back to article May the excessive force be with you: Chap cuffed after Star Trek v Star Wars row turns bloody

A bloke was arrested after a shouting match with a pal over Star Wars versus Star Trek led to blood being spilled. Jerome Dewayne Whyte, 23, was collared by Oklahoma police at 6pm on July 1 after he and his roommate argued about the relative merits of the snooty space opera versus the sci-fi merchandizing vehicle turned …

Page:

1. IT Hack

Re: No contest

> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

>Pfft! Firefly was best

That would be Blakes 7.

mic drop

1. LaeMing
            Boffin

ORAC saying "I am closing down. I have much to do. You have wasted my processing on your petty affairs for far too long." is my work PC's shutdown sound.

1. h4rm0ny

That's funny. Avon saying: "Have you considered amputation?" has been my default reply to anyone complaining of a headache to me for years.

Doesn't win me many friends, though. :(

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
                Pint

My wife doesn't appreciate it either.

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I tend to invoke the Tachyon Funnel

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

You have a computer with a shutdown sound? How quaint.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

You have a computer with a shutdown sound? How quaint.

With extra "rubber mallet to the head" points if it's a shared office..

2. LaeMing
                Linux

"You have a computer with a shutdown sound? How quaint."

Not as quaint as the 10-15 minutes it takes to boot to a usable state in the morning (Commercial OS, of course: My home Linux box of older hardware boots up from cold - including > equivalent start-up software - in about 28 seconds).

But work pays me to use the tools they provide.

2. Paul 129
            Terminator

>> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

>> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

>>Pfft! Firefly was best

>That would be Blakes 7.

>mic drop

Sigh, I must be the only one who liked Caprica

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Space Above And Beyond.

Never actually watched it but I wanted to throw something new into the mix.

1. MJI Silver badge

SAAB was actually pretty good, I just wanted series 2

2. 0laf

I rewatched it recently, some of it is very clunky but it was starting to show promise just as it was canned (like many things) and Kristen Cloke did terrible things to my teenage hormones.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Sigh, I must be the only one who liked Caprica

Did you forget to tick 'Post Anonymously'?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Any B7 fans out there need to watch the spoof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWuTeR7xCU4

Orac saying 'are we there yet' in a plaintive voice gets me every time :) Very much like the time he was interrupted and said 'but what about the game?' even though imminent danger was looming :)

Some of the best (and possibly worst) lines ever written were in B7.

1. h4rm0ny

I reckon I can top that:

Star Wrek (Full Movie)

Captain Pirk meets Commander Sherrypie. Affectionately sends up both B5 and ST at the same time. Worth it for the AMI Bios boot screen gag alone.

2. Paul 129
                Happy

I have no shame ;-)

2. I Like Heckling Silver badge

You're all forgetting Farscape which was on par with most of the top rated suggestions... and if you mention muppets I'll frelling kick you in the mevonks. :P

1. d3rrial

You guys have clearly never watched Lexx which is superior to all other things you posted.

1. h4rm0ny

I discovered Lexx late at night on Channel 4 many, many years ago. It was the first episode and the moment a computer glitch switched the fates of a wanted terrorist with an assembly of school children who had arrived for an award ceremony, I knew I had to watch all of it. It's on Amazon Prime at the moment so I re-watched it the first couple of episodes. And guess what - the sight of a bunch of smug school children being sentenced to death by lizard still makes me laugh.

Honestly, neither Star Wars (no science), nor Star Treck (awful science) come close to the holy trinity of space nonsense that are Babylon 5, Blake 7 and Lexx.

2. Gurhurk

My wife (not a nerd) called Farscape "Muppet in a bucket". My own view of it never recovered from hearing that

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Talk about pissing contests! BSG2 only made it on the air because they pitched it as "just as good" as B5 but with lots more sex sex sex. With sex added they got a decent budget, unlike B5 which limped along on back-of-sofa funds. Talk about oily robotic action series and vehicles for washed up actors! "Hey, let's get Xena! That'll help our ratings!"

You get more with a kind word and a two-by-four and splashy SEX than with just a kind word and a plot.

(Me, bitter? Naah. "So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.")

(Oh, god, I'm defending a ~20 year-old against a ~13 year-old TV series. Well, that's better than defending the first trilogy Gah!)

1. Steve Taylor 3

> Oh, god, I'm defending a ~20 year-old against a ~13 year-old TV series.

Worse yet, you're knocking Xena. And this whole article's about fighting words in nerd land!

1. james 68

Nope.

Red Dwarf for the win. Smeg all the others.

1. David 132 Silver badge
              Happy

Red Dwarf for the win. Smeg all the others.

