back to article AMD does an Italian job on Intel, unveils 32-core, 64-thread 'Naples' CPU

In a raid on Intel's x86 server heartland, AMD has unveiled its next shot at server market glory with Naples, a 32-core, 64-thread CPU based on its Zen microarchitecture. Naples targets the high-performance server market and confirms AMD wants to be a significant data centre CPU player. It features: Scalable, 32-core System …

Page:

1. Alistair
    Windows

I'm asking hardware vendor reps if I can get hands on test boxes. (HP and IBM).

Trevor: any word from your white box rep?

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

But What About Purley?

So the AMD processor due out in the Summer outperforms Intel's current offering.

Fair enough. Well done AMD.

But the real question is: how will it compare against Intel's Purley series, also due out in the Summer?

Hint: Purley will wipe the floor

1. Fenton

Re: But What About Purley?

I assume you mean the Skylake server release?

Not a massive jump in IPC from Broadwell to Skylake and Skylake to Kaby Lake even less so.

The E5 2699v5 is rumored to only have 28 cores (although a 32core rumor has also been spotted).

But the clock speed rumor is only 1.8GHz, So I think this will be neck and neck, Skylake with a little higher IPC but fewer cores, is may just come down to Multi-threading efficiency and frequency)

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Yes, I'm talking about the Skylakes. I'm not sure what rumours you've heard, but the road map that I may or may not have seen has no mention of an E5-2699v5, mainly because they're merging E5 and E7 and completely changing the nomenclature.

1. Fenton

From what I have read, the are creating a common socket for E5/E7 yes they may get a different name, but the E5 equivalent will have the AVX accelerator and the E7 the XML acceerator. Personally I'd love them to merge the lines as currently the software I deal with in only certified on E7 and the associated servers carry a large price premium.

1. petef

In that video the unreleased Naples was tested against Broadwell-EP which has been out for about a year. It will be fairer to compare against Skylake-EP when it is released. That will have AVX-512 and presumably the other performance lifts we expect with a new generation.

1. Fenton

We can get a good indication of the performance differences when we look at the Ryzen benchmarks against the desktop skylake processors that include the new AVX instructions.

As an example in Cinebench

Ryzen 1800X achieves a single threaded score of 162 and a multithreaded score of 1637 (16 threads)

10:1 MT/ST ratio

Intel 6900K Also achieves 162 and a multithreaded score of 1490

9.12:1 MT/ST ratio

Intel i7-7770k (skylake) achieves 201 and 985 (with 8 threads only)

Lets assume a 16 thread skylake will run at the same 4.2-4.5Ghz and has double the multithreaded performance of the i7-7770k the multithreaded result would be 1970

9.8 MT/ST ratio

But are we likely to see a 16 thread skylake run at that frequency range?

3. Mikel

Pics

Didn't mind netbook girl at all.

4. Coolbikerdad

Wrong city

<pedant> "Italian Job"? The classic movie was set in Turin, not Naples </pedant>

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like