back to article Forget aircraft – now cretins are laser-blinding ferry boat crewmen

The Washington State Ferry service, on the US west coast, appears to have some high-tech enemies: a series of laser attacks have been fired at pilots on the craft that serve Seattle's Elliott Bay and the surrounding locales. On New Year's Eve the captain and the first mate of the ferry Tacoma were temporarily unsighted when …

Page:

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Cretins...

Please don't insult pond scum.

1. David 132 Silver badge
    Flame

You ask why?

but you have to wonder what twisted fun these laser-wielding morons think they are having.

I suspect that if you asked one of these mouth-breathing chavs, you'd get that perennial answer/excuse:

"Well, it's a laff, innit?"

I'm afraid that on matters of social recidivism such as this, I'm of the hanging-drawing-and-quartering's-too-good-for-'em persuasion.

1. Just Enough

Re: You ask why?

"but you have to wonder what twisted fun these laser-wielding morons think they are having."

There's a verb there that doesn't belong in this context. Can you spot it?

Don't attribute faculties to people that they don't have.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... where can I get one like the crazy guy on the front page has?

3. Ralph B

Dragonfire?

Are we sure this chap wasn't just a contractor working for the Dragonfire consortium?

They have to be doing something with that £30m.

4. tony2heads

Filters

Lasers are inherently narrow band so I suggest that all cockpits (and bridges on ferries) should be fitted with filters to remove the green laser lights.

If that is too expensive, give the pilots googles with filters.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Filters

Not just green light though.

Slippery slope if you start filtering certain bands of certain colours, given that in boat navigation green and red lights are used extensively to show you what route to take.

Filters coudl potentially make navigation buoy lights harder to see which is not great if visibility is poor anyway.

Yes I know there are lots of fancy GPS nav systems for boats, but you can get situations in ports etc where an incident means lanes need to temporarily change so for belt & braces approach you need to see lights to know you are not going somewhere risky

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Filters - or retro-reflectors

And fit the vessels with retro-reflectors. Then the perpetrators will gain instant justice. Inexpensive, easy to fit, passive, self-targeting.

5. Potemkine Silver badge

"Les cons, ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Morons dare everything, actually, that's how you know they're morons.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This:

Engage Devils Advocate mode / Check: On

" In a previous incident, the captain of a ferry and his first mate suffered permanent retinal burns after local resident Mark Raden........"

With WHAT??

A 50mw green laser??

Wouldnt do ANYTHING to eyes unless almost staring directley into the beam, even then the blink response would shut the laser light out.

I'm not condoning i'm just curious as to what laser was used and at what distance they were "hit" to cause permanent retinal damage as the monies paid as compensation seem very very small for losing eyesight.

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

Re: This:

50mW (1/20W) may not be insignificant when focused onto a retina. It's not just the heating: the term "burn" is used here to describe the effect of very bright light on the pigmented receptors. The good collimation of a laser means that a signficant portion of the power reaches the target. (The beam doesn't spread).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This:

With WHAT?? A 50mw green laser??

Do a bit of a search, and you'll see that the device confiscated from Raden was a 5,000 mW blue industrial purpose laser that cost the fat end of $200 (picture of the actual confiscated device are out there). I'd say that the crew were rather lucky they didn't get more serious eye injuries, and Raden got off far too lightly.

We're about the misuse of a laser gun sight, a presentation pointer, or even a middleweight class IIIA unit: This was a relatively costly purchase, bought as a weapon, used intentionally as a weapon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This: @ledswinger

All i can find is reference to a "powerfull blue laser".

So, i agree as i own a 1watt blue laser i wouldn't want that near my eyes, however, the lenses are generally poor and the focal lenght is only a few metres away.

Of course upgraded optics are availble.

7. Ed3

Christmas Decorations

Slightly apropos, was driving through a neighborhood the other night when I was hit with a green flash. It was for half a second and did not affect my night vision, but was certainly annoying.

Long story longer, it was one of those laser Christmas decoration things. It was pointed at the house, but one of the beams was hitting something reflective which allowed "leakage" toward the street.

1. TheDillinquent
      Facepalm

Re: Christmas Decorations

I rather suspect that most of the reported 'laser incidents' are accidental rather than malicious. To do any real damage (i.e. not just claimed injury for insurance purposes) a high power laser would have to be held on target for more than a few milliseconds.

As most freely available LPs are in the milliwatt class and given the difficulty of holding a beam on target at anything over a few metres distance I think that the dangers have been exaggerated.

The evidence seems to support this. With than 5,352 lasering incidents recorded in 2015 if there was any real danger one would have expected at least some of these to have real repercussions.