And its near-cousin, Hyperdrive.

"You have done a bad thing. We are going to re-habilitate you.

Watch the kitten. She does not question authority! Be like the happy kitten!

And look! Another kitten, sitting in a hat! What a lovely world it is where kittens can sit in hats!"

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

stargate sg-1 and atlantis

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Stargate, brilliant.

Stargate atlantis, utter drivel.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I prefer Firefly as best Scifi series, which certainly got cancelled before it's time. Stargate SG-1 was good too, SG:Atlantis had its moments but sometimes felt a little too grandiose for it's own good. SG:U started off terrible but worked it's way up to being actually quite good by the time it got cancelled and IMHO should have been given atleast 1 more season.

Star Wars as a series of movies isn't all that terrible, but a little pompous at times and terrible at others. Star Trek introduced a lot of the now standard elements of Scifi but there are many, many terrible, horrible stories/episodes offset against the good ones and the acting is not always that great either imho. A bit like watching old Dr. Who at times. Wobbly sets and all.

Babylon5, DS9, etc I've never even seen, so can't comment.

2. Franco

Go to purple alert!

Are you sure Sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Worse yet, you're knocking Xena.

Which (in my book) is a Good ThingTM

Yes - Lucy Lawless is a good actor. Yes - some of the special effects were OK. But wholesale stealing and mushing together of various myths and histories?

Nauseating.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Battlestar Galactica.

Or "Eastenders in Space" as it's otherwise known. More soap opera than space opera.

1. tfewster

Question 3

x The one with 7 of 9 in it

1. Chris G

Re: Question 3

My exact thought; Star wars; Princess Leia, Star Trek; 7 of 9!

In addition Star Wars was a Hollywood epic from day 1, Trek was a low budget TV series that took its time to win the hearts and minds of its followers, it was cheesy but nevertheless raised issues, asked questions and was, for it's day very multicultural and quite egalitarian. It was closer to real sci-fi, in my opinion SW is more sci-fantasy with the force and hi-tech beings battling with swords, even if they are hi-tech swords.

Oh, I don't much like fluffy cuddly warriors or (the real killer for SW) any franchise that could introduce a JarJarBinks.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The one with 7 of 9 in it"

That's Google surely.... .

1. Aladdin Sane

It's all about H2G2.

"I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side..."

2. DarkLordofSurrey

Was it a Darth Vader choke or a Vulcan neck pinch?

And before he passed out did he say "You have been and always will be my friend..." or "You already have, Jerome. You were right. You were right about me... "

3. iRadiate

You're a trick.

Is that really an insult?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

That's what I came here to ask too. Someone calling me "a trick" is more likely to leave me standing their a bit non-plussed, not turn me into a psychotic homicidal maniac.

2. Mark York 3 Silver badge

Up a tree!

You missed something.

4. ChubbyBehemoth
    Mushroom

Trick

The Next Generation? WTF!!! That's not Star Trek!

Oh,.. you can leave it blank...

5. John Gamble

Nice picture choice. The only thing that would make it better is if you Photoshopped the Stargate behind them.

1. LaeMing
      Alien

I think I would have to vote Stargate simply because they never took themselves so seriously (well, except Universe, and we all know how that turned out!).

2. Haku
      1. Haku

Re: Challenge accepted.

Whilst I'm on the subject of TV show mashups, an old picture I made:

haku.co.uk/b3ta/KnightTeamTrek.jpg

"I aint getting in no transporter, fool!"

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"I aint getting in no transporter, fool!"

No, you really shouldn't!

1. Haku

Hadn't seen that video before, I liked it.

But the possible reality of an actual working transporter is far far scarier than accidentally merging two entities together.

Sleep tight!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

haku.co.uk/b3ta/KnightTeamTrek.jpg

I can't quite work out why that's as funny as it is.

6. kain preacher

motherfuckingbastards. Every one knows DS9 was the best sci fi show ever. Well after fire fly that is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mission

DS9 - Its five year mission; to stay where it is and wait for people to visit.

1. joeW

Re: Mission

"Sisko's on a mission

To go no bloody place

He loiters on a space station

Above Bajoran space

The wormhole's opened up and now

They come from near and far

We'll keep the booze but please send back

The fucking Jem-hadar!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieccm5PWA1I

2. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Whilst I actually agree that DS9 was (so far) the best of the Star Trek series... it's still way short of shows like Firefly, Farscape, Babylon 5 and so forth. It's on par with SG1, BSG...

What I'm more interested in is what people think are the 'Worst' shows of the last 30yrs... that's sure to cause a few fisticuffs. :)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon