back to article Bank robber reveals identity – by using his debit card during crime

On January 3, Alvin Lee Neal received a 46-month prison sentence for robbing a Wells Fargo Bank in San Diego, California, and was ordered to pay back the $565 taken. Neal, a registered sex offender, acknowledged his role in the May 13, 2016 robbery in a plea agreement with the US Attorney's Office of Southern California. As …

Page:

1. Dale 3

I call fake

No way someone this thick would have spelled "you're" correctly.

1. Tannin

Re: I call fake

Good point. But he's 57. He grew up in an era when most people - yes, even poor people towards the lower end of the IQ scale with not too much formal education - could add up well enough to make change without computer aid, and were more-or-less literate. Different story if he was, say, 35.

Alternatively, one might suppose that a literatre journalist or sub-editor corrected his spelling - but only if one happened to believe that there are literatre journalists and sub-editors remaining in the wild.

2. Barry Rueger

Old School!

Some forty years ago, before ATM cards and PINs, I knew a bank teller. Conversation naturally turned to bank robbery.

It wasn't surprising that the rule was "Give them the money in the drawer without argument."

The surprising bit was how often they caught the culprit because he had written his hold up note on the back of his own pre-printed cheque or deposit slip.

The lower echelons of crime haven't changed much in four decades.

3. Winkypop Silver badge

Regardless of any previous

Things must be very bad if 4 years in US chokey is preferable.

4. ukgnome

This could never happen in the UK - the queues make you forget what you were in for.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like