8. Julifriend
    WTF?

A moron in an Impreza flashed a green laser at my car windscreen one night a couple of weeks ago after I had the audacity to flash my lights after he cut me up and forced me to brake sharply to avoid an accident. Regrettably his rear number plate was so filthy his registration plate could not be read.

1. Lotaresco

Person of mean disposition

"A moron in an Impreza"

Bzzt tautology.

" flashed a green laser at my car windscreen "

Some divot was doing the same from the bridge over the M11 at J8A for Stansted. Fortunately he was behind me, but the inside of the car lit up. The mirror auto-dimmed. I reported it to plod who seemed to not give a damn, not even when I pointed out that he was probably there to target aircraft landing at Stansted. Even more galling is that the police have a traffic outpost at Birchanger so arresting the idiot would have been child's play.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Let's just get Old Testament about this. An eye for an eye. And go to the permanent back of the queue for a guide dog.

10. Floydian Slip
    Mushroom

Hmmmm.......

I'm wondering whether a lower powered device could be built in to the front of my rear view mirror to annoy the idiots who sit at junctions and hold their car on the brakes, rather than using the hand (parking) brake or just releasing the brakes when they come to a standstill on level ground.

It's a real pain to be dazzled on long winter nights by the moron in front. More so when it's a new Audi TT because Audi seem to have forgotten that the high level brake light should be exactly that, HIGH level. It defeats the purpose to have it mounted along the edge of the boot and the new Audi's goes from edge to edge - an almost unbroken strip of bright red LEDs from one side of the car t'other.

</rant>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmmm.......

I was no.9 in a two lane queue at the lights last week, EVERY car in front of me was sat with their brake lights on.

I wish I still owned a high power air rifle.

I got stuck behind another moron (Audi TT natch.) in heavy traffic - with her fogs blazing, by dint of magic (same 2 lane section as above), I got in front and slapped MY rear fogs on - she had the nerve to flash me!!!

5 minutes later, and she was in front again, still with her fogs on, and yelling at me through her window as she went past.

2. Vladimir Nicolici

I almost always keep my car on the brakes. Reduces the risk of being hit from behind by people not realizing you are stopped. Yes, if I know I will be stopped for more than 2 minutes I may use the parking brake, after another car stops behind me.

Depending on visibility, when I'm the last car stopped in a column of cars, I may even turn on my fog light and my blinkers if I estimate the cars behind me might be surprised that I'm stopped there.

As an additional advantage, holding the brake provides a clue to the one behind you that you are about to move when you release the brake, and people reacting more quickly means more cars will be able to cross the junction during the green light.

And if you are dazzled by brake lights you may want to consult an eye doctor. If your eyes are so tired, you may need glasses, or you have been driving for too long, which is a safety issue in itself.

1. Fonant

So your car is invisible when stopped, even with the legally-required and standard tail lights? But then suddenly becomes visible if the rear lights get a little bit brighter?

Suggest you read the Highway Code again, and check the section about fog lights, Rule 236:

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

This rule is a MUST because it is covered by a law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/27/made

1. Kiwi
          FAIL

So your car is invisible when stopped, even with the legally-required and standard tail lights? But then suddenly becomes visible if the rear lights get a little bit brighter?

And yet so many nose-tail crashes occur because the person coming from behind didn't realise the vehicle in front was completely stopped, or thought they were starting off. But as most modern vehicles have some sort of extra brakelight fitted, it's not just brighter lights but an extra light that shows that the driver has the brakes on the vehicle and is therefore either stopped or slowing.

When you are approaching a stationary or slow vehicle at any speed, it can be difficult to determine how fast they are going to judge your speed accordingly, and too many people wind up in accidents because people suck at this. The extra bulb in a different position helps.

Me, I'm watching what is behind me more than what is in front. I will use my brakes to indicate (via the high stop light) that I am stopped/slowing, to protect myself from a crash. Often I will flash my brakes as someone is approaching, especially when on the bike. Better to risk someone being briefly dazzled by RED light than them hitting and injuring/killing someone. Would you rather I inconvenience you by a bit of extra red light or the plod inconvenience you by a date with the beak on a careless driving charge?

(you do know why astronomers use RED, right? If it's a problem clean your windscreen or get your eyes checked!)

11. Haku

Incedents like this is precicely why I've never bought green laser pointers for friends or friends of friends who have on more than one occasion now seen my one and asked me to get me them one the next time I'm shopping online for stuff.

If they're too stupid to use the internet to buy a simple laser pointer they're too stupid to be in posession of one - I won't be party to that level of idiocy.

12. Juan Inamillion

The law

I would have thought, in the instance of actual harm, that charges of either ABH or GBH could have have been applicable (at least in the UK, or equivalent in the US). Some fairly serious sentencing could then be applied. 'Assault with a deadly weapon' ... hmmm..

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon