back to article Revealed: UK councils shrug at privacy worries, strap on body cams

More than half of the UK’s local authorities have used body-worn cameras, with only a third of them having considered the privacy impact on the public, according to best practice. The rush to use body-worn video (BWV) by local authorities is not being scrutinised closely enough, according to civil liberties group Big Brother …

Page:

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: How much per camera???

"You can buy an one off bottom of the barrel Gopro for £150."

And that GoPro is mounted on a remote controlled gimbal for that money is it? Has optical zoom? How are you storing the data?

I've looked into some CCTV rigs for the site I work at, the cameras can be up to £300 (because they are on a gimbal to look around, can zoom, and have IR illumination to work in the dark), then there's a license cost per camera for the surveillance software (~£40 pa), plus the disk array the data is stored on. (£2k, plus annual maintenance for the disks)

1. thegroucho
            FAIL

@GruntyMcPugh

Where exactly in the article is the reference to CCTV?

I thought the content and title reference BODY CAMS, not CCTV.

The only reference to CCTV is talking about the "Information Commissioner’s CCTV Code of Practice".

Now, pass me the spliff as you clearly had too much.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

£480 doesn't sound too bad, the IP web cams we have installed in our building here are ~£300 a pop, and they are just mounted to regular surfaces, ceilings, walls etc. Factor in weatherproof housings, and sticking them on top of a mast, and that easily accounts for the extra spend.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can understand bodycams for police, but not the recycling inquisition

I can also understand that they are allowed to film residents in interactions on the street. But you shouldn't be able to barge into someone's home and lecture them on how they didn't properly separate glass from plastic--not without a warrant.

Thankfully, at least in my part of the U.S. I don't see this kind of petty tyrrany taking place.

1. mad_dr

Re: I can understand bodycams for police, but not the recycling inquisition

"Thankfully, at least in my part of the U.S. I don't see this kind of petty tyrrany taking place."

Give it time...

2. Snorlax Silver badge

Re: I can understand bodycams for police, but not the recycling inquisition

"But you shouldn't be able to barge into someone's home and lecture them on how they didn't properly separate glass from plastic--not without a warrant."

They don't barge into your home. Not yet anyhow.

They inspect the contents of your bin when it's at the kerb, or 'curb' as you colonial types say...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like