nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
70% of Windows 10 users are totally happy with our big telemetry slurp, beams Microsoft

Re: No need to change the default settings! Erase all of WIN 10

Shortcut

KdenLive

Open Broadcast Studio (limited editing, but still it is there)

To name but three of the myriad of video editors available on the Linux platform.

Silver badge

"Oh, I'm also legally blind in one eye."

Is it possible to be Illegally blind?

My only potential issue with darktable is printing. I've not had a chance to test the print module, but would be interested to see how effective it is.

Silver badge

"I call it blackmail

That's not the model they use. If your windows is unlicensed it switches to annoy the hell out of you mode but you can still access your data. Ditto cloud storage switches to read only if you are over your limit....

Silver badge

"But for consumers it's not

Not as yet. Obviously my comment was referring to a future rental only model. Which as per my comment is probably a good thing for Linux fans as it would potentially remove any upfront OS costs from hardware, whilst still letting manufacturers ship an installed OS with crapware that subsidises the hardware costs...

Silver badge

"I got my copy free."

You got a free upgrade to an already licenced OS, so you paid originally. I would say anyone that hasn't upgraded probably qualifies as you must have been blind to miss all the pop ups they inflicted on you....

Silver badge

"they saw that the Linux-equipped model cost more, not less, than the standard Windows version."

A relative worked for Dell and he tells me there were three reasons for that with systems targetted at consumers - a) Linux got more support calls - that might not be what you would expect but apparently was the case, b) it costs X to build, manage, release drivers for and update an OS image and this cost was washed across a relatively low number of systems with Linux, and c) consumer Pcs with Windows on have crapware installed that subsidises the cost....

Silver badge

"It's sad that most corporates pay for Windows included with their new PCs, then pay for it again under their enterprise license agreements."

No they don't. You get a specific discount to cover Pcs that come with an OEM license on your ELA.

Anonymous Coward

Its hardly implicitly criticising

more the inevitable wittering on of the penguinistas

ITS SO TEDIOUS

Anonymous Coward

"I buy Dell OptiPlex desktops many dozens at a time, directly from Dell with Ubuntu instead of Windows. Typically shaves about 10% off the order cost. And yes, we use Ubuntu on them in production."

But then you do need to pay $150 a year / PC for Ubuntu support with a minimum quantity of 50. Which over any time period of more than a few years costs you more than Windows 10 + Software Assurance + the saving on the desktop. I do appreciate that obviously you didn't want Windows, but it's not quite as great as you made it sound!

Re: Video Editing

OBS is streaming software not a video editor

KdenLive is probably an OK alternative to Windows Movie Maker

As far as I'm aware the only NLE for Linux is Cinelerra, and that's a bitch to set up and get running, crashes constantly and has an even more obtuse interface than GIMP used to. I don't think is still being developed either.

"As far as I'm aware the only NLE for Linux is Cinelerra,"

That's interesting as to quote the Kdenlive manual : "Kdenlive is an acronym for KDE Non-Linear Video Editor "

https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual

Anonymous Coward

'It's sad that most corporates pay for Windows included '

We do buy PCs without any operating system preinstalled. Then install licenses from our license pools (Windows, RedHat, VMWare...)

B2B sales channels offer them. It's just the consumer sales channels that make harder finding models sold without a pre-installed OS, but those who sell "assembled" desktops.

Which makes me wonder how many here really work in a business environment, and how many write just knowing what their local mall sells.

Anonymous Coward

Windows Movie Maker too is non linear, but it's still very limited, and good for some amateurish video. kdenlive is more or less at the same level.

When the main editing suites are from Avid, DaVinci, Adobe and Apple, AFAIK only DaVinci is supported on Linux, but only on very specific certified hardware.

Those are the tools you will find in pro environment. Other tools mey be OK for your personal or indy projects, but do not expect them to be used where money matters.

"Those are the tools you will find in pro environment. Other tools mey be OK for your personal or indy projects, but do not expect them to be used where money matters."

I didn't realise that the topic discussed in this sub-thread was money. I thought it was video software for Linux.

So, professional video software then - well let's guess what Pixar and Dreamworks use for their operating system.

<hint :One thing that all of the larger studios have in common is they use Linux as their operating system. >

8. Never be able to do any useful work.

9. Hide behind the sofa (you must have done something bad to be worried about your data being slurped)

Listen up Linux punks.

I have three PCs on my desk two Windows 10 and one Linux Mint. I am an IT professional and never play games and I do not do video processing either. Every time a new distro airs I try it 'cos I would love any distro to be useable. I have tried them all and they are not useable on any level. If you can get them installed they are all like going back twenty years and generally have an amateur feel. On the few occasions I have suggested Linux to customers they have all swapped back to Windows PDQ.

I have no axe to grind with Linux but please please stop bleating on about Linux as if it is a rival to Windows, IT AIN'T and will never be.

The down vote button is the one on the right (just to help Linux punks find it)

@ EVMonster

Thank you for joining the Register today . (You really, (no really ) would not believe how many Linux bashers are like you) Glad you are a IT professional?. I've been using Linux since ~1995, quite a lot of the time professionally with a major pharma ( but there again I'm NOT an IT professional) just a user.

(Oh,please !!)

Why do you have a Mint desktop ?

Anonymous Coward

"MS has made no secret that they want to move to the OS as a service "

They are already heading that way with Windows 10 S. Which amusingly completely screws over Google.

With Windows 10S, you can only install apps from the Windows Store, and one of the requirements for that is that you must use Microsoft's HTML and JavaScript engines. So no Chrome!

Anonymous Coward

> But then you do need to pay $150 a year / PC for Ubuntu support with a minimum quantity of 50. Which over any time period of more than a few years costs you more than Windows 10 + Software Assurance + the saving on the desktop.

Incorrect - we don't need to pay anything in ongoing support costs. If we did then we don't need to pay for everything anyway as just the base support price to cover a small hardware sample in the lab is more than sufficient to reproduce any issues - the fixes can then be distributed more widely. We haven't actually needed to do that yet though, but the option is there if needed. There are also other commercial support options other then Canonical.

I wasn't pitching TCO either - that's a different issue and something that's not simple to quantify or compare. I'm just merely stating that the purchase cost is slightly lower, not higher as some folks suggested above.

Anonymous Coward

Pixar and other 3D animation studios develop their own software, and they don't have video footage taken with cameras, they have just rendered images. Linux clusters for such tasks make sense.

But what they use for the final editing? For example, Disney for 'the Force awakens' used Avid tools. I'm sure most of the CGI rendering has been done on Linux, but the editing has been done on Avid, and that means Apple or Windows.

Editing video footage shot with cameras is a different job. And like any professional job, money matters. Subpar tools with subpar support for cameras and editing devices are not what you're looking for. The price for the tools are just a small fraction of the overall expenses, but the time wasted to achieve the desired result can be very, very expensive.

Take a trip, if you like, to the Canon new Burbank facility, where movie makers can test their equipment and edit on the tools their used to, and see what's in use.

"Linux-equipped model cost more, not less, than the standard Windows version..."

Around these parts y'all can get Linux Dells for $50 less than Windows. One of the few perks for living in 'Murica.

You won! Thanks for sharing the clue only you seem to have. I thought everyone knew about Microsoft subscription plans. They're trying to seed copies of Virus10 on as many machines as possible and deserve a stinging rebuke before the harvest begins.

Why hand over your computer and your personal data to the thieves at Microsoft?

Try GIMP - it also works on Windows so you can try it out, but it works better and has more features on Linux. gimp.org

Hi - I got an ASUS 540S for US$199 - they were about to take it off the shelf, and tried to not sell it to me at that price. This was BestBuy. It took all day for me to complete the purchase, because they cocked up the processing of my card, then reported me for fraud. After I called my bank, the regional head of their electronics department personally apologized and helped me escape. One of the employees is no longer there.

I have never seen this laptop so cheap anywhere, before or since. I'm using it now, just about exactly a year later - it has a full year parts and labor warranty, btw, almost expired - and nothing is ever sent to Redmond Washington or their collaborators at Ft. Meade.

David Roknich

"the future of radio belongs to us"

indyradio.info

Then you can be a regular trainer for their AI and hand over all of your personal and biological data to Microsoft every time you touch your machine. Great idea!

If you really understand video editing, and your hardware, linux is tops for video editing, but yes, it's a learning process.

"Many of us want to run all the latest games and / or an Office suite that actually works though so Windows 10 is then a requirement."

Things that run on Windows 7....

Other than running them elsewhere, vote with your money. Stop buying games until they release them for Linux. I absolutely will not buy any game that requires Windows 10. I don't care how good people insist the game might be, no game is worth installing Windows 10.

Silver badge

Re: "Should have gone to System76"

...or Dell or HP, like the one I have.

Still not going there

Win 10 is currently what I have to use at work, and to be honest, as an OS it works fine despite the schizophrenia that is control panel (two different places, still?)

But on my own PCs (personal or business) I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. The data collection policies of Microsoft are just too much like malware. Give me the option to completely turn it off, and proveably so, and to be able to permanently reject unwanted updates, and I'd happily reconsider.

Until then it's Linux Mint, and VMs with older MS OSes (if only I could get the updates to install properly on them without 100% svchost.exe usage for days on end).

As for the 70% accepting full telemetry, I doubt many of them even know that they're sending data to MS. Of those that do and keep the setting at maximum, they've probably bought into the Cortana thing, which requires way too much personal data to be shared with MS in order for it to work. Most people would probably be very uncomfortable with it if they really knew just where the data had to go in order for Cortana to work.

Re: Still not going there

Windows 7 and 8 updates now contain telemetry - not as much as Windows 10 though.

Silver badge

"Windows 7 and 8 updates now contain telemetry - not as much as Windows 10 though."

Anyone smart enough to stop their system being "upgraded" to M$ Spyware10 should also have been smart enough to block the attempts to port the spyware onto Win7 - and possibly Win8.

As for the 70% being fine, the word you are looking for is sheeple; even when you tell them how much of their private data M$ is slurping, they either dont care, or dont believe you; besides, they have already given most of it to FarceBook, Twatter, and InstantGran.

The latest Win10 saga is that it is deleting and/or blocking programs without warning; several complaints every week on the LOTRO forums.

Gold badge

"Win 10 is currently what I have to use at work ..."

Me too. Speaking as a developer, there are an infinite number of non-default configurations that we can't test against but there is one default configuration that we can test against and if we don't then we look a bit foolish if that's a configuration that doesn't work. So all my test systems stick largely to the defaults. They also have no personal data on them, (and no source code, as it happens) so if MS want to slurp then there is nothing for them to find except for usage patterns that will skew their stats towards "None of your newly-introduced features are getting *any* usage whatsoever.".

So I am "several" of the 70%, despite switching the telemetry off on the systems I actually care about.

Easy enough to stop it on Windows 7 and 8, but it is integrated into Windows 10. there is software that say they stop it on windows 10, but I wonder if they really do.

Novex: "Until then it's Linux Mint, and VMs with older MS OSes (if only I could get the updates to install properly on them without 100% svchost.exe usage for days on end)."

If you're running Windows 7 in that VM, give Windows Quick Patch a try:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fixed-windows-7-sp1-never-ends-searching-for-updates.221756/

Bronze badge

29% Windows users

reported to Microsoft about how unhappy they are with the slurp in Windows 10. The remaining PC users pulled out the Windows 10 hard drive and directly threw it out the Window without reporting.

Re: 29% Windows users

If Microsoft were really confident that people are happy with telemetry, they would have it *off* by default. Because people would be happy to turn it on right?

Bronze badge
Alert

And some of us use microsoft-spying killer-software and a lot of router-firewall, domain-name, blocking-rules, ha!

Silver badge
Devil

29% of Windows users probably have non-linear minds, and as such, can't be so easily HERDED like the other 70%. Except for the remaining 1%, who are hackers and IT pros, that threw away the Win-10-nic license for something SANE.

(this is based on the assumption that ~1/3 of the population are non-linear-minded "creative/hunter" types, and the other ~2/3 are linear-minded "farmer" types - the percentages based on centuries of natural selection because farming is a more effective means of getting food than hunting/gathering, though the creative/hunter types are highly ADAPTABLE and as such fill _OTHER_ important roles in society like craftsmanship and ranching and military/police, and thus the relative percentages of these "classifications" of thinking patterns, either linear time-based 'farmer' thinking, or non-linear now-based 'creative/hunter' thinking - yeah, it's an old theory, the 'hunter/farmer' concept, but it works and explains a lot)

Silver badge
Joke

> this is based on the assumption that

Just need a gender assumption in there for the full google employee of the month award for gratuitous misdirection by science*

(Note icon...)

*-acknowledgement: D. Adams.

LDS
Silver badge

They should also all those who didn't upgrade for exactly the slurp features...

But do they work?

My experience with atechnical Windows 10 users is that they are typically blissfully unaware of Microsoft's data grabbing. A few will have chosen to turn off some options such that stop certain data being sent and will assume (wrongy) that their data is then secure. IMO, the majority of Microsoft's 70% are oblivious to the whole issue.

Irony

The Irony is without collecting this data they wouldn't be able to tell us how many installs had requested less data to be slurped.

What about those win10 installs that never hit the interwebs, or as some other posters have noted where a n other os is installed.

Anonymous Coward

MSFT and Facebook

The kings of slurp, way worse than Apple or Google, who are both transparent with what's collected and honest about rentention. I did a paper on some tests I did about data deletion and it's after affects, it was crystal clear that Google and Apple did the right thing and truly forgot me, but Facebook and Microsoft didn't. Even 3 years later, Facebook data is still retained about me, my IP address, and people I may know.. Microsoft are still using things it knew about me for advertising.

Anonymous Coward

Re: MSFT and Facebook

Google does seem more competent than MS with regards to slurping, so it's no wonder they're better at pretending they've forgotten you.

Silver badge

ISTR that data collection has been around a hell of a lot longer than either FaceAche or Microsoft or Google or or or . . .

It would be preferable if you could name ALL the guilty parties, thanks love.

Silver badge

"It would be preferable if you could name ALL the guilty parties"

Unfortunately the margin isn't big enough.

Anonymous Coward

"way worse than Apple or Google, who are both transparent with what's collected and honest about rentention"

LOL, Google are the king of slurp and way way worse than Microsoft for what they use your data for.

Anonymous Coward

Re: who are both transparent with what's collected and honest about rentention

Yeah, of course they are.

Anonymous Coward

I get tracked by MS when I use their OS, I get tracked by Google when I use pretty much any internet site, on any device that doesn't have no-script stopping Google Analytics and a cookie filter.

So explain to me again how MS are worse than Google.....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing