back to article Last Concorde completes last journey, at maybe Mach 0.02

The last Concorde to take to the skies, G-BOAF (216), has come to a stop for the final time in the soon-to-open Aerospace Bristol museum. The supersonic passenger plane first flew on 20 April 1979 and touched down for the last time on 26 November 2003. The plane was the last Concorde to roll off the production line and the …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Halo Effect

The planes like the Lancaster are also not the mammoths of childhood perception. They are tiny when you see the crew space inside.

My first commercial flight was on a 747. Late night flight from Heathrow - so only saw the loading tunnel. Next afternoon they disembarked us via steps onto the concrete at Jo'burg. Turning round I was amazed by the gigantic engine nacelles above my head.

1. Chris Evans

Concorde replacement.

"...hope to debut a new supersonic airliner in 2023"

I do hope that they do get it into service, though I doubt it will happen. There have been many plans for Concorde replacements over the last 30+ years but none have got very far. That is a great pity as delta winged aircraft look beautiful, especially in flight. They are also the only planes that look like they should fly!

2. Tim99 Silver badge

We were lucky

I won second prize in a competition run by BA in 1987. The prize was a return flight for myself and wife on Concorde to Miami. The aircraft stopped and refueled at Washington, when it took off again - The acceleration was truly impressive - Apparently it was the fastest commercial leg that it flew. The prize included 12 nights at a luxury hotel on Miami Beach. On our first morning (lounging by the pool) Concorde flew very low just past the hotel, and the noise was almost deafening; so I can understand why the locals might have objected.

The aircraft and the service were unlike anything I have experienced. I feel really fortunate.

1. MJI Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: We were lucky

Very lucky!

At times like this we are allowed to envy you

3. Quotes

G-BOAF flew to DC

Extract from http://www.concordephotos.com/history-of-concorde.html

7th Nov 2001 - Air France and British Airways restart Concorde services to New York. Air France Concorde F-BTSD, as Flight AF002, departs Paris Charles De Gaulle at 10:30 local time arriving at New York at 8:20EST. British Airways Concorde G-BOAE departs Heathrow Terminal 4, as BA001, at 10:30 local time and it arrives in New York at 9:10EST. Later the same day Prime Minister Tony Blair flies to Washington DC onboard Concorde G-BOAF to meet President George W Bush

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saw in Action Twice

I saw Concorde in action twice. Once while in a departure lounge at Heathrow waiting for a flight to Belfast or somewhere equally exciting. The whole place shook as it roared down the runway - and everyone tuned their heads to look and smile (even cabin crew/staff) as it lifted into the sky.

Second time I was parked up (handbrake on) on the M25 next to Heathrow going nowhere fast. Other planes had taken off with no excitement whatsoever but it must have been a warm summers day as I remember the sunroof was open. Hearing, feeling and seeing it's underbelly from that close perspective was just awesome......

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
      Unhappy

Re: Saw in Action Twice

It was one of those things I always wanted to do, but travelling half way down the country for that just wasn't on. I had resolved to driving down to Bristol to see this last flight land (and sleep in the car if I had to), but then I got stuck with a meeting at work I couldn't get out of.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Once while in a departure lounge at Heathrow waiting for a flight to Belfast or somewhere equally exciting."

I can beat that: queued up waiting for take-off - to Belfast - and Concorde was just a few places in front so we saw it on the runway from close quarters. The captain pointed it out. I don't think other flight crews ever tired of seeing it. Whilst it was in development we'd hear the occasional sonic boom in Belfast when they went supersonic over the Irish sea.

I also saw it a couple of times from Kew Gardens. I think it had its own approach path different to most planes; it never seemed to come in over High Wycombe like so many others.

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Thumb Up

Sadly only once close up. The return leg of my 1st visit to the US from SF we finally pulling into the Heathrow stall in our big Boeing. The next stand had Concorde on. Boy she looked small (but perfectly formed) & I felt right back at home.

3. Mine's a Large One
      Unhappy

Never achieved the ambition of flying on it, but I was lucky enough to see it fairly close up at Newcastle airport a couple of times as a kid, when it visited for promotions - I've still got the signed poster (can't remember the crew off the top of my head).

Had planned to go to Heathrow when they flew the last ones in, but got caught up with stuff at work. Probably for the best though... I felt stupid enough shedding a tear watching it on the news that evening. :(

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seeing a Concorde in a hangar has to be one of the saddest sights in technology.

It is still heart-stoppingly beautiful, perfectly proportioned, delicate and brutal at the same time - but it belongs at Mach 2 or those brief moments when it seemed to leap from the runway into the air.

Keeping Concorde still is like putting a cheetah in a cage.

Sorry, don't normally get like this over technology, but Concorde is simultaneously a work of art and a landmark in engineering. We've not even come close since.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Better in a hanger than sat out in the weather as Alpha Foxtrot has been for a few years now.

6. Stevie

Bah!

In the Sliderule Era we had moonshots and civilian SSTs.

In the Smartphone Era we have LEO or Nothing and Ryanair.

Backwards And Downwards Into The Future!

7. JimC

One of the things I'm proudest of doing

Is arranging for my grandfather to fly on Concorde. He was a senior mechanic in the RFC in WW1, and flew in some of the earliest aircraft, then, in one lifetime...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: One of the things I'm proudest of doing

So, he was born before powered flight was achieved, saw men walk on the moon and flew as a commercial supersonic passenger. Few people could claim all three in one lifetime and no one else ever will now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saw it take off from Leeds Bradford airport once.

Small airport shorter runway, space at the end of the runway to watch it heading directly towards you. It was a one off, but later I lived in Gypsy Hill near Crystal palace. It's the 10 mile marker for Heathrow and Concorde would always turn and line up over head. Deafening but never annoying.

9. MrRimmerSIR!
    Unhappy

Southend Airshow

Back in the days when there was an Airshow in Southend, and they allowed planes to fly reasonably close. Standing looking over to Kent enjoying the sunshine when the peace was ripped asunder by the almighty roar of a Concorde that came from behind at pretty low level, flying down the estuary. Utterly magnificent and still gives me goose bumps to this day. http://www.echo-news.co.uk/resources/images/3489021.jpg

Didn't manage to grow up and earn money fast enough to partake in one of the ventures advertised in the Torygraph of a one-way trip to New York on the QE2 then returning home on Concorde.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Southend Airshow

I have a similar memory of an English Electric Lightning doing a low level pass at a Wem airshow in the 1960s. The announcer sneakily said it was delayed. Then it came unannounced - almost hedge hopping. Never forget the pummelling from the shock wave - and the glow of the afterburners as it went into a steep climb over the airfield.

Never saw Concorde in action close up - but saw it on the apron at Heathrow looking tiny alongside the Jumbos.

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: Southend Airshow

Many years ago at Biggin Hill air show I watched a Vulcan fly so low over the crowd we could feel the warmth from the after-burners, pretty damn loud, Vulcan & Concorde, probably the best looking jets ever.

10. Zmodem

aye, the most enjoyable bristol grand slam for the kids

https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/bristol-museum-and-art-gallery/

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/

http://www.bristol-link.co.uk/history/industrial-museum.htm

http://www.aerospacebristol.org/

11. QuiteEvilGraham
    Facepalm

Ah, memories

Living in Woking, back in the 80's, used to hear Concorde roar overhead every Sunday at about 2:00 pm.

Always worth running outside to watch it pass over; surely the most beautiful 'plane ever made; like a big paper dart.

The wee girl I lived with back then was about to fly back from JFK with BA and was offered, since they had overbooked the 747, to stay over-night in a hotel and get the early Concorde flight instead. She must have been exceedingly frazzled, because she turned the offer down, despite the fact that she would have been back in the UK about one and a half hours later than the flight she caught.

Elaine, it's been a long time, but I bet you still kick yourself about that one.

1. JimC

Re: Ah, memories

Mmm, yes. I race sailboats on one of the SW London reservoirs, and rigging the boats on a Wednesday evening everyone would look up as the regular 6:15ish flight went overhead.

Some one said of Concorde very wisely that whilst the rich got to travel in it, we all got to watch them, and the watching was better than the travelling.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Naming conventions?

Is it just me?

My first thought on seeing this article, "she's so beautiful". But never has a singular and plural been so screwed up in the aviation world.

Ever since the first Concorde flew, every extra Concorde built was referred to by the public as Concorde. I swear some people thought there was only one.

"I saw Concorde fly overhead today!" Did you, which one? Was it a British Airways one, an Air France one or a pre-production one?" There were twenty of them built you know.

Would you say, "I saw Jumbo Jet today". Of course you bloody well wouldn't, you would say "I saw a Jumbo Jet today". I'm showing my age, I saw my first 747 in 1974 ish at Manchester Airport, courtesy of Wardair. I saw a BA Concorde take off from the observation area on top of one of the terminals at LHR a few years later. Unforgettable apart from the dropped nose spoiling her beautiful lines. Bless 'em all.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like