back to article IBM staff petition for right not to work on Trump's pet projects

IBM staff have petitioned the company to – among other things – express concern that “IBM CEO Ginni Rometty's open letter to President-elect Donald Trump does not affirm IBMers' core values of diversity, inclusiveness, and ethical business conduct.” The petition's authors respect Rometty's “willingness to engage in …

Page:

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Holmes

IBM and the Democrats

"the great Thomas Watson would not have been in favor of that form of pre-judging either."

Both TJ Watson and TJ Watson Jr were strong Democrats and everybody knew it. Jr for example became infamous in 1959 for advocating higher taxes, and he was close to JFK and on good terms with LBJ. I don't think Republican IBMers in those days would have flaunted it.

1. dalethorn

Those lying hypocritical employees aren't about to share their fat paychecks and pensions with the poor and immigrants, so fire them - today!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

lawl

If the H-1Bs refuse to participate in Trump's initiatives, IBM can always find Americans willing to do the work.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Are The Poll Numbers?

"The petition has been live for over a week and at the time of writing had recently passed 100 signatories, a slow takeup attributed to limited circulation."

Only 100 signatures due to "Limited Circulation"?

Sure, lets go with that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Are The Poll Numbers?

> Only 100 signatures due to "Limited Circulation"?

> Sure, lets go with that.

Yeah :) "Career suicide" was the term that sprang to mind!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hm. A company that respects principles. The only large consultancy that comes to mind is Thoughtworks.

http://martinfowler.com/articles/vote-against-trump.html

5. YARR

Ethical according to whom?

Is there an agreed standard on what is ethical? As explained earlier in this thread, people often hold self-contradictory ethical views without realising it.

Historically a nation is a local population who defend an exclusive territory to provide for their current and future needs. A nation guarantees a distinct people a future place in the world, and independence, regardless of their wealth or material aspirations.

In modern America, Americans have no say over who can become American or indeed whether anyone else should have that right. Current politically-correct laws and globalist ethics / propaganda side with immigrants. Americans have no say over who can colonise their country, and consequently the future face of their nation, despite being the people who have historically invested in and defended their nation.

Is it unethical if a current majority within a country are opposed to being displaced, such as America's present Christian majority being replaced by Muslims in coming decades? Should larger populations in global terms have an assumed right to displace smaller populations who are presently a majority in their own countries? Should the wealthiest be able to acquire ever more property from those poorer than them? A nation defended remains the collective property of a population and guarantees freedom from slavery by a wealthy elite, or dispossession by outsiders.

1. LaeMing
      Facepalm

Re: Ethical according to whom?

Tell it to the various Native American nations a few centuries ago!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm...

Good luck with that petition. Management isn't going to budge. They don't care.

7. Herby

IBM also has the right to NOT PAY THEM

If they don't want to work on the projects.

Pretty simple trade if you ask me. I'm sure there are people who WILL work on the projects necessary.

Sounds like a temper tantrum to me, and I thought these were the domain of 4-5 year olds. Get real!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I actually disagree very strongly with several of the points in the petition. Affirmative action is unfair. These people don't represent me as an IBMer.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like