nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Slim pickings by the Biggest Loser: A year of fitness wearables

Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
IT Angle

I bet

hes got a flat tyre around the waist now rather than a spare tyre.

On the bright side , you could have it removed and thus never be able to get fat again for risk of tearing in 1/2 or leave it so you have plenty of spare skin if you get burned...

Craig 2

Congratulations on reaching your target. The article is up to your usual whimsical humorous standards and certainly has some truths about unforseen consequences of weight loss.

However... the mistake you made with fitness tracker tech is just being too tight. Get a proper Garmin (or whatever brand) GPS watch. Much more suitable than the trendy fitbit type wristbands. No need to take your phone everywhere and GPS means it actually knows how far you've been. A heart-rate strap will more accurately track calories burned during static excercises such as spinning. If you're in it for the long run then it's worth the investment. Good luck keeping it up in 2017!

Alistair Dabbs

Tom Tom do GPS fitness watches, and are typical of those that cannot desensitise when being worn on the right wrist instead of left.

Jeffrey Nonken Silver badge

Please feel free to flatter yourself. For myself, I missed my usual pre-weekend dose of Dabbsy humour and am pleased you're back.

'Grats on the weight loss and condolences on the pater loss. My own still lives but is in a nursing home, needs constant care, can no longer express himself in words... There's still a mind in there, he stays awake and pays attention when I talk about work, but the peripheral systems are slowly failing.

I cannot imagine anything more boring than me talking about work, but I suppose it's the only geek talk he gets to hear any more.

Anyway, glad to have you back.

Kiwi
Unhappy

My condolences for the loss of your father

It is bad enough to lose a parent. Around Christmas always makes it that much worse.

My condolences sir.

Roland6 Silver badge

"Some are even purpose-built for being worn uniquely on the left wrist."

This is a problem I've found all too common with conventional wristwatches at all price points - other than bespoke...

Groklawzombie@mailinator.com

Condolences Man - Sorry for your loss.

Yeah :-(

LongtimeLurkerNewbieCommentard

My first ever post on El Reg - i just wish it were under different circumstances.

Alistair, your ramblings are the main reason i come here, and like everyone i'm so glad you're back. I had been wondering why you were absent... didn't imagine that it was because something terrible had happened.

Just wanted to say I'm truly sorry for the loss of your Dad. I raised a sombre glass to his memory last night and will do the same again later. Hope you're bearing up as well as can be expected...

Queasy Rider

Sad times

Just lost a fave uncle (last of his generation)on my little brother's birthday. Yup, it hurts. My heartfelt condolences.

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing