back to article I still haven't found what I'm malloc()ing for: U2 tops poll of music today's devs code to

Time to put to bed once and for all the image of the hip young hacker pounding out code to cutting-edge techno music. It turns out that today's devs prefer to work to most of the same tunes your mom plays while driving to the store. A study from survey and research company Qualtrics found that while nearly all developers like …

1. Rich 11

Re: classics

I don't think Robert Johnson was that grateful to be dead.

1. joed

who's been surveyed?

Qualtrics' own devs (fine if done with their consent) or fished across the web? I do recall Qualtrics' scripts on HP's sites but I'd not connected them with this kind of data gathering. Anyway, I'd block them just because of their name.

2. Geoffrey W

Van Der Graaf Generator, Peter Hammill, and BBC radio 4. Or Virginia Astley if I'm feeling mellow - From Gardens Where we Feel Secure. Drives my wife mad when its VdGG day; but its better than Dorky Day...Dorky Dorky Dorky Dorky Dorky Dorky Dorky Dorky Dorky...

1. Geoffrey W

...Oh, and Syd Barrett and the First Pink Floyd record "Piper at the Gates". Syd has a strange effect on me and seems to fire my imagination and lends inspiration. Better than drugs. Stuck? Have a chat with Syd.

3. ammabamma
    Happy

Bunch of metalheads at Chez Ammabamma

My daughter and I both like to listen to metal-type music when we hack up some silly little Arduino/Raspberry Pi project together.

I've introduced her to the "classics": Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Motörhead, and U.D.O.. She's shown me Avatar, Battlebeast, Sabaton, and Volbeat. There's nary a Taylor Swift or Katie Perry n sight (or in hearing) here!

1. MondoMan
      Thumb Up

Re: Bunch of metalheads at Chez Ammabamma

Nice! I'd throw in some AC/DC favorites, and random individual songs like Dragula.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Same here. With slightly different ordering and the addition of Alice Cooper to hold the poll position.

3. FuzzyWuzzys
      Mushroom

Oh yes, some classic rock there!

I much prefer to crank up more extreme Scandinavian prog metal, Insommnium, Ghost Brigade, Swallow the Sun, chuck in a bit of trad death and thrash to break up the day. It's incredibly relaxing listening to some nutter screaming and grunting at the top of his lungs, no seriously it is! I used to have a colleague who also found it much better for him to code while listening to such music as Amon Amarth and other viking metal treats.

I assume it's something to do with the fact that you can't hear the words, a death grunt vocalist sounds like just another instrument. A very low register and no distracting words in the music I can concentrate more I suppose.

4. Dagg Silver badge
    Gimp

C++

Got da be metal, the heaver the better. Metallica, Ramstein, Celtic frost....

1. Naselus

Re: C++

Pantera. Lots and lots of Pantera.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: C++

Is that *antera without the Hungarian notation?

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Lucinda Williams

Loud and raw

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Bhangra? I thought everything was outsourced by now.

7. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The choice of music depends on what you are coding

Your typical startup-style, no rest for the wicked binge coding is best written to "Jesus Christ Superstar". You also find that you tend to follow the script too. You code to The Getsemane, you live by The Getsemane:

Then I was inspired, now I'm sad and tired

Listen, surely I've exceeded expectations

Tried for three years, seems like thirty

Could you ask as much from any other man?

So after you have been run like a slave for 3 years, the Getsemane commands you to get up and f*** leave. I did it at my last job - the whole project was pretty much written with Jesus Christ Superstar on the stereo 24x7x365. Then after 3 years I had enough, I got up and left.

1. milet

Re: The choice of music depends on what you are coding

And I thought I was the only one to code by "Jesus Christ Superstar"... Did all of my MSc project to that album, back in 1995.

8. wolfetone Silver badge

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

There's always a taste for accounting though.

Have you filled in your timesheet accurate to 15 minute intervals?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"Have you filled in your timesheet accurate to 15 minute intervals?"

I, er, no. No I haven't.

Bono ate my time sheet. Said something about every 4 seconds a child dies and didn't want me adding to the problem.

2. Rich 11

Have you filled in your timesheet accurate to 15 minute intervals?

I once added a 15-second entry to a timesheet in 1989: "Fucked an Apple".

No-one ever asked me what that actually meant, from which I concluded that no-one gave a shit about timesheets.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One of my previous jobs wanted us to fill in our timesheets to that degree (iirc it was 10 minute intervals). Most of us were IT trainers. Our time sheets ended up mostly consisting of training or filling out timesheet. They eventually dropped it.

