back to article Mars orbiter FLOORS IT to avoid hitting MOON

The Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN (MAVEN) spacecraft last week made a hasty burn to avoid a likely collision with Martian moon Phobos. NASA says that without the burn, the probe and the moon stood “a good chance of hitting each other on Monday, March 6th”. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) figured that out about …

Page:

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Phobos phobia fortunately foiled by flame.

Fiery flare for faster flyby fortunately foiled fatal phobos phobia?

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Near miss?

"...it came within two kilometres of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter..."

Given how big space is, that's pretty damned close!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Near miss?

Yes, space is so vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is (you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space) and since there are only a finite number of space probes in space then the probability of one meeting another is so infinitessimally small then this occurrence can be ignored

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Near miss?

You might say that it's infinitely improbable.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: big space, finite number of probes, infinitesimally small probability of collision

I disagree. This sounds very much like a million-to-one chance ... and we all know that those crop up nine times out of ten.

2. akeane
    Devil

I've heard...

... the UAC are doing some mysterious experiments up there...

3. Vinyl-Junkie
    Joke

I thought..

...that bashing into them at high-speed was currently the go-to method for surveying the fourth planet and environs!

4. Matthew 3

Professor Frink

Am I the only one saying 'Hoyven Maven Glaven!' in Professor Frink's voice after reading the orbiter's name?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Professor Frink

Well, not now, darn it!

5. MJB7

"space is so vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big"

See http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html. It is subtitled "A Tediously Accurate Map of the Solar System". It's not that accurate - it lines all the planets up in straight line, and has a lot of extra text to relieve the monotony. It is very tedious if you try to scroll all the way through (I gave up)

1. sorry, what?
      Unhappy

Re: "space is so vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big"

I was a bit surprised to see, at 7.2 light minutes out from the Sun a comment about being half way home. My understanding is that Earth is about 8 light minutes out from the Sun, so not sure quite which laws of Physics are being followed by "Josh" here.

1. Vinyl-Junkie
        Alien

Re: "space is so vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big"

Perhaps his home is not the same as ours?

6. sorry, what?
    Devil

MAVEN...

That's a crappy repository for code dependencies and a crappier associated build system. No surprise they sent it out to Mars, but I don't get why they then saved it from oblivion!

(We used Ivy instead - so much better but requires water, oxygen and sunlight to grow so not so good for Mars visits)

7. Simon Harris

That tweet @NSFVoyager2

Did anyone else read that as 'Not safe for Voyager 2' ?

Presumably the Phobos and MRO incidents could have been NSFMAVEN.

8. IglooDude
    Pint

Thanks for the Voyager2 note, Reg

It always cheers me up a bit when I'm reminded of how those two probes we've flung out there are still managing to radio home with some bits here and there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks for the Voyager2 note, Reg

Yeah! Voyager 1 still more popular and useful than Star Trek 1!

We can only hope that the two mighty Voyager probes outlast all of the odd-numbered Star Trek movies.

9. NBCanuck

Space Junk

So now we are cluttering up the space around another plant with junk. Before any company/government/agency puts anything into an orbit (Earth, Mars, or anything) there should be a plan in place for them to remove the object before end-of-life occurs. With smaller satellites around Earth that can mean planned orbital decay where they can burn up in the atmosphere, but this would not work on Mars. Options would be:

1) use thrusters to leave orbit and head out into the void

2) remain in orbit as a future navigation hazard, or

3) have the space junk scattered over the surface of Mars.

Any other solutions?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Space Junk

4) Teraform Mars, creating a nice atmosphere, then drop the junk satellites out of orbit to burn up.

And use more cubesats so they burn up more completely.

5) Create a rift in the time-space continuum, then shove all our space junk into that hole, then seal it up!

I see no problem what so ever with that method. :P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Space Junk

6) have the space junk scattered over as little of the surface of Mars as possible so that colonists will find it easier to scavenge.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" use thrusters to leave orbit and head out into the void"

Which makes it an S.E.P for something somewhere.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Isn't that kinda the default approach?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Pfft--way to go, NASA.

We could have had the first lander on Phobos!

1. John G Imrie
      Trollface

Re: Pfft--way to go, NASA.

There is a difference between landing and crashing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Re: Pfft--way to go, NASA.

Not if you're the ESA!! (OK, cheap shot...bad Marketing Hack! Bad, bad Hack!!)

12. Richard Scratcher

Yeah, we've all been there.

Not orbiting Mars, but in the position where we had to put our foot down to avoid a collision.

13. Daz555

Am I the only one who hears the voice from Unreal Tournament when I read the word PHOBOS!

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
  14. Andy The Hat Silver badge

8?

There are 21000 significant objects in Earth orbit - I'll ignore the untrackables - with no roundabouts or traffic lights, and we don't have major problems with satellite collisions. How come under 20 "vehicles" around Mars appears so much more difficult to manage?

There's going to be some obscure orbital mechanics answer isn't there ...?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like