back to article Spotted: Bizarre SpaceX rocket-snatching machine that looks like it belongs on Robot Wars

A robot has been spotted on the landing pad of SpaceX's floating barge Of course I still love you, and the rocket biz is refusing to say what it is for. Coming soon from SpaceX! Click to enlarge (Source: Stephen Marr, used with permission) This photo of the machine was taken by a couple flying over the Florida port where …

Page:

1. brainbone

Re: Let's look at what's there...

> 1. There are 4 pistons, which can only engage with the 4 landing legs on the Falcon 9 core.

I suspect they engage similar to the hold-down clamps used during a launch, holding the body, not the legs.

> 3. [...] but it's wheels (or treads) aren't visible. [...]

To the left and right of center there appears to be treads.

> Add it all up, and it seems the robot's purpose is to move freshly-landed cores.

My guess is that it's to stabilize the landed booster stage during transport, possibly using electromagnets to secure the robot to the deck.

1. Mugs

Rat Thing

Assuming it's powered by a radioisotope battery with AI from a dog, it's probably a Rat Thing from Snow Crash. The kennel is for thermal management - useful to have all that sea as a heat sink.

2. Geoffrey W

Almost completely off topic but...I have somehow overlooked/failed/avoided reading any Iain (with or without M) Banks' books but feel I really do need to read at least one and see where that leads; Where to start?

Are his M. books SF, while his !M. books are other?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Are his M. books SF, while his !M. books are other?"

Yes. But, like you, that's as much as I know. Considering my large SF collection, I really ought to get some, but like you, it's where to start.

3. Sandy Scott

Iain M Bank books

I've loved everything I've read so far from Iain M Banks, but "The Use of Weapons" stands out above other others as an absolute materpiece, with one of the greatest twists ever written. It's one of the least sci-fi-ey of them, with less focus on the technology. If you love that side of Sci-Fi, maybe try "Matter" first.

I haven't read any of the Non-SF, but I've heard that "The Wasp Factory" is considered a modern classic.

1. DocJames
      Holmes

Re: Iain M Bank books

Agree Use of Weapons best first "M" book.

The wasp factory, song of stone, whit, the crow road or the business are all good first choices for the none SF books. His last (the quarry) I thought was weak and insufficiently edited/revised; not surprising given his imminent death. The steep approach to Garbadale I think is poor compared to the others. I enjoyed canal dreams (actually that would be fine as a first one too albeit now dated) and espadair street (very Scottish; very 90s music-y).

I've not read dead air, complicity or stonemouth. And I'm sure there's a few I've missed.

(I read quite a lot)

1. Geoffrey W

Isn't "Use of Weapons" book 3 or 4 of the Culture series? Can the series be meaningfully read out of sequence? The Culture books seem to be his masterwork so I guess Culture book 1 is where to start.

2. Vic

The wasp factory, song of stone, whit, the crow road or the business are all good first choices for the none SF books

The Wasp Factory is a marvellous book. Quite shocking in places.

I hated Song of Stone with a passion...

Vic.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like