1. BongoJoe

I've worked for three outfits which had punchcards which worked to deciHours, i.e. six minute intervals, that we had to fill in time sheets for.

9. BongoJoe

I have POWER WINDOWS on infinite loop. Nothing else.

Not sure what a 'mom' is but whomever this fabled being may be I can't see them recognising anything more modern than a C90 cassette with the tape wrapped around the player's rollers.

1. TRT Silver badge

I prefer a little ambient... like

Brian Eno.

10. QdK
    Mushroom

Depends...

It's Kraftwerk and RMB, Hardsequencer so more like techno/hardtrance that was hip 20 years ago, and electronic music even older... Oh but if stuffs needs to be done yesterday, it's definately ROTATOR!!

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Depends...

Easy question: Frank Zappa boots streamed off Zappateers, Radio 4 or silence.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Working late in the evening meant an otherwise empty office - so the Libera choir CDs could go on full blast. Eventually had to buy their CDs for the security guards and cleaners too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66CHya51Y8U

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Mr Sceptical
    WTF?

Taylor Swift & Katy Perry?!?

Who are these people, devs or script kiddies??

I need a bit of tempo to code to: Offspring, Green Day or the like. Occassionally a bit of electronica for variety.

Plus, it blocks out any distracting conversations nearby.

1. horse of a different color
      Trollface

Re: Taylor Swift & Katy Perry?!?

Coders gonna code, code, code, code, code,

Compilers gonna 'pile, 'pile, 'pile, 'pile, 'pile

Check it in, yeah, check it in

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Taylor Swift & Katy Perry?!?

I was wondering if these numbers came from the coding boot camps in the US. They enroll the otherwise unemployable so they can become developers - because it's just that easy, isn't it? I imagine they are then employed by the government, because that would explain so much.

14. TRT Silver badge

Taylor Swift???

Explains many things.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Taylor Swift???

Well, that's better than Taylor Objective C

15. Prosthetic Conscience
    Mushroom

These artists?! Your problem is they all have vocals, can't work with vocals. Can't work near the kitchen breakout area in the open plan office either. Some people left for another office now there's more open space fewer desks: Great! Nope, PMs and C*O come stroll around loudly talking on their mobiles in the empty area now. Someone back in accounts clearly can't see their desk phone flashing in their face so the ringtone volume is turned to 11.. The IT tech support guys, bless them, get bored and start playing music on some Sonos, which I personally find as the most anti-social thing you can do in an open plan office (and yes generic crap music from in the survey). Not to mention some of the girls and guys I can hear shouting to each other across the entire office asking questions. Why are people so afraid of silence? I like to play music (usually to block all the above (and yes usually disgusting (to some people) military grade jungle or hardcore or acid tekno with a K) but I use earphones!!! I don't blast it to everyone). Nothing beats silence.

Do I sound upset?

16. alain williams Silver badge

No vocals

I find that words distract (maybe uses the same part of my brain that I use for coding), so pure instrumental works for me - classical is great, baroque is best (most modern/pop is crap anyway).

1. Adrian 4

Re: No vocals

This is the problem with noise-blocking headphones. They're OK at blocking drone noises but not at speech - it's not predictable enough. And the manufacturers often consider it an advantage : remove jet noise but be able to hear your companion.

For dev work you want to block the speech and allow the drone noise through. I don't think drowning speech out is ever going to work.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: No vocals

"I find that words distract (maybe uses the same part of my brain that I use for coding)"

How about instrumental jazz and JPOP (since it's in a foreign lingo that I'm not entirely familiar with, the words just run by like it's part of the music when I listen to it). Then again, you can't understand Robert Plant at all... so maybe some old Zeppelin too?

17. Adrian 4
    FAIL

happy medium

I've wanted to use music to block office noise but never found anything suitable. Stuff I like distracts me. So does stuff I don't like. Pap is just irritating .. you can ignore it for a while then it just overwhelms you with horror.

Working at home is OK - the noises are birdsong and distant voices, easier to tune out and not so silent that the computer fan becomes a raging whirlwind.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: happy medium

"Pap is just irritating .. you can ignore it for a while then it just overwhelms you with horror."

whenever "that band who shall not be named that sounds like you hold your nose while singing something repetitive and stupid about sharing a lonely view with birds" comes on the radio, I am _COMPELLED_ to shut that @#$% off NOW, dammit! like that?

yeah, better to have an icecast server of your own, with your own playlists, and an internet-capable radio-like device plugged into the big system, that you can switch to if "other people's playlists" start sucking or something.

