back to article Virgin Media admits it 'fell short' in broadband speeds ahead of lashing from BBC's Watchdog

Virgin Media has admitted it "fell short" in delivering broadband speeds ahead of a BBC Watchdog report due to air tonight which found customers in some areas receive 3 per cent of the 200Mbps speed they were originally sold. A letter from executive sales director Neil Bartholomew, seen by The Register, said: "Customers trust …

Page:

1. DrRobert

THAN The word is than

1. Roj Blake Silver badge
        Headmaster

If you're going to pull someone up on their spelling or grammar, please try to at least use punctuation.

1. lordphil

It's coming!

Pfffff! You're all so lucky!! I just tried the Ookla test (http;//beta.speedtest.net) and it shows out here in the middle of nowhere eastern France, we have a ping of 45ms, download 2.11Mbps and upload 0.88Mbps, plenty of outages and slow-to-render pages (even with AdBlockPlus). Served by Orange - the ONLY provider in these parts unfortunately.

HOWEVER, this last fortnight the road in our village (33 residents) has been trenched out and ducting laid for fibre - Yay! - as part of countywide (Département-wide) aim of fibre to all citizens by 2020. Our village was due for 2017 and here it is! I think someone was threading the fibre through a couple of days ago so I await for the actual connection :)))

lordphil

1. eJ2095

Re: It's coming!

Try ublock origin much better then adblockplus

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virgin have a monopoly on cable

Open cable to other ISPs.

Competition can encourage improved performance.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Virgin have a monopoly on cable

I'm not sure that would help. AFAIK, VM have plenty of backbone/trunk capacity and sell access to that. But the problem is overselling the local network in some areas, so I don't see how selling access to that for other ISPs would make things better. No one else is going to dig their own access from the street cabs or the headends and as yet, BT are not allowing access to their poles or ducting.

2. David Neil

Why should they be forced to open it up, it was built with their money, not public funds

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" it was built with their money, not public funds"

That's not strictly true if you take into account the tax breaks given and the prevention of the UK's duopoly (at the time) operators from being allowed to play.

3. bexley

absurdly over subscribed

I amm all for network efficiency but virgin take the piss. Im making these numbers up but i suspect that they are not far off.

local network segment can support 20 customers at advertised speeds. they sell it to 200 customers and attempt to make it all fit by packet shaping, throttling? unfair use and peak time capping.

all of this rendered my vm 50Mbps connection unusable unless i set an alarm for 3am and stayed up till 9am.

the underhanded way they do it annoys me, all of the speed test sites seem to be exempt from their rules and it does take a bit of know how to identify the problem.

i have never before nor sinve experienced such a farcical network connection service in all my days. i bailed as a result of moving house.

I now have 150Mbps with none of the above rubbish, it works all of time peaktime or not, no bandwidth caps or fair use crap for 30 euro a month.

and they install brand new coax from the cabinet to my house. I had to move countries to get it though. The Netherlands may have its problems but internet access is not one of them.

4. Andy Livingstone

says it all

"A letter from executive sales director Neil Bartholomew, seen by The Register, said: "Customers trust Virgin Media "

Yup...............................................

5. eJ2095

VM

The trick is dont sleep and you get your full bandwidth.......at 3am

6. a_mu

But will they listen ? 200 Mb or 100 Mb

I was on 100 Mb, got 'crap' speeds,

paid more, got 200 Mb , get crap , but nearer to the 100 mark than before,

No change in my end, just the virgin software and network.

So why should I pay for 200, when I can only get around 100, and its purely the virgin software thats controlling the speed, not the link.

7. grizzly

"fell short of the high standards we set for ourselves"

Hardly high though are they Mr Bartholomew? Take upload speeds, Virgin's package that is priced the same as the cheapest Ultrafast Fibre (BT OpenReach's top fibre) package is 7 (seven), that's SEVEN times slower. I know because, as a long-time Virgin customer whose contract was ending, I shopped around recently before realising quite how uncompetitive Virgin are on speed (where it matters) and dumping them. To get the same upload speed (up to 20mb), you must get Virgin's 200 or 300mb packages that are vastly more expensive. Virgin are still pretending we're in a pre-cloud world where people don't upload most of their data. 100 or 300Mbps isn't a hill of beans to most people, 3mb to 20mb upload speed however is a transformative experience.

8. MT Field
    Windows

They came to where I live

But we need a landline phone and that's not part of their offering. We need a landline phone because .... you guessed it, the mobile coverage out here sucks. So we are still with BT and 7Mb/s.

Ooh argh etc.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like