hope he's enjoying his victory so far. Can he spell Pyrrhic?

1. Blank Reg

"Can he spell Pyrrhic?"

It doesn't matter whether or not he can spell it, he has no idea what it means

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thick skinned? Surely you jest

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Jest? No, just taking the pith.

2. MAF

No - surely you zest...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Down voted for being laughably melodramatic.

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Headmaster

Back in the old days the Soviet Union killed more bloody fascists than anyone else (helped by Hitler's less than educated attempt to invade Russia during the winter).

Now they're teaming up with them.

7. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

Very sad

Firstly, condolences to the family of Heather Heyer, truly a martyr for peace and freedom.

Secondly, I cannot express here how much I detest Trump. I'll be be polite and just say that he is an obnoxious arsehole.

Thirdly, Putin must be laughing himself to sleep every night. For minimal cost he has managed to destabilise the USA and the EU. If he wants to create civil war in the USA all he has to do now is assassinate Trump and make it look like a Muslim, Democrat or Mexican was the culprit.

Enjoy time with your family, I fear we don't have much of it left :(

8. Naselus

Odd how El Reg's own set of Trump supporting commentards are weirdly quiet this morning. I do look forward to seeing how they try and make this out to be Clinton/Obama/Globalists/any random gay frog's fault.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wait for their time zones to kick in.

2. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

RE "Trump supporting commentards are weirdly quiet this......"

If you take a look at most of the downvote pattern on this thread I think that we can conclude that they are indeed here, just hiding in the underbrush.

9. LesB
    Thumb Up

Talking of Godwin's Law

Mike Godwin has spoken:

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/896884949634232320

10. ukgnome

The hate site currently has a possible fake page claiming Anonymous has taken it down.

Don't be fooled by this - the Reg is the only site that seems to have it right and that GoDaddy and Cloud flare have indeed given these pricks 24 hours to GTFO

Yesterday th3j3st3r on twitter was posting there was nothing that he/she could do due to cloudflare so the whole anon thing is click bait BS

Either way though - well done to GoDaddy for finally taking a stand.

11. Snorlax Silver badge

What's the real cost of free speech?

"What about muh first amendment rights?" crowed the nazis.

Can Twitter please follow GoDaddy's example and get rid of that fuckwit @realdonaldtrump?

12. Starace

Seems fair enough

I'm just surprised it was this that finally made them take action, it's not like that site was exactly full of peace & love before. I guess press exposure forced their hand.

The Airbnb action seems a bit harder to justify on the face of it, any more details? Are they going after specific people they don't like or is it more of a political statement and if so how are they bounding it?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Seems fair enough

" The Airbnb action seems a bit harder to justify on the face of it, any more details? "

They have an active policy of not tolerating discrimination on the part of hosts or clients.

13. Old Englishman

Political censorship is unacceptable, no matter who does it, and no matter who the victim is.

Only idiots cheer actions like this.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Then I will wear my idiot label with pride.

If you feel political censorship is always unacceptable I'd suggest a little thought experiment: try to imagine any political group from, say, the last hundred years that history shows should have been shut down by any means possible, including censorship. If you can't find at least one, you're not trying. Start with Isis beheading videos if you're struggling.

Politics does not exist in a vacuum, and truly abhorrant behaviour should never be tolerated in the name of free speech.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its not political censorship. Its T&C. If you are lucky, you have the right to freedom to express your opinion without interference from your government. That is not the same as freedom from consequences. GoDaddy is a commercial venture and a service supplier to them with an agreed contract. GoDaddy is not preventing them from having a website, not restricting any of their liberties - they are simply not in compliance with their terms and conditions and are now free to find another business partner.

And, this race thing has been going on for a lot longer than people might remember. I was in the USA for Clinton B and OJ and even back then this stuff was brewing under the surface. As an 'educated' European I was quite shocked at what I saw and heard and the opinions of the guys I worked with (tradesmen mostly, lots of gun-racks in pick-ups, confed flags, insane opinions parroted from Rush Limbaugh etc). I have been telling those who would listen since then that the best way to understand the USA is to imagine they spoke arabic and then see how they look, with their xenophobic war-mongering, gas chambers, thug cops, uncaring government and borderline idiot population.

At least Trump has at last liberated the EU from its instinctive ties to the USA. The EU has seen the danger, that history is not yet over, and its sad that the UK is leaving just when the EU needs the UK the most. Brexit will not be kind to the UK.

3. Snorlax Silver badge

@Old Englishman

@Old Englishman: "Political censorship is unacceptable, no matter who does it, and no matter who the victim is.

Only idiots cheer actions like this.

Piss off. This isn't political censorship. Crying "censorship!!" is a limp-dick excuse.

In this case a publisher is doing the responsible thing and removing these scumbags from their servers. GoDaddy is under no obligation to facilitate their first amendment rights. These nazis can start their own web server somewhere...

Americans have some very strange ideas about freedom of speech - it's usually something along the lines of "I have a right to say whatever I want, and you might too if I agree with you". Seems to be working out just great for them at the minute - polo-shirt wearing nazis squaring up against the antifa while President Cheeto does his best to start a nuclear war via Twitter.

Most civilised countries, however, realise that there are limits to what can be regarded as free speech.

For instance, your right to express yourself doesn't come before another person's right not to be targeted by whatever bullshit ideology you may subscribe to. Have a read of Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights sometime...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Old Englishman

With free speech comes responsibility for what you're saying; how you're saying it; and who you're saying it to. And part of that responsibility is accepting consequences. A concept, alas, that many people -especially politicians- don't seem to be able to grasp.

4. Florida1920

Political censorship is unacceptable, no matter who does it, and no matter who the victim is.

Obligatory xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1357/

5. Geoffrey W

@Old Englishman

Did you bother reading the site and the story they did about the woman killed, Heather Heyer, which finally got them kicked off their host? The site is still there so either go daddy hasn't chucked them yet or they found another daddy. The story is nothing to do with politics so no political censorship is involved. Its pure nastiness and lack of empathy or human feeling. I hate quoting anything from it but, to give an illustrative taste, they say the incident was a temporary road rage incident and she was too fat to jump out of the way, and it had nothing to do with white supremacy. Even if she was fat, and she isn't, it's still a revolting thing to say, and that wasn't all they said about her, and they deserve whatever happens to them. If even the great Godwin himself says, Please, call them Nazis, then fuck em.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They (godaddy) took the high road and gave them 24 hours to shove off kindly. I'd probably have redirected their domain to something ... fun, but then again, that's why I don't willfully hold positions of any substantial power.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>They (godaddy) took the high road

Well - there's a first time for everything..

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do most commenters instantly assume that pro-Brexit = Racist? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's an overlap. Maybe even a weighted overlap. But I know quite a lot of Brexiters who wanted to pull out for other reasons. One friend of mine just wanted fluctuations in forex to trade on, and another wants some sort of trade union with Canada... :)

1. Geoffrey W

I'm not sure that risking ruination of a whole country just to benefit from a bit of financial trading is much better a reason than racism.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, here it is commonly known that not all republicans are racist, but all racists are republicans.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You also have to consider the impression the whole thing gave people in Europe. If a non-Brit European sees two Brits they see 1½ racists.

15. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The clue was in the name, all the time.

16. Rick594

Looks like The Daily Stormer is under control of Anonymous at the mo.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon