back to article Why can't you install Windows 10 Creators Update on your old Atom netbook? Because Intel stopped loving you

Microsoft has blamed Intel for the sad trail of low-end PCs left out of the Windows 10 Creators Update rollouts. The Redmond giant says its latest flavor of Windows can't support machines powered by Intel's Atom Cloverview processor family because Chipzilla has stopped supporting those chips. Without Intel providing firmware …

Page:

1. Pen-y-gors

Extended support

Manufacturers (or software and chips) seem to have decided that what they sell us is seriously life-limited. That may be okay for a consumable like cheese, but is not okay for something that could reasonably be expected to carry on doing its job for many years.

A simple netbook should be able to last for a decade or more, doing useful work.

What happens in 10, 15, 20 years when the hardware for the touchscreens in all these new cars needs upgrade or repair/replacement?

And it's not just Windows that has driver problems. A few years back I tried to install an Ubuntu upgrade on an old Shuttle PC. No chance - no drivers for the integrated graphics chip.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"And because Microsoft dislikes dealing with unnecessary support calls and complaints..."

SatNad, cutting costs for technical support and QA/testing, so he can pour more money into The Cloud.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "And because Microsoft dislikes dealing with unnecessary support calls and complaints..."

Sound business decision? What a twat. Should've given it all away and lived on the warm glow of superiority.

3. William 3 Bronze badge

CPU drivers?

Seriously?

Full of it.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: CPU drivers?

Apparently the problem is GPU drivers. Intel put a PowerVR GPU in some of the cloverview chips.

As always, do the research first, then stick to a "No source code, no sale" policy or the vendor controls when you "upgrade".

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: CPU drivers?

maybe not the CPU but the north/south bridge stuff, APICs and things like that. M-shaft probably doesn't want to bother with anything older than 2010, even if they have windows 7 code that could be ported...

(not saying that's GOOD but if they won't sell Win 7 then they're just being ELITIST ASSHATS about it)

4. Goit

Have they ever?

"Microsoft says it can't guarantee its OS will be able to work reliably"

Did anyone else have a proper nerd giggle at this statement?

5. steamnut

five-year-old silicon obsolete?

Are we going to accept that five-year-old silicon is obsolete? We cannot permit this to go unchallenged else the Wintel conspiracy will have to be factored into future IT budgets.

I install industrial systems that need to he 10 year lifespans. I had to dump XP some years ago after an Microsoft update did a post-install reset with no option to defer.

Now, Linux rules my waves and I am back in control but I still get calls from suppliers telling me that Win10 is the best way to go. Their "fear sell" usually follows the party line of "Linux has poor support, Windows is more secure etc etc" and, when I ask for written guarantees they usually just quote Microsoft documents and will never actually put their companies name to a legally binding document that I could use to sue them when the wheels fall off......

To be fair, some suppliers do offer Win10 embedded, but I already got burned there with stiff licence fees and very poor support unless you are a very large plc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: five-year-old silicon obsolete?

If they can force planned obsolescence in software (Vista SP2 is perfectly fine, but many software can't be updated to the latest version on Vista e.g. Google Chrome, Adobe Acrobat)...

...they can most definitely force planned obsolescence on hardware.

I thought we have evolved past the days of inkjet printer manufacturers putting a kill switch on ink cartridges to force users to buy (expensive) replacement cartridges.

Apparently not.

1. emullinsabq
          Coffee/keyboard

"The only reason i might upgrade a motherboard/processor now is to reduce the power consumption for the same tasks, if that is possible."

Exactly my situation. I long for a fanless quad ARM device that is comparable to my 10yo core2quad. I have no need for more oomph, what I want is something with no moving parts, has near-zero energy costs, and fits on the back of my monitor. It would be nice, but not required, if it also had some chip level opcodes to give me a zippy dosbox. At that point I have zero use for MS, AMD, Nvidia, and especially Intel.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I use a fanless laptop with an Intel N3540, which is much faster than all my Core 2 Duo devices (also laptop processors). I also have an SSD in this laptop, and 8GB RAM. Covers all my Internet related needs. (The SSD and RAM are upgrades to this cheap Acer. The screen is unimpressive though.)

This system handles HD video etc easily (not encoding, just watching), as opposed to Core 2 Duo which never got the correct drivers to do it well, I suspect.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. AnthonyP69

Rod for their own back

The point I see is Microsoft going back to change their stance on older versions of Windows 10 will not be supported, yet here we are they are already stating that they will now have to support older versions because of their own stupid push to try and turn a stable OS into a continuous changing mess.

The way they are going is they will have to be supporting at least 2 versions a year for the next 10 years, there goes their idea of a nice easy clean single version patching cycle!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. ForthIsNotDead

WTAF...

... is a CPU driver FFS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microcode

Google it.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: WTAF...

CPU driver:

Many CPUs have different instruction sets and capabilities. The driver abstracts that so the OS can use the features if they're there, emulate (or work around) if not.

10. Patrick R
    Windows

"As part of our commitment to customers..."

In other news:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/19/chap_fixes_microsofts_windows_7_and_8_update_block_on_new_cpus/

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that is disappointing news. My only Windows 10 machine is a convertible tablet with an Atom processor that's only one year and one generation newer than the Cloverview. I guess it'll be next up against the wall.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Well that is disappointing news.

Look on the bright side, it seems MS will be bringing Win10 Creators Update to Bay Trail (Valleyview) devices.

Looking at a Win10 (Valleyview) tablet this evening, it has finally displayed a review your privacy settings before update box.

It would be nice if MS does an update that lets people know that their (Cloverview) system won't be getting Creators Update - you never know it might encourage some to go out and buy new devices, possibly even a Surface...

12. Herby

It seems to me...

That if chipzilla doesn't want to do fixes to a chip, then they should hand over the capability to the user community so they can do the job. Of course it won't happen, because the chip has some proprietary stuff that is still used in current devices or some such legal talk (resolved to "NO").

If this keeps up, we will do CPUs as they do automobiles in Cuba. Just fix it.

I don't hold out much hope.

13. a_yank_lurker

Long Term Issue

Slurp has shown that it wants users to be running what they consider adequate hardware. I have no personal familiarity with the Atoms, but given that many are only about 3 years old they should have plenty of useful hardware life. So, saying Bloat 10 latest can not be installed smells of 'bait and switch' and forcing users to make a choice they should not even be considering. The fact Slurp has backed down somewhat makes one wonder if they understand the damage they are doing to their brand.

Every time Slurp does something like this it reinforces to many that are a despicable, sleazy, organization that will abuse their 'customers' at every chance. I have burned by Slurp's antics with Bloat 10 to the point that Bloat versions are kept around for specific applications that do not need Internet access. This just reinforces my decision to abandon Bloat and to avoid it permanently on any new kit in the future.

Will Slurp try something like this again in the near future?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like