2. I am the liquor

Re: happy medium

mynoise.net, as recommended by another poster above, could be your answer.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eye care

Silence is very good, but sometimes you get something in your eye, or they just get a bit itchy from staring too much at the screen and you need to get the old eye juices going. Something like hearing Sandy Denny on Fairport Convention's "Unhalfbricking" clears out my tear ducts, before it even gets to "Who knows here the time goes". Richard Thompson's guitar backing it up is just devastating...

1. /dev/null

Re: Eye care

+1 for the late great Sandy... one of the more frequently listened-to artists on the small but perfectly formed music collection on my phone. Check out her exquisite cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door if you haven't already.

19. Ed Courtenay

It'll depend on my mood, but to truly get 'in the zone' I find electronica to be a good starting point; Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Art of Noise, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, InfantJoy...

That said, I've been on a monster Penguin Cafe Orchestra binge recently.

20. Ottman001

I don't often listen to music while working because I find it causes the screen to repeatedly disappear outside both the top and then bottom of my field of vision. The effect is particularly extreme when listening to Rage Against The Machine.

1. Steve the Cynic

And presumably, while headbanging, you get epic qwertyface.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was recommended this by a colleague once.

https://coffitivity.com/

It creates a cafe background noise ( seemingly more now ).

22. Chairman of the Bored
    FAIL

An then the pointy haired mgr showed up..

Workin' for The Man from the five sided building on the Potomac:

Stage 1: pointy hair says, "You shouldn't play music as someone may take offense to its content." Rather than trust people to act like adults and negotiate a mutually acceptable compromise... ban the music! Heaven forbid we talk to one another and, I dont know - bond and form teams, maybe even grow to see each other as unique and valuable human beings?

Stage 2: We will pipe in sound for you from a noncontroversial source. Ok - I was hoping for a good brown noise gen. What we got is either alternating between left and right wing 'news' stations - both batshit crazy - or the Weather Channel. Someone hijacked the feed to give us South Park re-runs and almost got himself fired. That itself would be worthy of a South Park episode. Deep, man.

Stage 3: For reasons I completely understand and approve of we cannot use personal CDs in the Man's machines, and nor can we have our phones or other electronics near same. Ok, no problem - old school Sony Discman to the rescue

Stage 4: You can have your discman but no speakers. You CANNOT have personally owned headphones (per 'security') so you can only use headphones if provided by The Man

Stage 5: The Man doesnt buy stuff for your personal use Period. And even if he did, you dare not plug it into your personal discman - that would be a 'security issue'

I hit the silk!!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Music to developer profile

U2 - contractor, well off, nearing retirement. Owns second (or more) investment properties. Fairly good at job, but unbearably smug with it. Not as irreplaceable as he thinks he is. Will be ejected with little notice as part of a cost-saving exercise. Tax expert, Tory voter. Talks about retiring abroad, but never will.

Taylor Swift - web 'developer'. Probable man-bun and twat-beard. Generally harmless, but also generally useless. Good taste in coffee; proud Apple Watch wearer. Wanted the ceramic version, but couldn't afford it, due to a recent rent increase on his Old Street flat. Big on social media but little of worth to say.

The Beatles - permie, nearing retirement. Slow coder, pedantic. Big fan of The North Face back-packs, jackets. Cycles to work - a MAMIL. Doesn't look good in Lycra. Smells of sweat, but no-one's told him yet. DevOps and Agile fan. Wears a Citizen watch. Inoffensive to all.

Maroon 5 - thinks he moves like Jagger, but actually moves like Merkel. Sad-dad. Universally laughed at. No-one quite gets how he passed the interview, having produced absolutely nothing of note since.

Linkin Park - Balding with pony-tail. Teenage kids. Unfulfilled life, stay-at-home wife. Miserable, but quite nice if you talk to them. Deeply in love with the young executive assistant who in return doesn't notice him at all. Quietly agrees with Brexit.

Katy Perry - just a complete talentless twat. Same for the developer. Listening to Katy Perry should be grounds for dismissal.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Music to developer profile

"thinks he moves like Jagger, but actually moves like Merkel."

Thanks a lot. Now there's tea all over the table and bloody management smirking at me cleaning up the mess...

24. ofnuts

Bagpipes. Instrumental, so no brain power waster following the lyrics. Easily cover any background noise. Monotonous rhythm helps putting you in the coding trance.

25. ForthIsNotDead

I'm a Dire Straits bloke meself, like...

Learning new coding techniques: Your Latest Trick

Debugging at midnight: Private Investigations

Helping your colleague debug some code: Brothers In Arms

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like