back to article Italian F-35 facility rolls out its first STOVL stealth fighter

Italy has assembled the first F-35B outside the US, at the same factory where British jets will eventually be overhauled. The final assembly and check out (FACO) factory in Cameri, about 99km (60 miles) northeast of Turin, delivered its first F-35B on Friday (5 May), according to a Lockheed Martin statement. Although the …

Page:

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: a train that could actually go faster than 40 km/h in winter[

Really cold and snowy

Well back in the early 80s we had quite a bit of snow and trouble with some trains.

Snow compacted into traction motors dropping a loco to three of them, but it still managed OK on its trailing bogie. Got over 25mph anyway (40km/h).

Next train was OK. I got to my destination.

Not sure if same year or previous or next same trip a loco took full advantage. Must have been at least 10% up on power due to the cold, went like shit off a shovel!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Finmeccanica

Actually Ansaldo was sold to Hitachi, and you will still buy trains from them. Also is the supplier of part of Tornados, Typhoons, and the owner of Agusta-Westland....

Also, Italian high-speed trains (Frecciarossa) don't look so slow to me....

1. Stoneshop
        Holmes

Also, Italian high-speed trains (Frecciarossa) don't look so slow to me....

That's because they have red stripes painted on them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Red stripes are good. And no, they don't loose bits on the tracks either.

2. MJI Silver badge

Tornado

Wasn't the boiler Polish?

1. Tank boy
    Meh

There's so much here...

I wasn't sure if I should impugn the Italians reputation for producing products that require a lot of maintenance, or their lightning fast ability to switch sides in times of war. The option to point out that they are one of the weakest of NATO's members remains on the table as well. Good luck with all that.

1. Hyper72

Re: There's so much here...

One does wonder if it turns out like with cars where you have to worry about which factory cranked it out. For example a VW made in Germany might be sorta OK but the ones made in Mexico can go all out Carrie on you.

1. paulc

>For example a VW made in Germany might be sorta OK but the ones made in Mexico can go all out Carrie on you.

they will do as they are built to different standards, the Mexican built one will most likely have far less crash resistance and no doubt no rust proofing either.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not that cars built in GB had a better reputation....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I wasn't sure if I should impugn the Italians reputation for producing products that require a lot of maintenance, or their lightning fast ability to switch sides in times of war."

I am reminded of once visiting a show with an Italian colleague and looking at a large Moto Guzzi V-twin on a stand. "You know," said my colleague, "we may not win many battles but we make amazingly fast getaway vehicles."

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

"we may not win many battles but we make amazingly fast getaway vehicles."

Assuming that they will start if there is more than a hint of rain. And/or come with a *big* can of WD-40 and DampStart.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Italian built you say, so do they fly backwards ?

1. MJI Silver badge

That took the British to achieve

3. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Joke

Should

have them made in France..... every time the germans look in their direction , they surrender ... ho ho ho and while we're on racial sterotypes....

Get them made in Britain and they'll go off for tea at 4pm before adopting a suspiciously upper class accent on the voice control software....

And gawd knows what the australian ones would be like.....

1. SnowPatrol

Aussie fighters

Great at flying upside down but infested with poisonous critters.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exotic Alloys

So how did they manage the part where it rusts and falls apart?

5. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Optional

I'm not clear why anyone is surprised that the FACO is in Italy. It's a simple matter of sending the Italians a spiff to keep their domestic aerospace business (Leonardo) from competing with the F-35. There is a small handful of companies in Europe that offer modern combat aircraft, notably Dassault in France and Saab in Sweden, plus the Airbus conglomerate (the former Aerospatiale, CASA, Dornier and MTU) and . Without a comfortable workshare deal, Lockheed faced Finmeccanica / Leonardo joining forces with one of those, just as they had for the Eurofighter.

If that had happened, not only might Lockheed have lost the 60-odd aircraft sale to Italy, but there was a risk that other smaller F-35 customers (particularly Netherlands, Norway, Denmark) might have gone with a European alternate.

It's also worth remembering that, jokes aside, Italy is the location of one of NATO's busiest bases, at Aviano, which (possibly not coincidentally) is the home of the USAF's 31st Fighter Wing, and the general staging base for any US aircraft flying over places south of Europe...

1. Lotaresco

Re: Optional

"If that had happened, not only might Lockheed have lost the 60-odd aircraft sale to Italy, but there was a risk that other smaller F-35 customers (particularly Netherlands, Norway, Denmark) might have gone with a European alternate."

Or "Welcome to the wonderful world of Brexit, brought to you by knee-jerk prejudice, ignorance and inability to think further than the end of one's nose."

6. MJI Silver badge

Engines & Turkey do we need to?

Just thinking about this, do we need the engines?

I am sure we could fund a British jet engine manufacturer to produce one, or even a European consortium.

It is not like we do not know what to do.

Just remember the most hours supersonic belong to a British France collaberation.

1. Lotaresco

Re: Engines & Turkey do we need to?

"I am sure we could fund a British jet engine manufacturer to produce one, or even a European consortium."

We used to have an all-weather combat proven VSTOL fighter that was perfect for carrier ops. Out government threw it away, remember? Now we get some bag of nails that carts around a "Lift System" that for most of the time is dead weight. But at least the lift system is British made. Hoorah! Let's wave a bulldog, drink some beer and drape ourselves in a flag.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"fighter that was perfect for carrier ops"

Yes. Just today it is only perfect to take-off and land. Everything between would be very risky for an Harrier but in situations were air superiority has already been achieved (by a different plane, of course).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "fighter that was perfect for carrier ops"

The Harrier was always a highlight at St Louis when it appeared for the 4th of July fair and hovered over the Mississippi by the Arch. Never flew through the arch, so you have to admire their restraint - but someone else did. And someone, tragically, parachuted on to the top of the Arch, and then was blown to the side and down one of the legs. Apparently his plan was to do a second jump from the top of the Arch to the ground. Reports were he had an accomplice videotaping the feat who took off when things went pear shaped.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't Rolls-Royce already involved in the F-35 engines? Anyway, the distribution of assembly/maintenance plants is due mostly to political reasons, not technical ones.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Rolls Royce makes the lift system which bolts onto the engine. The engine itself is GE I believe.

1. EnviableOne

Rolls offered a full engine package, but LM went with the single supplier (USA based of course)

Their engine was smaller cheaper and more powerful, it also mated with the lift gear better.

I still think if they took Pegasus back to the drawing board, they could, without much effort improve it to power the Kestrel (a Harrier that can manage Mach 1 and still do VSTOL) that would be a third the price and three times as effective and infinatley more flexable than the F-35 (FFS the USMC are still flying harriers)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like