back to article You'll soon be buying bulgur wheat salad* from Amazon, after it swallowed Whole Foods

Today, Amazon announced it will be acquiring the devilishly expensive Whole Foods Market to the tune of $13.7bn. “Millions of people love Whole Foods Market because they offer the best natural and organic foods, and they make it fun to eat healthy,” said health-conscious Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos in a statement. The transaction …

Page:

1. Simon Rockman

Amazon selling food

I thought Amazon's preferred offering was spam.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

18 for ramen and sprite

There are more weebs here than I anticipated.

1. Swarthy

Re: 18 for ramen and sprite

Oops. I had read that as Ramen and Spite. Which is what I lived on for the majority of my early 20s.

3. Reg T.

I don't buy anything else from the CIA cuck,

why would I start buying food from the little bald chap? Just another oligarch, folks - move along.

For those who had to shop at the G.U.M. store, this is a familiar turn of events. Soon comes The Wall and all you East German fockers will be safe in your enclosure.

4. ad47uk

never heard of them

Whole foods that is not Amazon,

but nope, I do not think I will bother.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure I'd call Whole Foods a luxury retailer

In my experience they sit somewhere between Sainsbury and Waitrose. The branch I used stocked some surprisingly decent Texan wine (I was in Dallas at the time). They did good soup, but then again the US is the land of soup and honey.

1. Charles 9

Re: Not sure I'd call Whole Foods a luxury retailer

Not so much a luxury retailer as a boutique retailer: as in catering to a specific segment of the public.

1. JLV

Or just an expensive-for-what-it-is retailer.

Seriously, I don't mind the occasional pricey foodie splurge. High end cheese, pate, meat, pastry, fresh prawns.... You know those stores. You know the stuff that tastes so good but is likely not super healthy and nukes your budget.

Whole Foods has never ever tempted me the least. The food might be healthy, and certainly $$$$$, but it's a gouge for hipster dupes and tree huggers and hardly very sinfully tasty. Easy to resist :)

Canada has only 13 WHs and Vancouver's stuck with nearly half of them :( Then again we're also carrying an unfair proportion of this country's hipsters and vegans. Anybody want some?

1. Alistair
          Pint

@ JLV - Nope nope nope. Us central canucks believe that you have a whole damned ocean over there to hide the bodies in. Please keep the Whole Foods crowd at that end. Just spend more time nudging them off the bridges.

I find Galen W's "SuperStore" pricey but quite good. At least I'm *sorta* keeping the money in country.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like