back to article Russia and China bombard Blighty with 188 cyberattacks in 3 months

Britain has been hit by 188 "high-level attacks" in the last three months. Some of these attempts include Russian state-sponsored hackers trying to steal defence and foreign policy secrets, according to the UK's newly appointed National Cyber Security Centre chief Ciaran Martin. Russian and Chinese attacks on defence and …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All sane folks in the US do NOT condone spying on everyone and everything without obtaining some kind of approval, so as to remain within the law and the "laws" of human decency. Ed Snowden pointed a light into that hole and we can see what we felt was going on; nothing good. Your government, and mine, like to use these "cyber attacks" and pair them with "Russia/Chinese state threat actors" unless it's convenient to deny it, *cough* tRump *cough*. This is how your data and mine are slurped up and examined, all without any oversight or due process. Idiots who claim "well, if you have nothing to hide, surely you don't mind big bro taking a peek?" while not also offering their own bank passwords for examination by me are part of the problem. Keyboard Wankers, is my name for those fucknuts.

The government is not able to dig through my backpack without my allowing it, so why should my data be any different? It ISN'T!!1!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Your duty ...... as a member, freedom loving individual and grand master in the human race

Does anyone calling for war deserve a bullet ..... in order to discourage others from similarly failing catastrophically and falling foul of madness and mayhem?

Keeping things so simple easily prevents destructive confusion and stupid conflicts?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Your duty ...... as a member, freedom loving individual and grand master in the human race

What if a whole country calls for a war?

Re: Your duty ...... as a member, freedom loving individual and grand master in the human race

What if a whole country calls for a war? ... Sir Runcible Spoon

It is always only leading warmongers and the intellectually bankrupt that make such a call, Sir Runcible Spoon. Whole countries only pay the cost and carry the price for them. Both thus proven prime idiots easily led by crazed words.

2. Grikath
    FAIL

No US in there..

Then again.... Blighty... does the Full Access Moon when it comes to the US and sensitive data, innit?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Super Orange Man' to the rescue!

A few well directed and sarky Tweets and 'Kabloooie', no more reds under your beds.

4. 22ten

State sponsored or bedroom warrior?

You have to admire the paranoia of these people that hacking must be state sponsored when the people who have been caught so far have been largely bedroom warriors... But I guess it's problematic to justify spending millions of taxpayers money otherwise!

Re: State sponsored or bedroom warrior?

... But I guess it's problematic to justify spending millions of taxpayers money otherwise! ....22ten

Howdy, 22ten,

Did I not hear correctly that £2billion was the cost so far for the setting up of the UKGBNI National Cyber Security Centre. White elephants and unicorns are not as cheap as chips, you know.

I quite like the idea of State sponsored bedroom warriors though :-) …… although only if one is not expected and contracted to follow a fools’ agenda, for that is problematical and unacceptable to all with the necessary mindset to excel at …. well, CyberIntelAIgent Security and Virtual Protection of Critical Assets and Strategic Goals is a Prime Class of any National/International/Internetional Security Infrastructure which be of quite natural and supernatural interest to others, given what monumental damage and catastrophic disruption can be so easily wrought with expertise in ITs Advanced Imaginative Fields.

Re: State sponsored or bedroom warrior?

Of course, fiat currency churn in the name of, and the end game of present virtual reality/Great GamesPlay.

Or are you brainwashed into thinking/not thinking otherwise?

You surely realise then you be as clay in the hands of master potters ☠

5. tiggity Silver badge

"Some of these attempts include Russian state-sponsored hackers trying to steal defence and foreign policy secrets"

Good luck to hackers seeking to find any coherent Foreign policy information given the headless chicken approach from gov on Brexit so far, best they will get is: Foreign policy means Foreign policy

As for defence save themselves the effort, just look around for the most ludicrously over priced but not really fit for purpose kit you can find - that will be MOD wishlist based on recent purchase history

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I actually found some (real) defence foreign policy documents online, (not UK docs but allied nations),

took me two weeks of emailing to get the attention of the relevant nation and get them moved. I think in the end I probably just phoned them up, it was a while ago.

My accidental kali/metasploit hacking tool of choice then was a simple Google search. . .for some technical docs - not what I got. I doubt things have improved pen.wise in some countries, other than Google search being more partial, bubbly & flaky. I'd probably use yandex.ru today.

Now, back to my cheap Solar and away from the old exciting neversec cybersquirrel stuff

6. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Holmes

Missing man in the middle?

It isn't just a choice between 'bedroom warrior' and 'state actor', that's just framing. Corporations do (and I expect will continue to) hack as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missing man in the middle?

Yes, recently, any open-source fact posited on forums, that mentioned a certain horseless folk-wagon and their associated worldwide breathing/dementia linked "allegations" - was speedily rebutted online (almost as though they had subcontracted the B.N.D. multi-typewriter-warrior trolls to do this), allegedly etc

What is it called when Corporations and "the State" become interchangeably interlinked, not much concerned with the actual population, old word, begins with "f". . .nope, escapes me?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Joke

Re: Missing man in the middle?

"begins with "f". . .nope, escapes me?"

It doesn't rhyme with 'Hashish-jism' by any chance does it?

7. mhenriday
    Boffin

it's no doubt rude of me to point this out,

but the article claims that of 188 «high-level» attacks suffered by Blighty in the last three months some came from Russia and China, respectively. It does not claim that «Russia and China bombard Blighty with 188 cyberattacks in 3 months», as in the headline....

Henri

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon