nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Dyson celebrates 'shock' EU Court win over flawed energy tests

Re: Petty?

In fact all the new V type and 'slot' dryers blow a nice fine spray (some brought up from the stagnant wet pool at the bottom of the 'well'), around the room for you & everyone to breath in. A Legionairs (and many other) disease paradise that needs an EU infectiousness test if anything ever did. Oh and you can't avoid touching the internal edges wet from previous user.

FAIL

Did Dyson participate in the standards setting process?

This is precisely why it is important to actually participate in the standards setting process. It is a very dull, detail-orientated and time consuming process. No-one else is going to do it for you, because unless they are actually in the same industry they will not be as alert for all the ways you can get fucked over.

True example: About 16 years ago there was a British Standard being drafted concerning eddy current non-destructive testing instruments. One clause stated that the instrument must be returned to the manufacturer for annual calibration. That would have guaranteed the manufacturers a nice steady income stream, and cut out perfectly competent and cost-effective independent calibrate-and-repair companies.

Of course, being in Europe we have a right to participate in the standards drafting process. After brexit goods will still have to comply with EU standards to get into Europe (that's what CE marking is all about), but we will be able to do absolutely nothing about what is written in the standards documents.

Re: Did Dyson participate in the standards setting process?

Well, no, to participate in the European standard making process you have to be a member of a recognised body, or a stake-holder in the standard - and invited to participate. I know American companies who serve on EU standards bodies.

Contrast that with the ASTM in the USA, where anyone can turn up to their meetings and have their say. If its worth listening to, its acted on.

That's speaking as a member of European and US standard making bodies. The EU ones are a fix-up, as this and dieselgate should have demonstrated.

Anonymous Coward

but we will be able to do absolutely nothing about what is written in the standards documents.

Why do you think that? US companies participate in EU standards bodies, and EU companies in US and worldwide standards bodies. For this, as with so many Brexit myths, leaving the EU may end mandatory participation in many things, but does not in any way block voluntary participation.

Silver badge

That's speaking as a member of European and US standard making bodies. The EU ones are a fix-up, as this and dieselgate should have demonstrated.

You mean there are no US standards, such as those set by the FTC, SEC or FCC, that aren't fix ups? Nowhere is perfect on this.

Any industry with a large investment is going to see a huge amount of lobbying, whether of the standards bodies or legislators or regulators. VW's blatant and egregious flouting of the rules should also be seen in the context that US rules favour petrol engines over diesel engines, because that's what US manufacturers favour. And it should also be noted that it was the California agency that rang the alarm. Now that the EPA is effectively being wound down there will no doubt be pressure in the US to defang the Californian agency, which often acts to set de facto standards for the whole country.

Silver badge

@Steve D

This is precisely why it is important to actually participate in the standards setting process. It is a very dull, detail-orientated and time consuming process. No-one else is going to do it for you, because unless they are actually in the same industry they will not be as alert for all the ways you can get fucked over.

It is not the industries job, or any private individuals for that matter, to set the standards that are a result of governmental legislation.

If the government passes legislation setting certain standards, it is their job to set the standards. If they don't have the appropriate in-house expertise to set those standards, whether it be medical, energy production, mining, manufacturing, drugs, what have you, then it is up to the government to obtain that expertise by hiring (either direct employment of contractors/consultants) those that do.

Why should they expect the work required to set a standard, a standard they are mandating, be done for free? The costs involved to companies to participate in such processes can be millions, why should the government get that work for free?

And a legislated standard, like any law, is subject to challenge in the courts. So why participate, for free, in a standards process when if you don't agree with the results you can take absolutely appropriate path of sueing in court?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

1.6 kW

Dyson has separately sued Bosch and Siemens' parent company BSH after finding that 750W-rated appliances really draw over 1600W of power when full. A sensor puts the Siemens Q8.0 and Bosch GL80 models into low power mode in pristine conditions – such as a lab test – then ramps it up again for everyday use.

Does that mean that these models actually draw 1.6 kW? If so, I am going to buy one pronto before they change them!

The current 900 watt EU-mandated limit is stupid. If they wanted to save energy and greenhouse gases, then they should have limited the power output of cars instead, as vacuum cleaners contribute precisely bugger all to global warming. But then, as others have pointed out, a Eurocrat probably loves his 5.5 litre Mercedes-Benz but isn't going to be pushing a vacuum cleaner around.

So, at least Brexit isn't all bad. We might have the mother of all recessions when half our export market disappears overnight, but those happy few who still have jobs - working for official receivers and Jobcentres etc - might at least be able to buy a decent vacuum cleaner.

Silver badge

Re: 1.6 kW

'as vacuum cleaners contribute precisely bugger all to global warming'

Wait, what, that should be the headline there, vacuum cleaners don't need an energy source*. Or get warm when the motor runs.

*Granted that may be from a renewable source but if we all had 2kW hoovers** then it'd be a fuck load harder moving away from fossil fuels.

**Yes fuck you I'm using it as a common noun.

Silver badge
Stop

Wait, what, that should be the headline there, vacuum cleaners don't need an energy source*. Or get warm when the motor runs.

So, which do you think uses more energy? A 1.6 kW vacuum cleaner used for 20 minutes a week, or a 327 kW BMW 7 Series driven for 6 hours a week. How do you think the amount of energy used in a year by vacuum cleaners in Europe compares to the amount of energy used by road transport?

Anonymous Coward

The current 900 watt EU-mandated limit is stupid.

It is, but mostly because of politicians who flunked high school physics and don't know the difference between power and energy, but still feel qualified to legislate on them.

"So, at least Brexit isn't all bad. We might have the mother of all recessions when half our export market disappears overnight, but those happy few who still have jobs - working for official receivers and Jobcentres etc - might at least be able to buy a decent vacuum cleaner."

Where is the market disappearing to? You do know it is still possible to buy AND sell to markets outside the EU from within the EU?

Although seeing fewer BMW/Audi cars on the roads would be nice.

I can see his point

As much as I do not like Dyson products, I do see his point of view.

Anonymous Coward

DYSUN is like TRUMP

Both DYSAN AND TRUMP are WINNERS who ARE BUILDING WALLS AHA ST THE SCUM beaurocfats WHO AWANT TO,TAKE JOBs away from citizens WHO PAY THEKR TAXES AND WANT THEIR CLINTRY TO BE SUCCESSFUL. AND WORLD LEADING. They tried to stop DYSON and they tried to stop TRUMP. BOTH FAILED. I notice that NO GUARDIAN READING left wing social justice warriors now want to say anything. Because they are CRYING INTO THEIR LENTELS. . It JUST GOES to,show AGAIN again that IWANKER TRAMP was completely correct about CORMEY AND THE EU tying honest workers up in RED TAPE. THIS IS LIKE OBAMA WHO PREACHED peace yet is probably PAID A MILLION DOLLARS FOR a speech AND PAID FOR TERRORISTS TO GO TRANS GENDER IN TOILETS. And CLIMTOM.

Re: DYSUN is like TRUMP

WhAt?

Oh do be QUIET. Come to think of it, learning to spell properly wold be a good move too.

Cheers… Ishy

TRT
Silver badge

Dyson is like Trump, as Hoover is like Hoover.

Hm...

Oh, come on, Ishtiaq - didn't the "IWANKER TRAMP" give it away that this is a spoof comment? It is the second one by this commentard I've read today, and I hope there are more - they are funny(ish)!

Silver badge
Stop

@Anonymous Coward

Dude, these forums accept HTML markup.

Use it if you need a lot of emphasis rather than typing IN ALL CAPS all the time...people might actually read your post instead of not bothering to.

TRT
Silver badge

At least the competition isn't...

from Microsoft. If they made a vacuum cleaner, you can bet it would be the only thing they made that didn't suck.

Anonymous Coward

How to really upset Dyson...

Refer to them as "hoovers", as several people have above ;-)

Reminds me of the time I was tempted to slap some kids over the head in town and exclaim "Doh!" at the same time. They were taking the piss out of their teacher "Mrs Dyson", joking "I wonder if she invented the hoover"...

Anonymous Coward

Re: How to really upset Dyson...

taking the piss out of their teacher "Mrs Dyson", joking "I wonder if she invented the hoover"...

No such thing as bad publicity!

Anonymous Coward

Re: How to really upset Dyson...

Calling anything that isn't made by Hoover a hoover at the Dyson headquarters can get you fired.

Another "cheat devise"?

This reads like some weak surreal parody ... I checked for an April first dateline.

Life is becoming more and more like some poorly constructed comedy plot.

Good for Dyson for policing such cheats.

Thumb Down

I hate those airblade dryers.

The had them at my old employers. The noise ! I'm sure you could sue Dyson for hearing damage!

They also make a mess on the floor as they don't appear to have a drain.

Fortunately my new employer has paper towels. Silence is golden!

And another gripe about Dyson vacuums: they have a filter that can and will eventually block and reduce your suction so the "Never loses suction" is not really true.

https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/v6_new/dyson-v6-total-clean-cordless-uk/maintaining-your-dyson-machine/wash-the-filter-video/wash-the-pre-filter-step-by-step-guide

That said we have a V6 Animal vacuum (or "oover" as my east end born wife calls it!) and it is very impressive, I'd recomemnd it if asked.

BTW This decision does seem a rare victory for common sense!

Re: I hate those airblade dryers.

I too have a V6 Animal. Great at suction but the battery life is awful.

A Dyson really does suck, but Dyson really sucks at battery technology...... lol

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing